Old 07-10-2010, 04:59 AM
Siddhesh Poyarekar

Default Upstream version strings with a hyphen

Hi,

I'm sorry if this has been asked earlier but I could not find anything
relevant through searches on the wiki and on Google, which is why I'm
asking my query here.

Gource upstream has released a new version as
gource-0.27-beta1-20100710. This is not accepted by rpmbuild for
obvious reasons. Is there a standard way to accomodate such
situations? I was otherwise thinking of defining a %{upstream_version}
as 0.27-beta-20100710 and the version for the package as
0.27.beta.20100710.

Thanks,
Siddhesh

Old 07-10-2010, 05:12 AM
Orcan Ogetbil

On Sat, Jul 10, 2010 at 12:59 AM, Siddhesh Poyarekar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm sorry if this has been asked earlier but I could not find anything
> relevant through searches on the wiki and on Google, which is why I'm
> asking my query here.
>
> Gource upstream has released a new version as
> gource-0.27-beta1-20100710. This is not accepted by rpmbuild for
> obvious reasons. Is there a standard way to accomodate such
> situations? I was otherwise thinking of defining a %{upstream_version}
> as 0.27-beta-20100710 and the version for the package as
> 0.27.beta.20100710.

The guidelines for prerelease packages [1] say
"... tags like alpha, beta, rc, or letters like a and b denoting that
it is a version before the "final" number. Unfortunately, we cannot
simply put these letters into the version tag, so we'll use the
Release field for this. "

So in your situation, you probably need to do

Version: 0.27
Release: 0.1.beta.20100710

Please follow [1] for more examples. It will give you the idea.

Orcan

[1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:NamingGuidelines#Pre-Release_packages

Old 07-10-2010, 05:28 AM
Siddhesh Poyarekar

On Sat, Jul 10, 2010 at 01:12:11AM -0400, Orcan Ogetbil wrote:
> The guidelines for prerelease packages [1] say
> "... tags like alpha, beta, rc, or letters like a and b denoting that
> it is a version before the "final" number. Unfortunately, we cannot
> simply put these letters into the version tag, so we'll use the
> Release field for this. "
>
> So in your situation, you probably need to do
>
> Version: 0.27
> Release: 0.1.beta.20100710

Ahh yes, that works perfectly for my use case.

Thanks,
Siddhesh

Old 07-10-2010, 05:44 AM
Toshio Kuratomi

On Sat, Jul 10, 2010 at 10:29:40AM +0530, Siddhesh Poyarekar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm sorry if this has been asked earlier but I could not find anything
> relevant through searches on the wiki and on Google, which is why I'm
> asking my query here.
>
> Gource upstream has released a new version as
> gource-0.27-beta1-20100710. This is not accepted by rpmbuild for
> obvious reasons. Is there a standard way to accomodate such
> situations? I was otherwise thinking of defining a %{upstream_version}
> as 0.27-beta-20100710 and the version for the package as
> 0.27.beta.20100710.

This particular release falls under the prerelease version guidelines. If
you want to include all of the information in the NVR you need to do this:

Version: 0.27
Release: 0.1.beta1.20100710

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:NamingGuidelines#Pre-Release_packages

-Toshio