Old 06-04-2010, 09:27 AM
philippe makowski

Default cannot find -lsupc++ devel i686

Hi,

Is there someone to explain me why I get this error message for i686
build in devel

> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lsupc++

I did not get it in F-13, neither in local mockbuild x86_64

What am I missing ?

thanks

Old 06-04-2010, 10:09 AM
Peter Lemenkov

Hello!

2010/6/4 philippe makowski <makowski.fedora@gmail.com>:
> Hi,
>
> Is there someone to explain me why I get this error message for i686
> build in devel
>
>> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lsupc++
>
> I did not get it in F-13, neither in local mockbuild x86_64
>
> What am I missing ?

It seems that libsupc++.a was moved to libstdc++-static subpackage. I
can't remember whether it was publicly announced or not. Anywat, in
case of F-14 and up, you need to add new BuildReqiures:
libstdc++-static:

%if 0%{?fc14}
BuildReqiures: libstdc++-static
%endif

--
With best regards, Peter Lemenkov.

Old 06-04-2010, 11:16 AM
Kalev Lember

On 06/04/2010 01:09 PM, Peter Lemenkov wrote:
> It seems that libsupc++.a was moved to libstdc++-static subpackage. I
> can't remember whether it was publicly announced or not. Anywat, in
> case of F-14 and up, you need to add new BuildReqiures:
> libstdc++-static:
>
> %if 0%{?fc14}
> BuildReqiures: libstdc++-static
> %endif

Instead of %if 0%{?fc14} I'd use %if 0%{?fedora} >= 14 so that the
conditional wouldn't need to be updated in F-15+.

--
Kalev

Old 06-04-2010, 12:42 PM
Kalev Lember

On 06/04/2010 12:27 PM, philippe makowski wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there someone to explain me why I get this error message for i686
> build in devel
>
>> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lsupc++
>
> I did not get it in F-13, neither in local mockbuild x86_64
>
> What am I missing ?

I'm not sure if it's a good idea, but you could try to link it against
the (dynamic) libstdc++ library instead. Static libsupc++ is just a
subset of libstdc++, containing only the C++ runtime without the
standard C++ library.

If it's firebird you are talking about, then patching
builds/posix/make.defaults should be enough to get rid of the static lib
dep:
-STATIC_CXXSUPPORT_LIB = -lsupc++ -lgcc_eh
+STATIC_CXXSUPPORT_LIB = -lstdc++

However, if you choose to change it like that please do some runtime
tests to make sure it doesn't break anything.

--
Kalev

Old 06-04-2010, 01:46 PM
philippe makowski

2010/6/4 Kalev Lember <kalev@smartlink.ee>:
> On 06/04/2010 12:27 PM, philippe makowski wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Is there someone to explain me why I get this error message for i686
>> build in devel
>>
>>> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lsupc++
>>
>> I did not get it in F-13, neither in local mockbuild x86_64
>>
>> What am I missing ?
>
> I'm not sure if it's a good idea, but you could try to link it against
> the (dynamic) libstdc++ library instead. Static libsupc++ is just a
> subset of libstdc++, containing only the C++ runtime without the
> standard C++ library.
>
> If it's firebird you are talking about, then patching
> builds/posix/make.defaults should be enough to get rid of the static lib
> dep:
> -STATIC_CXXSUPPORT_LIB = -lsupc++ -lgcc_eh
> +STATIC_CXXSUPPORT_LIB = -lstdc++
>
> However, if you choose to change it like that please do some runtime
> tests to make sure it doesn't break anything.
thanks
but I'll keep static
Firebird 2.5 is coming
so this 2.1.3 package will be soon obsolete in devel