Old 03-25-2011, 01:55 AM
Paul Elliott

Default upstream source contains .gif files.

My upstream source contains .gif files that are not essential. If I delete
these file and never use them, can I use this tarball as my pristine source,
or must I resource?

Thank You.

P.S. there are a lot of complicated rules to create a package.
--
Paul Elliott 1(512)837-1096
pelliott@BlackPatchPanel.com PMB 181, 11900 Metric Blvd Suite J

Old 03-25-2011, 02:08 AM
"Jason L Tibbitts III"

PE> My upstream source contains .gif files that are not essential. If I
PE> delete these file and never use them, can I use this tarball as my
PE> pristine source, or must I resource?

Why do you think you would need to do so? Are those files under a
license that is not acceptable for Fedora?

- J<

Old 03-25-2011, 04:38 AM
Paul Elliott

On Thursday, March 24, 2011 10:08:00 pm Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:
> PE> My upstream source contains .gif files that are not essential. If I
> PE> delete these file and never use them, can I use this tarball as my
> PE> pristine source, or must I resource?
>
> Why do you think you would need to do so? Are those files under a
> license that is not acceptable for Fedora?

Nevermind, I found out that patent expired.....

Old 03-26-2011, 10:29 AM
Michel Alexandre Salim

On 03/25/2011 06:38 AM, Paul Elliott wrote:
>> PE> My upstream source contains .gif files that are not essential. If I
>> PE> delete these file and never use them, can I use this tarball as my
>> PE> pristine source, or must I resource?
>>
>> Why do you think you would need to do so? Are those files under a
>> license that is not acceptable for Fedora?
>>

> Nevermind, I found out that patent expired.....

Even before the patent expired, I don't think you were prohibited from
having GIF files, just to actually make use of them?

Michel Alexandre Salim

Old 03-28-2011, 04:48 PM
Toshio Kuratomi

On Sat, Mar 26, 2011 at 12:29:35PM +0100, Michel Alexandre Salim wrote:

> >> Why do you think you would need to do so? Are those files under a
> >> license that is not acceptable for Fedora?
> >>

> > Nevermind, I found out that patent expired.....
> >
> Even before the patent expired, I don't think you were prohibited from
> having GIF files, just to actually make use of them?

In particular, to write them. The reading of gif files was not under
the unisys patent.

-Toshio