Old 02-21-2011, 08:46 PM
Sergio Belkin

Default Question about File listeng in the spec file

Hi

At http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/ReviewGuidelines#Package_Review_Process
it states

"A Fedora package must not list a file more than once in the spec
file's %files listings. (Notable exception: license texts in specific
situations)."

But what about a subpackage "static" (library)? What if there are some
basic documentation files common to both non-static and static
packages?

Thanks in advance!

Sergio Belkin *http://www.sergiobelkin.com
Watch More TV http://sebelk.blogspot.com
LPIC-2 Certified

Old 02-21-2011, 09:03 PM
Michael Schwendt

On Mon, 21 Feb 2011 18:46:02 -0300, Sergio wrote:

> Hi
>
> At http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/ReviewGuidelines#Package_Review_Process
> it states
>
> "A Fedora package must not list a file more than once in the spec
> file's %files listings. (Notable exception: license texts in specific
> situations)."
>
> But what about a subpackage "static" (library)? What if there are some
> basic documentation files common to both non-static and static
> packages?

Very likely there are other files which are shared, e.g. header
files. It's not necessary to duplicate them either. You can make
the -static pkg require the -devel pkg.

Old 02-21-2011, 09:35 PM
Jussi Lehtola

Sergio Belkin <sebelk@gmail.com> wrote:
> At
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/ReviewGuidelines#Package_Review_Process
> it states
>
> "A Fedora package must not list a file more than once in the spec
> file's %files listings. (Notable exception: license texts in specific
> situations)."
>
> But what about a subpackage "static" (library)? What if there are some
> basic documentation files common to both non-static and static
> packages?

Packaging static libraries is a bit unusual in Fedora, since it is
better to link things dynamically; only few packages provide static
libraries.

The -devel package usually only contains development headers and
the .so symlink to the dynamic library, so in 99% of the cases you just
make the -static package require the -devel package, which contains all
of the necessary stuff.
--
Jussi Lehtola
Fedora Project Contributor

Old 02-21-2011, 11:13 PM
Sergio Belkin

Old 02-21-2011, 11:22 PM
Sergio Belkin

2011/2/21 Jussi Lehtola <jussilehtola@fedoraproject.org>:
> On Mon, 21 Feb 2011 18:46:02 -0300
> Sergio Belkin <sebelk@gmail.com> wrote:
>> At
>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/ReviewGuidelines#Package_Review_Process
>> it states
>>
>> "A Fedora package must not list a file more than once in the spec
>> file's %files listings. (Notable exception: license texts in specific
>> situations)."
>>
>> But what about a subpackage "static" (library)? What if there are some
>> basic documentation files common to both non-static and static
>> packages?
>
> Packaging static libraries is a bit unusual in Fedora, since it is
> better to link things dynamically; only few packages provide static
> libraries.

Thanks Jussi, So, definitely Can I disable the static subpackage with
no feeling of remorse ?

> The -devel package usually only contains development headers and
> the .so symlink to the dynamic library, so in 99% of the cases you just
> make the -static package require the -devel package,

great! That's make the "magic" thing. Even that I understand reading
documentation and what you comment that it's fine disable static
subpackage, isn't it?

which contains all

Old 02-21-2011, 11:26 PM
Sergio Belkin

2011/2/21 Michael Schwendt <mschwendt@gmail.com>:
> On Mon, 21 Feb 2011 18:46:02 -0300, Sergio wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> At http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/ReviewGuidelines#Package_Review_Process
>> it states
>>
>> "A Fedora package must not list a file more than once in the spec
>> file's %files listings. (Notable exception: license texts in specific
>> situations)."
>>
>> But what about a subpackage "static" (library)? What if there are some
>> basic documentation files common to both non-static and static
>> packages?
>
> Very likely there are other files which are shared, e.g. header
> files. It's not necessary to duplicate them either. You can make
> the -static pkg require the -devel pkg.
> --
Thanks Michael that does the trick

Old 02-21-2011, 11:36 PM
Jussi Lehtola

On Mon, 21 Feb 2011 21:22:25 -0300
Sergio Belkin <sebelk@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2011/2/21 Jussi Lehtola <jussilehtola@fedoraproject.org>:
> > On Mon, 21 Feb 2011 18:46:02 -0300
> > Sergio Belkin <sebelk@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> At
> >> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/ReviewGuidelines#Package_Review_Process
> >> it states
> >>
> >> "A Fedora package must not list a file more than once in the spec
> >> file's %files listings. (Notable exception: license texts in
> >> specific situations)."
> >>
> >> But what about a subpackage "static" (library)? What if there are
> >> some basic documentation files common to both non-static and static
> >> packages?
> >
> > Packaging static libraries is a bit unusual in Fedora, since it is
> > better to link things dynamically; only few packages provide static
> > libraries.
>
> Thanks Jussi, So, definitely Can I disable the static subpackage with
> no feeling of remorse ?

Yes - you can either disable the build of the static library altogether
(if the program uses autotools, adding --disable-static to the
configure flags should work), or remove it at the end of the %install
phase with
rm %{buildroot}%{_libdir}/*.a