Old 03-06-2011, 03:05 PM
Mike Ramirez

Default Question about missing CGI.pm

I wnet to #fedora first, they sent me to upstream, I checked with #perl, no reply. Then I realized this is the probably the best place to ask.

I had an issue earlier where CGI.pm wasn't installed (or in the @INC path). Searching a bit more shows me that perl-core meta-package (not installed) lists it as a dependency (requires perl-CGI), perl package says it provides it though [1]. This is fedora 13 installed from the KDE spin.

Also, I don't install many perl packages for my own use, so the packages that depend on it are not installed. Which this and the KDE spin base, makes me suspect this makes it a race condition.

I also saw the bug report (Bug 486579 ) but was listed as wont fix (this suggests splitting perl-CGI into two seperate packages), it appears to have been rejected as a wontfix

Technically, the question is, why isn't CGI.pm installed/available with just perl, is this a bug, race condition or expected behavior?

The reason this comes up is that Go lang just introduced new tests that require CGI.pm, which is what I require it for. The go team is going to change the tests to skip it if CGI.pm isn't available I think.

I did fix this with `yum install perl-CGI`.

Also the go maintainer might want to add this to the spec file for go-lang with the rpm that distributes the tests.

Mike

[1] http://pkgs.org/fedora-13/fedora-x86_64/perl-5.10.1-112.fc13.x86_64.rpm.html

--

Operators killed by year 2000 bug bite.

Old 03-06-2011, 04:02 PM
Paul Howarth

On Sun, 6 Mar 2011 08:05:43 -0800
Mike Ramirez <gufymike@gmail.com> wrote:

> I wnet to #fedora first, they sent me to upstream, I checked with
> #perl, no reply. Then I realized this is the probably the best place
> to ask.
>
> I had an issue earlier where CGI.pm wasn't installed (or in the @INC
> path). Searching a bit more shows me that perl-core meta-package (not
> installed) lists it as a dependency (requires perl-CGI), perl package
> says it provides it though [1]. This is fedora 13 installed from the
> KDE spin.
>
> Also, I don't install many perl packages for my own use, so the
> packages that depend on it are not installed. Which this and the KDE
> spin base, makes me suspect this makes it a race condition.
>
> I also saw the bug report (Bug 486579 ) but was listed as wont fix
> (this suggests splitting perl-CGI into two seperate packages), it
> appears to have been rejected as a wontfix
>
> Technically, the question is, why isn't CGI.pm installed/available
> with just perl, is this a bug, race condition or expected behavior?
>
> The reason this comes up is that Go lang just introduced new tests
> that require CGI.pm, which is what I require it for. The go team is
> going to change the tests to skip it if CGI.pm isn't available I
> think.
>
> I did fix this with `yum install perl-CGI`.
>
> Also the go maintainer might want to add this to the spec file for
> go-lang with the rpm that distributes the tests.

Yes, if a package needs it for its test suite, the spec for that
package should have:

BuildRequires: perl(CGI)

That will work regardless of whether CGI.pm is in the main perl package
or in a separate perl-CGI package.

Paul.