Old 12-20-2010, 01:53 PM
Rex Dieter

Default code_vs_content clarification

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingGuidelines#Code_Vs_Content

was mentioned to me today as a justification to disallow some religious-
related software into fedora (some study software in this context).

At first, I thought that guideline was more about packaging content-only
(ie, to avoid something silly like trying to package the library of
congress), but reading it again, seems not so.

If that's the case, what is the justification here (besides avoiding
potential controversy)?

-- Rex

Old 12-20-2010, 02:47 PM
Tom Callaway

On 12/20/2010 09:53 AM, Rex Dieter wrote:
> was mentioned to me today as a justification to disallow some religious-
> related software into fedora (some study software in this context).

To be fair, it says:

Some examples of content which are not permissable:

Religious texts

Quite frankly, when I wrote this, I simply did not want to deal with the
controversy of having Fedora carry religious texts. IMHO, there is no
valid reason for Fedora to have them.

However, software like sword is fine, as long as it doesn't come with
any religious texts. The software can prompt the user to download the
religious texts on first startup, but Fedora can't include them.

~tom

==
Fedora Project