Old 08-28-2010, 02:29 PM
Till Maas

Default How to install vim syntax files?

On Sat, Aug 28, 2010 at 01:57:37PM +0200, Martin Gieseking wrote:
> Am 28.08.2010 13:12, schrieb Chen Lei:
> > I suggest to split a vim-* subpackage like emacs addons, then this
> > subpackage can depend on vim-common. Also, I think those vim-*
> > subpackage don't need to depend on mainpackage since they work pretty
> > fine without mainpackage.
>
> Yes, that's one of the (cleanest) variants I prefer. However, since most
> packages usually provide only one tiny vim file, there might be
> arguments against splitting them into subpackages, as discussed several
> times before in different contexts. Thus, I was wondering whether

Imho it is very annoying to have to install an extra subpackage only to
get a syntax file. Therefore I am in favor of any solution that will
install the syntax file at the same time the main package is installed,
e.g. by multi-owning the vimfiles dir or changing vim to provide a
vim-filesystem package.

Regards
Till

Old 08-28-2010, 02:29 PM
Till Maas

On Sat, Aug 28, 2010 at 12:47:38PM +0200, Martin Gieseking wrote:

> d) add the vim files with %doc for manual installation in ~/.vim/syntax

This is just improper packaging imho.

Regards
Till

Old 08-28-2010, 05:14 PM
Martin Gieseking

Am 28.08.2010 16:29, schrieb Till Maas:
>> d) add the vim files with %doc for manual installation in ~/.vim/syntax
>
> This is just improper packaging imho.

Right. It seemed quite unusual when I noticed it in the spec (of package
ifm).

> Imho it is very annoying to have to install an extra subpackage only to
> get a syntax file. Therefore I am in favor of any solution that will
> install the syntax file at the same time the main package is installed,
> e.g. by multi-owning the vimfiles dir or changing vim to provide a
> vim-filesystem package.

OK, a vim-filesystem package would be a good compromise between
excessive package splitting and the installation of potentially unused
files/folders. Maybe such a package could be added together with the
update to the recently released version 7.3 of vim. I'd like this more
consistent solution better than always having to apply ownership to
several parts of the vim data directory tree.

Martin