Old 03-14-2011, 05:34 AM
Toshio Kuratomi

Default Fwd: systemd guidelines update

The draft page has been updated to only reflect guidelines for new services
so that FPC can try to work on and vote on it and then work on and vote on
migration separately if necessary.

The scriptlets are on
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/TomCallaway/Systemd_Revised_Draft

Some idea for testing are on:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Toshio/Testing_systemd

The top few test cases are written out step by step with expected output...
But there's really a whole matrix of tests and many of the tests that should
be run are just mentioned as "Do the same as above but change this one
aspect". *If you run those tests and record how you did them it will make it
easier to test the scriptlets again when we add the migration portions.

-Toshio

Old 03-14-2011, 06:38 AM
Ville Skyttä

On 03/14/2011 08:34 AM, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:

> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/TomCallaway/Systemd_Revised_Draft

At start of that document:

| Each package that contains software that wants/needs to start a
| service at boot must have a systemd unit file.

...and later:

| At the moment, these Fedora Guidelines are only for new services.

So does that mean that all packages that want to start a service at boot
need to have a systemd unit file, or only new packages need to have it?

Old 03-14-2011, 02:30 PM
Toshio Kuratomi

On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 09:38:27AM +0200, Ville Skyttä wrote:
> On 03/14/2011 08:34 AM, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
>
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/TomCallaway/Systemd_Revised_Draft
>
> At start of that document:
>
> | Each package that contains software that wants/needs to start a
> | service at boot must have a systemd unit file.
>
> ...and later:
>
> | At the moment, these Fedora Guidelines are only for new services.
>
> So does that mean that all packages that want to start a service at boot
> need to have a systemd unit file, or only new packages need to have it?

We'll need to update the top portion to match the bottom portion until we
get the migration portion of the guidelines.

Note that the intention would be that packages already in the distro will be
migrated as time goes on rather than we must immediately make the switch...
Depending on how close we get to F15 release, we might want to be more
formal about when we need to switch over.

-Toshio

Old 03-15-2011, 09:12 AM
"Nicolas Mailhot"

Le Lun 14 mars 2011 16:30, Toshio Kuratomi a écrit :

> Note that the intention would be that packages already in the distro will be
> migrated as time goes on rather than we must immediately make the switch...

Right now I still see sysV services which are supposed to start up on boot
(chkconfig on) not being started by systemd on my box.

Are we really sure such problems will be ironed out before release? Because it
may be easier and safer to convert everyone now rather than hunting compat
bugs till the last minute.

--
Nicolas Mailhot