Old 06-22-2010, 04:11 PM
Ralf Corsepius

Default pkgconfig as BuildRequires really needed?

On 06/22/2010 05:55 PM, Parag N(पराग़) wrote:
> Hi,
> I see minimal build environment always pulling pkgconfig and also
> we have " There is no need to include the following packages or their
> dependencies as BuildRequires because they would occur too often."
> written in packaging guidelines[1]. Does this mean I can recommend in
> new package reviews or existing package owners to drop BuildRequires:
> pkgconfig in spec files?

No, packages which utilize pkg-config while building should require
BR: pkgconfig.

The fact pkgconfig is often indirectly pulled-in (in most cases by other
*-devel packages) while building is a just a reflection of the state of
these "other packages" were in when they had been built.

Though it's unlikely to happen, they may drop or loose their *.pc's at
any time and thus loose this implicit dependency on pkgconfig.

What is supposed to be safe is to drop "Requires: pkgconfig", because
today's rpmbuild is supposed to add this dependency automatically.

Ralf

Old 06-22-2010, 05:01 PM
Mamoru Tasaka

Parag N(पराग़) wrote, at 06/23/2010 12:55 AM +9:00:
> Hi,
> I see minimal build environment always pulling pkgconfig and also
> we have " There is no need to include the following packages or their
> dependencies as BuildRequires because they would occur too often."
> written in packaging guidelines[1]. Does this mean I can recommend in
> new package reviews or existing package owners to drop BuildRequires:
> pkgconfig in spec files?
>
> Parag.
>
> [1]https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Guidelines#Exceptions_2

While currently I have no strong positive or negative opinion for
this, I just note that the reason that currently even minimal buildroot
always pulls pkgconfig in is because rpm-build package has explicit
"Requires: pkgconfig" . See:

* Wed Dec 03 2008 Panu Matilainen <pmatilai@redhat.com>
- make rpm-build require pkgconfig (#473978)

Regards,
Mamoru

Old 06-22-2010, 05:48 PM
Rex Dieter

Mamoru Tasaka wrote:

> Parag N(पराग़) wrote, at 06/23/2010 12:55 AM +9:00:
>> Hi,
>> I see minimal build environment always pulling pkgconfig and also
>> we have " There is no need to include the following packages or their
>> dependencies as BuildRequires because they would occur too often."
>> written in packaging guidelines[1]. Does this mean I can recommend in
>> new package reviews or existing package owners to drop BuildRequires:
>> pkgconfig in spec files?
>>
>> Parag.
>>
>> [1]https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Guidelines#Exceptions_2
>
> While currently I have no strong positive or negative opinion for
> this, I just note that the reason that currently even minimal buildroot
> always pulls pkgconfig in is because rpm-build package has explicit
> "Requires: pkgconfig" . See:
>
> * Wed Dec 03 2008 Panu Matilainen <pmatilai@redhat.com>
> - make rpm-build require pkgconfig (#473978)

Ok, for posterity I personally would've prefered the second option:
- All packages creating .pc file should have "_Build_Requires pkgconfig"

But what is done is done. If rpm-build is going to Requires: pkgconfig
going forward, then we may as well add this one to the exceptions list.

-- Rex

Old 06-23-2010, 12:39 AM
Parag N(पराग़)

Hi,

On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 9:41 PM, Ralf Corsepius <rc040203@freenet.de> wrote:
> On 06/22/2010 05:55 PM, Parag N(पराग़) wrote:
>> Hi,
>> * * I see minimal build environment always pulling pkgconfig and also
>> we have " There is no need to include the following packages or their
>> dependencies as BuildRequires because they would occur too often."
>> written in packaging guidelines[1]. Does this mean I can recommend in
>> new package reviews or existing package owners to drop BuildRequires:
>> pkgconfig in spec files?
>
> No, packages which utilize pkg-config while building should require
> BR: pkgconfig.
>
> The fact pkgconfig is often indirectly pulled-in (in most cases by other
> *-devel packages) while building is a just a reflection of the state of
> these "other packages" were in when they had been built.
>
> Though it's unlikely to happen, they may drop or loose their *.pc's at
> any time and thus loose this implicit dependency on pkgconfig.
>
> What is supposed to be safe is to drop "Requires: pkgconfig", because
> today's rpmbuild is supposed to add this dependency automatically.

This can confuse packagers if they forgot to add BR: pkgconfig( I
know there comes reviewer's job to check it), but koji build still
succeeds as pkgconfig already present in build environment and
guidelines only said packages installed in buildroot are not needed to
be BR in spec.

Parag.

Old 06-23-2010, 02:37 AM
Ralf Corsepius

On 06/22/2010 07:48 PM, Rex Dieter wrote:
> Mamoru Tasaka wrote:
>
>> Parag N(पराग़) wrote, at 06/23/2010 12:55 AM +9:00:
>>> Hi,
>>> I see minimal build environment always pulling pkgconfig and also
>>> we have " There is no need to include the following packages or their
>>> dependencies as BuildRequires because they would occur too often."
>>> written in packaging guidelines[1]. Does this mean I can recommend in
>>> new package reviews or existing package owners to drop BuildRequires:
>>> pkgconfig in spec files?
>>>
>>> Parag.
>>>
>>> [1]https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Guidelines#Exceptions_2
>>
>> While currently I have no strong positive or negative opinion for
>> this, I just note that the reason that currently even minimal buildroot
>> always pulls pkgconfig in is because rpm-build package has explicit
>> "Requires: pkgconfig" . See:
>>
>> * Wed Dec 03 2008 Panu Matilainen<pmatilai@redhat.com>
>> - make rpm-build require pkgconfig (#473978)
>
> Ok, for posterity I personally would've prefered the second option:
> - All packages creating .pc file should have "_Build_Requires pkgconfig"
Not quite:
"All packages _using_ *.pc's need to have BuildRequires: pkgconfig"
would have been correct.

pkg-config is not being used to create *.pc's, it's being used to check
other package's setups (aka. configuration).

> But what is done is done. If rpm-build is going to Requires: pkgconfig
> going forward, then we may as well add this one to the exceptions list.
The fact rpm-build Requires: pkgconfig is a random coincidence, not a
feature. It's simply that current rpmbuild uses pkg-config inside of its
*.pc tracking, Though it's unlikely to happen, it may switch to using a
different implementation at any time.

Ralf