Old 08-28-2010, 10:47 AM
Martin Gieseking

Default How to install vim syntax files?

Hi,

it seems, there's currently no common way how to add vim add-ons (e.g.
syntax files) provided by several packages. Some packages place them in
the versioned folder /usr/share/vim/vimXY, some in
/usr/share/vim/vimfiles. The latter seems to be the better alternative
to me.

However, what's about directory ownership? Should we always add a
dependency to vim-common (and use subpackages containing some small vim
files), or should the package own the affected folders (multiple
ownership like /etc/bash-completion.d)? I found several packages that either
a) add Requires: vim-common, or
b) add %dir %{datadir}/vim/vimfiles/syntax, or
c) just put the syntax files somewhere below %{datadir}/vim without
considering directory ownership, or
d) add the vim files with %doc for manual installation in ~/.vim/syntax

So what's the recommended way to add these kind of add-ons?

Martin

Old 08-28-2010, 11:12 AM
Chen Lei

2010/8/28 Martin Gieseking <martin.gieseking@uos.de>:
> Hi,
>
> it seems, there's currently no common way how to add vim add-ons (e.g.
> syntax files) provided by several packages. Some packages place them in
> the versioned folder /usr/share/vim/vimXY, some in
> /usr/share/vim/vimfiles. The latter seems to be the better alternative
> to me.
>
> However, what's about directory ownership? Should we always add a
> dependency to vim-common (and use subpackages containing some small vim
> files), or should the package own the affected folders (multiple
> ownership like /etc/bash-completion.d)? I found several packages that either
> a) add Requires: vim-common, or
> b) add %dir %{datadir}/vim/vimfiles/syntax, or
> c) just put the syntax files somewhere below %{datadir}/vim without
> considering directory ownership, or
> d) add the vim files with %doc for manual installation in ~/.vim/syntax
>
> So what's the recommended way to add these kind of add-ons?
>
> Martin
> --
I suggest to split a vim-* subpackage like emacs addons, then this
subpackage can depend on vim-common. Also, I think those vim-*
subpackage don't need to depend on mainpackage since they work pretty
fine without mainpackage.

See http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Emacs

Regards,
Chen Lei

Old 08-28-2010, 11:57 AM
Martin Gieseking

Am 28.08.2010 13:12, schrieb Chen Lei:
> I suggest to split a vim-* subpackage like emacs addons, then this
> subpackage can depend on vim-common. Also, I think those vim-*
> subpackage don't need to depend on mainpackage since they work pretty
> fine without mainpackage.

Yes, that's one of the (cleanest) variants I prefer. However, since most
packages usually provide only one tiny vim file, there might be
arguments against splitting them into subpackages, as discussed several
times before in different contexts. Thus, I was wondering whether
there's some kind of "official" recommendation besides "common sense",
or if it's completely up to the packager (as it seems when regarding the
previously mentioned variants currently in use).

Martin

Old 08-28-2010, 12:19 PM
Chen Lei

Maybe someone should set up a vim addons packaging guideline refering
to debian vim policy[1] and fedora emacs guideline. Without such
guideline, I think it's up to the packagers' decision about how to
treat vim addon files, those there are already some vim-* and *-vim
subpackages in the fedora repo.

[1]http://pkg-vim.alioth.debian.org/vim-policy.html/x113.html

Chen Lei