Old 10-15-2010, 05:25 AM
Viji V Nair

Default Packaging Reiser4

Hi,

I would like to maintain reiser4 filesystem for Fedora. I have released the same for Fedora 11, 64 bit. (http://viji.fedorapeople.org/reiser4/F11/x86_64/). The same I want to continue for all the upcoming release.

I am more interested to pack the same in the kmod standard, kmod-reiser4.

How can I go ahead, please advice.

Thanks
Viji

Old 10-15-2010, 06:27 AM
Jon Masters

On Fri, 2010-10-15 at 10:55 +0530, Viji V Nair wrote:

> I am more interested to pack the same in the kmod standard,
> kmod-reiser4.

We don't officially maintain kmods in Fedora any more. I do plan to
revive the packaging/infrastructure bits soon (if I am allowed, and I
will approach this tactfully) so that those who want to ship them may do
so, but Fedora does not generally ship nor support third party drivers.

For now, I recommend you look at the existing third-party solutions from
the other repos external to Fedora for examples.

Jon.

Old 10-15-2010, 06:59 AM
Viji V Nair

There is no packages for reiser4 in repos like rpmfusion, livna etc. I can anyway build these and keep a copy in viji.fedorapeople.org, right?

Old 10-15-2010, 08:17 AM
Jon Masters

On Fri, 2010-10-15 at 12:29 +0530, Viji V Nair wrote:
> There is no packages for reiser4 in repos like rpmfusion, livna etc. I
> can anyway build these and keep a copy in viji.fedorapeople.org,
> right?

I think you can, since it's a GPL module and you're just using your
private storage area. But someone else might want to note if there's
some weird thing about storing packages that aren't intended to be
released into Fedora. I'm not sure why you can't keep your own bits and
share them with those who want them, if they're all Open Source.

Jon.

Old 10-15-2010, 11:44 AM
Ankur Sinha

On Fri, 2010-10-15 at 12:29 +0530, Viji V Nair wrote:
> There is no packages for reiser4 in repos like rpmfusion, livna etc. I
> can anyway build these and keep a copy in viji.fedorapeople.org,
> right?

You can package it and put it up at RPMFusion. It has almost the same
procedure as the fedora repo packages.

--
Thanks!
Regards,