Old 02-15-2011, 06:39 PM
Rex Dieter

Default mime type not associating with gui application

On 02/15/2011 01:11 PM, Erik Blankinship wrote:
> How do I create my spec file so that I my gui application can be
> launched by double clicking a filetype it is associated with via mimetype?
>
> This is what I've done so far:
> - I have updated my .desktop file so that it
> includes MimeType=application/x-supes-saved;

good.

> - In my spec I have successfully used xdg-mime and xdg-icon-resource so
> that files with my custom extension (.supes) has my custom icon.

bad. xdg-* tools are intended for user-space, not system-space (ie, not
to be used in pkg scriptlets).

See here for details,
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/ScriptletSnippets

sections on 'desktop-database', 'mimeinfo', and possibly 'icon-cache'

-- Rex

Old 02-15-2011, 06:40 PM
Erik Blankinship

How do I create my spec file so that I my gui application can be launched by double clicking a filetype it is associated with via mimetype?
This is what I've done so far:- I have updated my .desktop file so that it includes*MimeType=application/x-supes-saved;

Modified my .desktop file so that exec=/path/to/app.py %F
Now, when I double click on a file associated with my mime type, my application comes up in the list of files I can associate with that file's extension.

Is there a way to bind the extension and the application when my rpm is installed?

Old 02-15-2011, 08:44 PM
Erik Blankinship

> - In my spec I have successfully used xdg-mime and xdg-icon-resource so

> that files with my custom extension (.supes) has my custom icon.

bad. *xdg-* tools are intended for user-space, not system-space (ie, not

to be used in pkg scriptlets).

See here for details,

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/ScriptletSnippets

sections on 'desktop-database', 'mimeinfo', and possibly 'icon-cache'

Thanks Rex! *I did not notice my icons and mime types associations were being set on rpmbuild. *Now I have my application associated with my custom mime-type using scriptlets. *

However, I am not clear on how I am supposed to associate files with my mime-type with a custom icon. **
xdg-icon-resource made it pretty simple to associate an icon with a mimetype, but if I am reading*https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/ScriptletSnippets#Icon_Cache correctly, I need to create an icon for every theme? *Is there a preferred way to just set a custom icon for all themes?

Old 02-15-2011, 08:49 PM
Erik Blankinship

xdg-icon-resource made it pretty simple to associate an icon with a mimetype, but if I am reading*https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/ScriptletSnippets#Icon_Cache correctly, I need to create an icon for every theme? *Is there a preferred way to just set a custom icon for all themes?

got it
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/packaging/2008-July/004827.html