Old 02-08-2011, 01:35 PM
Bruno Wolff III

Default invalid soname question?

Am I getting the warning below because there is a period in the lib name?
mygui-devel.i686: E: invalid-soname /usr/lib/libMyGUI.OgrePlatform.so

If so, is it really an error?

Old 03-30-2011, 03:18 PM
Michael Schwendt

On Tue, 8 Feb 2011 08:35:03 -0600, Bruno wrote:

> Am I getting the warning below because there is a period in the lib name?
> mygui-devel.i686: E: invalid-soname /usr/lib/libMyGUI.OgrePlatform.so
>
> If so, is it really an error?

(far behind with some of my folders)

As no reply is listed in this thread:

rpmlint verbose info would say: 'The soname of the library is neither of

The period really isn't the problem, the missing version number is.
Often it's an error because it bears a higher risk of causing breakage.

Btw, "mygui" in Fedora 14 is mispackaged related to this. This lib
has been moved into a private directory %_libdir/MYGUI/ where it is
placed outside run-time linker's search path. The lib isn't found by
the -tools and -demos, which are linked with it. Additionally, some
of the packages suffer from unowned directories.

Old 03-30-2011, 04:44 PM
Bruno Wolff III

On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 17:18:00 +0200,
Michael Schwendt <mschwendt@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Feb 2011 08:35:03 -0600, Bruno wrote:
>
> > Am I getting the warning below because there is a period in the lib name?
> > mygui-devel.i686: E: invalid-soname /usr/lib/libMyGUI.OgrePlatform.so
> >
> > If so, is it really an error?
>

> (far behind with some of my folders)
>
> As no reply is listed in this thread:
>
> rpmlint verbose info would say: 'The soname of the library is neither of
>
> The period really isn't the problem, the missing version number is.
> Often it's an error because it bears a higher risk of causing breakage.
>
> Btw, "mygui" in Fedora 14 is mispackaged related to this. This lib
> has been moved into a private directory %_libdir/MYGUI/ where it is
> placed outside run-time linker's search path. The lib isn't found by
> the -tools and -demos, which are linked with it. Additionally, some
> of the packages suffer from unowned directories.

Thanks. I filed a bug about this. I'll look at getting things fixed for this,
probably in an F16 time frame, as it will be past beta by the time I get
a chance to look at it in depth and I don't want to break other packages.

Old 03-30-2011, 05:14 PM
Michael Schwendt

On Wed, 30 Mar 2011 11:44:57 -0500, Bruno wrote:

> > On Tue, 8 Feb 2011 08:35:03 -0600, Bruno wrote:
> >
> > > Am I getting the warning below because there is a period in the lib name?
> > > mygui-devel.i686: E: invalid-soname /usr/lib/libMyGUI.OgrePlatform.so
> > >
> > > If so, is it really an error?
> >

> > (far behind with some of my folders)
> >
> > As no reply is listed in this thread:
> >
> > rpmlint verbose info would say: 'The soname of the library is neither of
> >
> > The period really isn't the problem, the missing version number is.
> > Often it's an error because it bears a higher risk of causing breakage.
> >
> > Btw, "mygui" in Fedora 14 is mispackaged related to this. This lib
> > has been moved into a private directory %_libdir/MYGUI/ where it is
> > placed outside run-time linker's search path. The lib isn't found by
> > the -tools and -demos, which are linked with it. Additionally, some
> > of the packages suffer from unowned directories.
>
> Thanks. I filed a bug about this. I'll look at getting things fixed for this,
> probably in an F16 time frame, as it will be past beta by the time I get
> a chance to look at it in depth and I don't want to break other packages.

No other packages depend on it:

$ repoquery --alldeps --whatrequires mygui
mygui-0:3.0.1-5.fc15.i686
mygui-0:3.0.1-5.fc15.x86_64
mygui-demos-0:3.0.1-5.fc15.x86_64
mygui-devel-0:3.0.1-5.fc15.i686
mygui-devel-0:3.0.1-5.fc15.x86_64
mygui-tools-0:3.0.1-5.fc15.x86_64

Actually, to have the run-time linker find libMyGUI.OgrePlatform.so in
%_libdir/MYGUI/, the package adds a file in /etc/ld.so.conf/. Rather
pointless, because then it could be stored directly in %_libdir instead.

Currently, the reinstalled -demos and -tools seem to work, too, so the
problems with unowned dirs are minor.

On F-15, libMyGUI.OgrePlatform.so is duplicated, as it is included also in
mygui-devel ... directly in %_libdir.

