Old 12-09-2010, 11:44 AM
"Richard W.M. Jones"

Default Why do Fedora python packages install in site-packages?

I'm confused why Fedora Python packages get installed in
/usr/lib/python*/site-packages/.

Looking at the upstream Python documentation[1] it seems this
directory is reserved for packages installed by the local system
administrator. (Similar to the Perl distinction between
INSTALLDIRS=vendor / INSTALLDIRS=site / INSTALLDIRS=core [2])

Not directly relevant, but Debian reserves[3] site-packages for the
system administrator, and puts Python packages in its own directory
(/usr/lib/python*/dist-packages).

Is this a mistake or am I not understanding the distinction?

Rich.

[1] http://docs.python.org/install/index.html
[2] http://rt.cpan.org/Public/Bug/Display.html?id=47396#txn-629736
[3] http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/python-policy/ch-python.html