Old 01-11-2011, 12:10 PM
Mario Torre

Default RFC: packaging of PhotoFilmStrip

Hello all!

I am in the process to package a simple application for creating short
movies from a set of photos.

The application is called PhotoFilmStrip and can be found here:

http://www.photofilmstrip.org/

I initially submitted to RPM Fusion because of the dependency on
mencoder, but a reviewer from RPM Fusion noticed that the application
can be used without this dependecy, although it cannot output (render)
the movie.

This means that we can include in in Fedora, but keep a meta-package
with the appropriate dependecy on mencoder to enable the rendering.

I'm not entirely sure how this application could be useful if we remove
the render functionality, though, as it's pretty limited otherwise and
the risk is to give users the wrong perception that a fedora package is
simply broken.

There is also another problem, without mencoder, when clicking to the
render box, I get a stack trace instead of a warning to install
mencoder, so, at the very minimum, the app should be patched to allow a
nice dialog instead of a scaring python stack trace.

I will try to get in touch with the author to see if he is interested in
fixing this behaviour (and perhaps if he wants to add support to WebM
and Theora), but I would like to know what is the current guideline for
issues such as this?

Thanks,
Mario
--
pgp key: http://subkeys.pgp.net/ PGP Key ID: 80F240CF
Fingerprint: BA39 9666 94EC 8B73 27FA FC7C 4086 63E3 80F2 40CF

Proud GNU Classpath developer: http://www.classpath.org/
Read About us at: http://planet.classpath.org
OpenJDK: http://openjdk.java.net/projects/caciocavallo/

Please, support open standards:
http://endsoftpatents.org/

Old 01-11-2011, 02:51 PM
Garrett Holmstrom

On 1/11/2011 5:10, Mario Torre wrote:
> Hello all!
>
> I am in the process to package a simple application for creating short
> movies from a set of photos.
>
> The application is called PhotoFilmStrip and can be found here:
>
> http://www.photofilmstrip.org/
>
> I initially submitted to RPM Fusion because of the dependency on
> mencoder, but a reviewer from RPM Fusion noticed that the application
> can be used without this dependecy, although it cannot output (render)
> the movie.
>
> This means that we can include in in Fedora, but keep a meta-package
> with the appropriate dependecy on mencoder to enable the rendering.
>
> I'm not entirely sure how this application could be useful if we remove
> the render functionality, though, as it's pretty limited otherwise and
> the risk is to give users the wrong perception that a fedora package is
> simply broken.
>
> There is also another problem, without mencoder, when clicking to the
> render box, I get a stack trace instead of a warning to install
> mencoder, so, at the very minimum, the app should be patched to allow a
> nice dialog instead of a scaring python stack trace.
>
> I will try to get in touch with the author to see if he is interested in
> fixing this behaviour (and perhaps if he wants to add support to WebM
> and Theora), but I would like to know what is the current guideline for
> issues such as this?

Since the program is unable to perform its primary function without
mencoder I'm pretty sure the following guideline [1] applies:

"...packages which are not functional or useful without code or packages
from third-party sources are not acceptable for inclusion in Fedora."

[1]
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Guidelines#Packages_which_are_not_useful_without_e xternal_bits

Old 01-11-2011, 04:44 PM
Mario Torre

Il giorno mar, 11/01/2011 alle 07.51 -0800, Garrett Holmstrom ha
scritto:

> Since the program is unable to perform its primary function without
> mencoder I'm pretty sure the following guideline [1] applies:
>
> "...packages which are not functional or useful without code or packages
> from third-party sources are not acceptable for inclusion in Fedora."
>
> [1]
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Guidelines#Packages_which_are_not_useful_without_e xternal_bits

Cheers,
Mario