Old 09-14-2010, 12:10 AM
Sergio Belkin

Default Explicit Requires

Hi Fedora people!,

I have been reading
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Guidelines#Explicit_Requires.

It says that we should avoid explicit requires...

I want to make sure that I understood it. Is an "explicit requires" is both:

1) A full package: eg: mysql-libs
2) A versioned library file:libmysqlclient.so.16.0.0

So, the right way should be:

Requires: libmysqlclient.so

Please fix me if I misunderstood that.

thanks in advance!
Sergio Belkin http://www.sergiobelkin.com
Watch More TV http://sebelk.blogspot.com
Sergio Belkin -

Old 09-14-2010, 03:51 AM
Toshio Kuratomi

On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 09:10:31PM -0300, Sergio Belkin wrote:
> Hi Fedora people!,
>
> I have been reading
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Guidelines#Explicit_Requires.
>
> It says that we should avoid explicit requires...
>
> I want to make sure that I understood it. Is an "explicit requires" is both:
>
> 1) A full package: eg: mysql-libs
> 2) A versioned library file:libmysqlclient.so.16.0.0
>
> So, the right way should be:
>
> Requires: libmysqlclient.so
>
> Please fix me if I misunderstood that.

No. Listing a library in a Requires: tag at all is an explicit requires.
ie:
Requires: libmysqlclient.so

is also not allowed.

RPM is generally good about discovering what libraries a program needs to
run. So it will find that your program needs libmysqlclient.so.16 and
create a Requires on it automatically. You do not need to list it in your
package if this is the case.

-Toshio

Old 09-14-2010, 07:02 PM
Sergio Belkin

2010/9/14 Toshio Kuratomi <a.badger@gmail.com>:
> On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 09:10:31PM -0300, Sergio Belkin wrote:
>> Hi Fedora people!,
>>
>> I have been reading
>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Guidelines#Explicit_Requires.
>>
>> It says that we should avoid explicit requires...
>>
>> I want to make sure that I understood it. Is an "explicit requires" is both:
>>
>> 1) A full package: eg: mysql-libs
>> 2) A versioned library file:libmysqlclient.so.16.0.0
>>
>> So, the right way should be:
>>
>> Requires: libmysqlclient.so
>>
>> Please fix me if I misunderstood that.
>>
> No. *Listing a library in a Requires: tag at all is an explicit requires.
> ie:
> Requires: libmysqlclient.so
>
> is also not allowed.
>
> RPM is generally good about discovering what libraries a program needs to
> run. *So it will find that your program needs libmysqlclient.so.16 and
> create a Requires on it automatically. *You do not need to list it in your
> package if this is the case.
>
> -Toshio

Thanks Toshio, can we say that explicit == added by hand ==
non-automagical ;-) ?

Greetings

Old 09-14-2010, 07:45 PM
Toshio Kuratomi

On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 04:02:33PM -0300, Sergio Belkin wrote:
> 2010/9/14 Toshio Kuratomi <a.badger@gmail.com>:
> > On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 09:10:31PM -0300, Sergio Belkin wrote:
> >> Hi Fedora people!,
> >>
> >> I have been reading
> >> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Guidelines#Explicit_Requires.
> >>
> >> It says that we should avoid explicit requires...
> >>
> >> I want to make sure that I understood it. Is an "explicit requires" is both:
> >>
> >> 1) A full package: eg: mysql-libs
> >> 2) A versioned library file:libmysqlclient.so.16.0.0
> >>
> >> So, the right way should be:
> >>
> >> Requires: libmysqlclient.so
> >>
> >> Please fix me if I misunderstood that.
> >>
> > No. *Listing a library in a Requires: tag at all is an explicit requires.
> > ie:
> > Requires: libmysqlclient.so
> >
> > is also not allowed.
> >
> > RPM is generally good about discovering what libraries a program needs to
> > run. *So it will find that your program needs libmysqlclient.so.16 and
> > create a Requires on it automatically. *You do not need to list it in your
> > package if this is the case.
> >
> > -Toshio
> >

> Thanks Toshio, can we say that explicit == added by hand ==
> non-automagical ;-) ?

That would be accurate. I've added a sentence to the Guideline:

"""
Explicit Requires are Requires added manually by the packager in the spec
file.
"""

Hope that helps,
Toshio

Old 09-15-2010, 02:55 PM
Sergio Belkin

2010/9/14 Toshio Kuratomi <a.badger@gmail.com>:
> On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 04:02:33PM -0300, Sergio Belkin wrote:

>> > No. *Listing a library in a Requires: tag at all is an explicit requires.
>> > ie:
>> > Requires: libmysqlclient.so
>> >
>> > is also not allowed.
>> >
>> > RPM is generally good about discovering what libraries a program needs to
>> > run. *So it will find that your program needs libmysqlclient.so.16 and
>> > create a Requires on it automatically. *You do not need to list it in your
>> > package if this is the case.
>> >
>> > -Toshio
>> >

>> Thanks Toshio, can we say that explicit == added by hand ==
>> non-automagical *;-) ?
>>
> That would be accurate. *I've added a sentence to the Guideline:
>
> """
> Explicit Requires are Requires added manually by the packager in the spec
> file.
> """
>
> Hope that helps,
> Toshio