Old 03-21-2011, 12:10 PM
Michel Alexandre Salim

Default Renaming historical Python packages (e.g. MySQL-python)

Hi all,

Juha Tuomala (IRC: Tuju) and I were wondering if we should get
MySQL-python renamed. The rationale is that these days we sometimes have
several Python stacks on the same release, and it would be nice to be
easily able to see which packages have been rebuilt or not (e.g.
python26-PKG, python-PKG, python3-PKG).

MySQLdb (current name: MySQL-python) seems to get its name from the
released tarball. Juha wants to package a python26 build of MySQLdb but
prefers a python26- prefix. Question:

1) should it go ahead, with the main MySQLdb package not renamed, or
should the python26 package name always correspond to its "default
Python" counterpart?
2) if we are renaming, should it be to python*-MySQLdb? that's what the
Python module is called. or to python*-mysql ?

Thanks,

--
Michel Alexandre Salim
Fedora Project Contributor: http://fedoraproject.org/