-   -   Confusion regarding file location (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-packaging/379913-confusion-regarding-file-location.html)

Rangeen Basu 06-01-2010 04:06 PM

Confusion regarding file location

Hi

I am tying to package GNUMed software which has server and client
separate. The server files consists of a few sql files, a few python
files and some shell scripts. There are some .conf files as well but
they are not config files in true sense as they never change. They are
more like static data files. The upstream provides the source where
the .conf files , .py files and shell scripts have to be in the same
directory. These files are used only once during the initial setup or
bootstrap and are never used again. Also the python files are just
scripts and not python modules which will never be imported by anyone.
Can all these files be put in the same location such as
/usr/lib/gnumed-server . Where should .sql files be put.

--
Regards
Rangeen Basu Roy Chowdhury

Chen Lei 06-01-2010 04:15 PM

2010/6/2 Rangeen Basu <sherry151@gmail.com>:
> Hi
>
> I am tying to package GNUMed software which has server and client
> separate. The server files consists of a few sql files, a few python
> files and some shell scripts. There are some .conf files as well but
> they are not config files in true sense as they never change. They are
> more like static data files. The upstream provides the source where
> the .conf files , .py files and shell scripts have to be in the same
> directory. These files are used only once during the initial setup or
> bootstrap and are never used again. Also the python files are just
> scripts and not python modules which will never be imported by anyone.
> Can all these files be put in the same location such as
> /usr/lib/gnumed-server . Where should .sql files be put.
>
> --
> Regards
> Rangeen Basu Roy Chowdhury
> Fedora Ambassador
> sherry151@gmail.com

Maybe you can refer to packages from other distros for a help.

See http://packages.debian.org/sid/all/gnumed-server/filelist

Chen Lei

Toshio Kuratomi 06-01-2010 04:22 PM

On Tue, Jun 01, 2010 at 09:36:51PM +0530, Rangeen Basu wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am tying to package GNUMed software which has server and client
> separate. The server files consists of a few sql files, a few python
> files and some shell scripts. There are some .conf files as well but
> they are not config files in true sense as they never change. They are
> more like static data files. The upstream provides the source where
> the .conf files , .py files and shell scripts have to be in the same
> directory. These files are used only once during the initial setup or
> bootstrap and are never used again. Also the python files are just
> scripts and not python modules which will never be imported by anyone.
> Can all these files be put in the same location such as
> /usr/lib/gnumed-server . Where should .sql files be put.

Since it sounds like none of this is arch specific, probably
%{_datadir}/gnumed-server is where you want them. However, I have
a question -- since this is a server, does something need to get run that
the client connects to? If so, that should go in /usr/sbin/ or /usr/bin.

If it's just setting up an environment that the client can run in, it might
be better to have some sort of wrapper like /usr/bin/gnumed-setup that
invokes the scripts and sets up the environment.

-Toshio

Rangeen Basu 06-01-2010 04:44 PM

2010/6/1 Toshio Kuratomi <a.badger@gmail.com>:
> On Tue, Jun 01, 2010 at 09:36:51PM +0530, Rangeen Basu wrote:

> Since it sounds like none of this is arch specific, probably
> %{_datadir}/gnumed-server is where you want them. *However, I have

Are you suggesting that I put the .py files, .sh files and .conf files
in the %{_datadir}/gnumed-server together?

> a question -- since this is a server, does something need to get run that
> the client connects to? *If so, that should go in /usr/sbin/ or /usr/bin.

It isn't really a server in true sense. It simply sets up the
environment and the database plus if required, update an existing
version but only once.

> If it's just setting up an environment that the client can run in, it might
> be better to have some sort of wrapper like /usr/bin/gnumed-setup that
> invokes the scripts and sets up the environment.

Noted, will discuss with upstream.

--
Regards
Rangeen Basu Roy Chowdhury

Rangeen Basu 06-01-2010 04:46 PM

On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 9:45 PM, Chen Lei <supercyper1@gmail.com> wrote:

> Maybe you can refer to packages from other distros for a help.
>
> See http://packages.debian.org/sid/all/gnumed-server/filelist

I have referred to it already. They put everything in /var/lib and
bootstrap once. Thanks for the link though.

--
Regards
Rangeen Basu Roy Chowdhury

Ralf Corsepius 06-01-2010 05:01 PM

On 06/01/2010 06:44 PM, Rangeen Basu wrote:
> 2010/6/1 Toshio Kuratomi<a.badger@gmail.com>:
>> On Tue, Jun 01, 2010 at 09:36:51PM +0530, Rangeen Basu wrote:
>
>> Since it sounds like none of this is arch specific, probably
>> %{_datadir}/gnumed-server is where you want them. However, I have
>
> Are you suggesting that I put the .py files, .sh files and .conf files
> in the %{_datadir}/gnumed-server together?
This would be too simplistic, because a file's installation location
doesn't actuallly depend on the language it is written in, but more on
the "role" a file has.

That said, you have distinguish public programs/libraries, internal
programs/libraries, data files, config files and others (c.f. the FHS
for details).

E.g. when presuming *.conf files are "system wide, admin-customizable"
config-files, they would have to go into /etc or a subdirectory of it.

Ralf

Toshio Kuratomi 06-01-2010 05:22 PM

On Tue, Jun 01, 2010 at 07:01:00PM +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On 06/01/2010 06:44 PM, Rangeen Basu wrote:
> > 2010/6/1 Toshio Kuratomi<a.badger@gmail.com>:
> >> On Tue, Jun 01, 2010 at 09:36:51PM +0530, Rangeen Basu wrote:
> >
> >> Since it sounds like none of this is arch specific, probably
> >> %{_datadir}/gnumed-server is where you want them. However, I have
> >
> > Are you suggesting that I put the .py files, .sh files and .conf files
> > in the %{_datadir}/gnumed-server together?

Yes but...

> This would be too simplistic, because a file's installation location
> doesn't actuallly depend on the language it is written in, but more on
> the "role" a file has.
>
> That said, you have distinguish public programs/libraries, internal
> programs/libraries, data files, config files and others (c.f. the FHS
> for details).

as Ralf says, it depends on the role that the files play.

I think Debian is wrong to put the things they do into /var/lib. If the
files aren't modified after package installation, then they go into
/usr/share (If they are modified, then they are correct to put them into
/var/lib). However, Debian does put a lot of files into /usr/bin/ and
/usr/sbin/. Those file locations look more or less correct to me. One
thing to watch out for with regard to programs is that debian doesn't have
a spot for internal programs and libraries (usually they use
/usr/lib/PACKAGE/internal-program for those but not always) -- we do have
a spot: /usr/libexec/PACKAGE.

-Toshio