Old 11-18-2010, 07:50 AM
Patrice Dumas

Default Co-maintaining packages - gdal, grass

On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 01:54:10PM +0530, Viji V Nair wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to co-maintain gdal and grass packages. I am working on
> Fedora GIS spin:
>
> We need to fix some issues in the above packages:
>
> gdal : we care not shipping the jnis, java is broken and need to fix
> grass : A very old GRASS version is packaged, it lacks more than 9000
> fixes and enhancements with respect to the current stable version
> which is GRASS 6.4.0
>
> Please share your thoughts

This is not the right list for those discussions. The right list is
fedora development list. You can also use the per-package mail alias,
it will go to all the co-maintainers of a package.

Other than that, I fully agree that an update to grass 6.4.0 would clearly
be right.

--
Pat

Old 11-18-2010, 08:08 AM
Peter Lemenkov

2010/11/18 Viji V Nair <viji@fedoraproject.org>:
> Hi
>
> I would like to co-maintain gdal and grass packages. I am working on
> Fedora GIS spin:
>
> We need to fix some issues in the above packages:

Unfortunately GIS stack in Fedora needs love, especially in comparison
with other popular distributions, so I'm welcoming you. Upgrading
GRASS looks like a good idea for me, since I've heard a lot of
complaints about outdated GRASS from members of Russian GIS community.

--
With best regards, Peter Lemenkov.