Old 06-01-2010, 06:13 PM
salsaman

Default Inaccurate information about LiVES package

That will require patching of theora_encoder.py and theora_encoder3.py:

- theora_encoder2 = 'theora_encoder_example'
+ theora_encoder2 = 'theora-encode'
Salsaman.

http://lives.sourceforge.net

https://www.ohloh.net/accounts/salsaman

On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 3:06 PM, Jeff Spaleta <jspaleta@gmail.com> wrote:

2010/6/1 salsaman <salsaman@gmail.com>:

> Yes, but you will still need encoder_example for encoding theora, even with

> mencoder present.

Ah... hmmm. *Looking again.... we do have it in the packages

theora-tools. The package naming difference just threw me off.

We package it as /usr/bin/theora-encode *in the package theora-tools.

So Requires: theora-tools should be enough.

-jef

Old 06-01-2010, 06:15 PM
salsaman

I mean for rpmfusion only. I will not patch this upstream.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:54 PM
Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski

On Tuesday, 01 June 2010 at 17:11, salsaman wrote:
> Please answer the question. I have been personally assured by
> representatives of the mplayer developers that the ffmpeg code contains *no
> patented code*. I spent over two years fighting to convince the debian
> developers that this was true, until they finally accepted it.

As far as I know (and I know many of them personally), none of MPlayer
developers are lawyers, so even if one of them said that (which I seriously
doubt), it doesn't "clear" anything. In other words, please tell us what
was the exact question that you asked, what was the answer, and who provided
it? Preferably by pointing to a post from a public mailing list.

Regards,
R.

"Faith manages."

Old 06-01-2010, 10:31 PM
salsaman

As far as I can recall it was part of a lengthy discussion I had with Diego Biurrun several years ago. I don't have the email to hand any more. But the gist was that libavcodec/libavformat no longer contained any hard coded codecs, so it would be possible to build these libraries with just free codecs (e.g. ogg/theora/vorbis).

Therefore, I would be interested to know - if one were to build libavcodec/libavformat with all codecs disabled except for say, ogg/theora/vorbis, would there still be a problem ?

Regards,

On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 5:54 PM, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski <dominik@greysector.net> wrote:

On Tuesday, 01 June 2010 at 17:11, salsaman wrote:

> Please answer the question. I have been personally assured by

> representatives of the mplayer developers that the ffmpeg code contains *no

> patented code*. I spent over two years fighting to convince the debian

> developers that this was true, until they finally accepted it.

As far as I know (and I know many of them personally), none of MPlayer

developers are lawyers, so even if one of them said that (which I seriously

doubt), it doesn't "clear" anything. In other words, please tell us what

was the exact question that you asked, what was the answer, and who provided

it? Preferably by pointing to a post from a public mailing list.

Regards,

R.

"Faith manages."

* * * *-- Delenn to Lennier in Babylon 5:"Confessions and Lamentations"

Old 06-01-2010, 10:59 PM
Jeff Spaleta

2010/6/1 salsaman <salsaman@gmail.com>:
> Therefore, I would be interested to know - if one were to build
> libavcodec/libavformat with all codecs disabled except for say,
> ogg/theora/vorbis, would there still be a problem ?

Yes. If the codec support in question is strictly a build time option
for the libraries in question.
If the supported codecs are strictly compile time options, then we are
put in a position where we have to anticipate users needing to replace
already installed Fedora packages with packages from somewhere else to
gain the additional functional. We avoid doing that as a matter of
policy as it adds complexity to the multi-repository relationship. We
prefer runtime detectable solutions that can be packaged as plugins
which do not conflict with Fedora packages.

This is what makes gstreamer a preferred framework for us as a
distributor...its runtime extensibility. An addon repository can
package gstreamer plugins that extend functionality without needing to
replace any packages we provide as part of Fedora. On top of that
there are hooks in packagekit which allow users to install the
gstreamer plugin package on demand based on mime information from
their configured repositories.

Xine libraries also exposes enough runtime detection capabilities to
allow up to ship the core xine libraries in fedora...while some codec
support support is provided as plugins from elsewhere.

-jef