Old 08-27-2010, 11:28 AM
"Boyce, Kevin P (AS)"

Default FW: EXTERNAL: RPM and Version Control Systems

Anyone have any suggestions . .
.

*

*

Hi All,

*

Hopefully I’m at the right place to ask this question.

*

Does anyone know a good way to keep rpm packages under
revision control?* How does the fedora team manage all those packages?

*

Are there any specific Version Control systems which are designed
to work with the RPM format out of the box like svn, cvs, git, sccs?

*

I would potentially like something that will
automagically populate the “Version” and “Changelog” fields in my spec files
for some home grown packages I maintain.

*

*

Regards,

Kevin

*

Old 08-27-2010, 01:17 PM
"Jesus M. Rodriguez"

2010/8/27 Boyce, Kevin P (AS) <Kevin.Boyce@ngc.com>:
> Anyone have any suggestions . . .
>

> Hi All,
>

> Hopefully I’m at the right place to ask this question.
>

> Does anyone know a good way to keep rpm packages under revision control?
> How does the fedora team manage all those packages?
>

> Are there any specific Version Control systems which are designed to work
> with the RPM format out of the box like svn, cvs, git, sccs?
>
> I would potentially like something that will automagically populate the
> “Version” and “Changelog” fields in my spec files for some home grown
> packages I maintain.

Kevin,

A friend of mine, Devan Goodwin, wrote a tool called tito (
http://github.com/dgoodwin/tito )
which integrates with git and rpm. It can also do a lot of the distcvs
work as well.

http://github.com/dgoodwin/tito/blob/master/README.mkd

It's currently being used by a number of projects:

cobbler - https://fedorahosted.org/cobbler/
spacewalk - https://fedorahosted.org/spacewalk/
candlepin - https://fedorahosted.org/candlepin/
sm-photo-tool - http://github.com/jmrodri/sm-photo-tool