Old 01-16-2008, 05:10 PM
"Robert P. J. Day"

Default Possible restructuring of docbook-related packages?

i'm wondering if there might be some benefit to repackaging some of
the docbook-related packages.

first, there are the two "utils" packages:

docbook-utils
docbook-utils-pdf

it seems awkward to have one package advertising itself as "utils",
only for some of those utils to be broken off and put in a more
specific package, which wouldn't be obvious to anyone who simply saw
"docbook-utils" and figured that's all he needed.

more to the point, that second package contains additional utilities
anyway:

$ rpm -ql docbook-utils-pdf
/usr/bin/db2dvi
/usr/bin/db2pdf
/usr/bin/db2ps
/usr/bin/docbook2dvi
/usr/bin/docbook2pdf
/usr/bin/docbook2ps
/usr/share/man/man1/db2pdf.1.gz
/usr/share/man/man1/docbook2dvi.1.gz
/usr/share/man/man1/docbook2pdf.1.gz
/usr/share/man/man1/docbook2ps.1.gz
$

so there's DVI and PS stuff in there as well -- certainly not obvious
from the package name. is there some reason this can's just be all in
one package?

also, is there any clean way to separate the SGML and XML stuff in
the docbook-dtds package? even the XML DTDs for docbook are under
/usr/share/sgml. does XML processing still require underlying
functionality? if not, is there no way to separate all of that into
SGML versus XML content, and perhaps load only the XML-related
packages if that's all one needs?

rday

Robert P. J. Day
Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA

Home page: http://crashcourse.ca
Fedora Cookbook: http://crashcourse.ca/wiki/index.php/Fedora_Cookbook

Old 01-16-2008, 05:55 PM
"Tom "spot" Callaway"

On Wed, 2008-01-16 at 13:10 -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> i'm wondering if there might be some benefit to repackaging some of
> the docbook-related packages.
>
> first, there are the two "utils" packages:
>
> docbook-utils
> docbook-utils-pdf

We're not mandating this split. You should open a bug against this
package and see if the maintainer is willing to stop doing it.

~spot

Old 01-16-2008, 05:58 PM
"Robert P. J. Day"

On Wed, 16 Jan 2008, Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:

> On Wed, 2008-01-16 at 13:10 -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> > i'm wondering if there might be some benefit to repackaging some of
> > the docbook-related packages.
> >
> > first, there are the two "utils" packages:
> >
> > docbook-utils
> > docbook-utils-pdf
>
> We're not mandating this split. You should open a bug against this
> package and see if the maintainer is willing to stop doing it.

ok, just so long as there was no obvious rationale about that split
that i was overlooking. thanks.