Old 01-24-2011, 04:37 PM
Erik Blankinship

Default installing an icon to the desktop?

Using a .desktop file in my rpm, I have successfully put my gui software into the gnome application menu.
I am wondering if there is a way to also put the icon onto the gnome desktop when installing the rpm?

Old 01-24-2011, 04:39 PM
Bill Nottingham

Erik Blankinship (erikb@mediamods.com) said:
> Using a .desktop file in my rpm, I have successfully put my gui software
> into the gnome application menu.
>
> I am wondering if there is a way to also put the icon onto the gnome desktop
> when installing the rpm?

It is general policy that applications should go into the menus, not on the
desktop.

Bill

Old 01-24-2011, 05:01 PM
Erik Blankinship

On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 12:39 PM, Bill Nottingham <notting@redhat.com> wrote:

Erik Blankinship (erikb@mediamods.com) said:

> Using a .desktop file in my rpm, I have successfully put my gui software

> into the gnome application menu.

> I am wondering if there is a way to also put the icon onto the gnome desktop

> when installing the rpm?

It is general policy that applications should go into the menus, not on the

desktop.

I did not know about that policy, but I guess you are right -- no rpms leave desktop icons.
I was confused by the namesake of the filetype -- "desktop".

While it is against policy, can it be done? *How would you do it?

Old 01-24-2011, 05:03 PM
Bill Nottingham

Erik Blankinship (erikb@mediamods.com) said:
> > It is general policy that applications should go into the menus, not on the
> > desktop.
>
> I did not know about that policy, but I guess you are right -- no rpms leave
> desktop icons.

I suspect if many apps started to do it, it would become a much more
strongly documented policy against it. It's a bad idea. Future versions
of some desktops don't even *show* desktop icons by default.

Bill

Old 01-31-2011, 07:39 PM
Erik Blankinship

On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 1:03 PM, Bill Nottingham <notting@redhat.com> wrote:

Erik Blankinship (erikb@mediamods.com) said:

> > It is general policy that applications should go into the menus, not on the

> > desktop.

> I did not know about that policy, but I guess you are right -- no rpms leave

> desktop icons.

I suspect if many apps started to do it, it would become a much more

strongly documented policy against it. It's a bad idea. Future versions

of some desktops don't even *show* desktop icons by default.

While it might be against policy for an rpm to add icons to to the gnome desktop, sometimes the "ol' show just installed apps as*icons on the desktop" makes sense for a given audience. *For example, we are making educational software for the OLPC XO and some teachers really like having an icon on their desktop once they've installed some gui software. *They have expressed their preference for this option.

So, with this in mind, I am wondering if there is a way for an rpm to create an icon on the gnome desktop. *If it is possible, could someone point me towards an example or some documentation?

Also, can someone point me to the fedora policy against desktop icons? *It would be helpful to see the policy so as to avoid other pitfalls. *Thanks much!

Old 01-31-2011, 07:48 PM
Jon Ciesla

Erik Blankinship wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 1:03 PM, Bill Nottingham <notting@redhat.com
> <mailto:notting@redhat.com>> wrote:
>
> Erik Blankinship (erikb@mediamods.com
> <mailto:erikb@mediamods.com>) said:
> > > It is general policy that applications should go into the
> menus, not on the
> > > desktop.
> >
> > I did not know about that policy, but I guess you are right --
> no rpms leave
> > desktop icons.
>
> I suspect if many apps started to do it, it would become a much more
> strongly documented policy against it. It's a bad idea. Future
> versions
> of some desktops don't even *show* desktop icons by default.
>

> While it might be against policy for an rpm to add icons to to the
> gnome desktop, sometimes the "ol' show just installed apps as icons on
> the desktop" makes sense for a given audience. For example, we are
> making educational software for the OLPC XO and some teachers really
> like having an icon on their desktop once they've installed some gui
> software. They have expressed their preference for this option.
>
> So, with this in mind, I am wondering if there is a way for an rpm to
> create an icon on the gnome desktop. If it is possible, could someone
> point me towards an example or some documentation?
>
> Also, can someone point me to the fedora policy against desktop icons?
> It would be helpful to see the policy so as to avoid other pitfalls.
> Thanks much!
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Guidelines

in your fear, seek only peace
in your fear, seek only love

-d. bowie

Old 01-31-2011, 09:32 PM
Erik Blankinship

> > So, with this in mind, I am wondering if there is a way for an rpm to
> > create an icon on the gnome desktop. *If it is possible, could someone
> > point me towards an example or some documentation?

> > Also, can someone point me to the fedora policy against desktop icons?
> > *It would be helpful to see the policy so as to avoid other pitfalls.
> > *Thanks much!

> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Guidelines

Ok, looking specifically at:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Guidelines#Desktop_files

I can't find anything here about putting an icon on the user's desktop. *When I create near identical .desktop file to the one listed on that page, it just creates a gnome menu item.

I also don't see anything on this page advising me against putting an icon on the dektop.

Old 02-01-2011, 02:52 PM
Jon Ciesla

Erik Blankinship wrote:

> > > So, with this in mind, I am wondering if there is a way for an rpm to
> > > create an icon on the gnome desktop. If it is possible, could someone
> > > point me towards an example or some documentation?
> > >
> > > Also, can someone point me to the fedora policy against desktop icons?
> > > It would be helpful to see the policy so as to avoid other pitfalls.
> > > Thanks much!
>
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Guidelines
>
> Ok, looking specifically at:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Guidelines#Desktop_files
>
> I can't find anything here about putting an icon on the user's
> desktop. When I create near identical .desktop file to the one listed
> on that page, it just creates a gnome menu item.
>
> I also don't see anything on this page advising me against putting an
> icon on the dektop.
It's not so much the Packaging Guidelines directly, but the fact that we
make every effort to adhere to FHS:

http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#HOMEUSERHOMEDIRECTORIES

You just can't rely on /home being present or having particular
contents, for one thing.

-J

--
in your fear, seek only peace
in your fear, seek only love

-d. bowie

Old 02-01-2011, 04:58 PM
Isaac Fischer

So, long story short:*Is there one or more documented Fedora standard that says you can't do it? I think there used to be, but not anymore.Is there an easy way to do it? Yes. There's even an xdg utility to do so properly in a freedesktop compliant way. See*http://portland.freedesktop.org/xdg-utils-1.0/xdg-desktop-icon.html
Should you do it? Not necessarily. Being freedesktop compliant is nice, but you should always have an application menu icon also. Not all window managers view ~/Desktop icons. Gnome and KDE happen to do so. See*http://portland.freedesktop.org/xdg-utils-1.0/xdg-desktop-menu.html

Now as a personal preference, I try to have as few Launchers on the desktop as possible. So, I'd think the REALLY smart option, in the interest of choice is to have a subpackage that runs xdg-desktop-icon in %post.

That covers your bases, gives the user an option, and doesn't violate any standards that I can see. If a standard banning Launcher install re-emerges, you won't have to do major surgery to your spec, and it will degrade gracefully.

Does that satisfy any|everyone?

Isaac Fischer
+1 (210) 775-2890
xwaver@gmail.com

IM: xwaver@gmail.com xwaver118 xwaver118

Signature powered by WiseStamp*

Old 02-01-2011, 05:01 PM
Isaac Fischer

Oh, and it should go without saying that you should have the equivalent uninstall in %postun.