Old 03-31-2011, 03:15 AM
Guido Grazioli

2011/3/31 Michael Schwendt <mschwendt@gmail.com>
> On Wed, 30 Mar 2011 11:44:57 -0500, Bruno wrote:
> > > Btw, "mygui" in Fedora 14 is mispackaged related to this. This lib
> > > has been moved into a private directory %_libdir/MYGUI/ where it is
> > > placed outside run-time linker's search path. The lib isn't found by
> > > the -tools and -demos, which are linked with it. Additionally, some
> > > of the packages suffer from unowned directories.
> >
> > Thanks. I filed a bug about this. I'll look at getting things fixed for this,
> > probably in an F16 time frame, as it will be past beta by the time I get
> > a chance to look at it in depth and I don't want to break other packages.
>

> Actually, to have the run-time linker find libMyGUI.OgrePlatform.so in
> %_libdir/MYGUI/, the package adds a file in /etc/ld.so.conf/. Rather
> pointless, because then it could be stored directly in %_libdir instead.

Sorry for not having noticed this thread until Bruno filed the ticket;
MyGui is a multiplatform library that supports binary plugins, and the binary
wrapper to the underlying 3d framework is implemented as a plugin as well
(Ogre in this case); because of this i decided to create a private directory
for MyGui plugins, while the main library libMyGUIEngine.so is under /usr/lib.
Unfortunately there were no plugins available for the linux platform,
or without legal issues, at the moment of packaging it. The plan was
to have this libMyGUI.OgrePlatform.so in a separate subpackage, as well
as other plugins while they were coming out.

> On F-15, libMyGUI.OgrePlatform.so is duplicated, as it is included also in
> mygui-devel ... directly in %_libdir.

That's unexpected to me, i'm still using F-14; Bruno is it a result of your
recent work on updating from upstream?

Guido
--
Guido Grazioli <guido.grazioli@gmail.com>
Via Parri 11 48011 - Alfonsine (RA)

Old 03-31-2011, 04:09 AM
Bruno Wolff III

On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 14:15:44 +1100,

> > On F-15, libMyGUI.OgrePlatform.so is duplicated, as it is included also in
> > mygui-devel ... directly in %_libdir.
>
> That's unexpected to me, i'm still using F-14; Bruno is it a result of your
> recent work on updating from upstream?

It is certainly possible that I made a mistake when trying to do the update
for F15.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:48 AM
Michael Schwendt

On Thu, 31 Mar 2011 14:15:44 +1100, Guido wrote:

> > Actually, to have the run-time linker find libMyGUI.OgrePlatform.so in
> > %_libdir/MYGUI/, the package adds a file in /etc/ld.so.conf/. Rather
> > pointless, because then it could be stored directly in %_libdir instead.
>
> Sorry for not having noticed this thread until Bruno filed the ticket;
> MyGui is a multiplatform library that supports binary plugins, and the binary
> wrapper to the underlying 3d framework is implemented as a plugin as well
> (Ogre in this case); because of this i decided to create a private directory
> for MyGui plugins, while the main library libMyGUIEngine.so is under /usr/lib.
> Unfortunately there were no plugins available for the linux platform,
> or without legal issues, at the moment of packaging it. The plan was
> to have this libMyGUI.OgrePlatform.so in a separate subpackage, as well
> as other plugins while they were coming out.

So, it is planned to really hide this library (and its RPM dependenceis)
in a future release?

While the directory may be private (and outside run-time linker's search
path), this is not true anymore after extending ld.so.conf. Plus, the
library within that directory is treated like a public library instead of
a private plugin (backend/module). On F-14:

$ repoquery --whatrequires libMyGUI.OgrePlatform.so
mygui-demos-0:3.0.0-0.4.2332svn.fc13.i686
mygui-tools-0:3.0.0-0.4.2332svn.fc13.i686

$ repoquery --whatprovides libMyGUI.OgrePlatform.so
mygui-0:3.0.0-0.4.2332svn.fc13.i686

Currently, as it seems, the tools and demos in %_libdir/MYGUI/ subdirs for
Tools and Demos are linked with it and create a direct dependency on _any_
libMyGUI.OgrePlatform.so found in ld.so's search path. I find this
practice sort of questionable, since the library file name is unusual
enough as to create a conflict in %_libdir and justify an own dir.

Old 03-31-2011, 01:20 PM
Guido Grazioli

2011/3/31 Michael Schwendt:
> On Thu, 31 Mar 2011 14:15:44 +1100, Guido wrote:
>
> So, it is planned to really hide this library (and its RPM dependenceis)
> in a future release?
>
> While the directory may be private (and outside run-time linker's search
> path), this is not true anymore after extending ld.so.conf. Plus, the
> library within that directory is treated like a public library instead of
> a private plugin (backend/module).
>
> Currently, as it seems, the tools and demos in %_libdir/MYGUI/ subdirs for
> Tools and Demos are linked with it and create a direct dependency on _any_
> libMyGUI.OgrePlatform.so found in ld.so's search path. I find this
> practice sort of questionable, since the library file name is unusual
> enough as to create a conflict in %_libdir and justify an own dir.

That's definitely true; as i said i tried to sort out things ahead of time,
and adding the ld.so.conf entry was the workaround, because unexpectedly
the tools and demos were linked directly to the wrapper library.

I regret if it is not acceptable; i will update the package moving the library
in _libdir (well just removing it from the old subdir as you found out its a
duplicate now), and renaming it with major version, asap.

Thanks for the hints