Old 05-22-2010, 02:31 PM
Jameson

Default Config Files in Home Dir

I maintain a package that when run for the first time creates a file,
~/.projectM/config.inp. The package previously needed symlinks to
fonts because the location of the fonts was hard-coded. I have since
removed the symlinks, and patched the package so that config.inp will
be created pointing to the real font files. However, when one
upgrades from the previous version to a new one, the config.inp file
still points to they symlinks. What is the appropriate way to deal
with this?

Thanks,
=-Jameson

Old 05-22-2010, 02:36 PM
Chen Lei

--

Add a README.rpm/REAME.fedora file to %doc?
*

Old 05-24-2010, 04:14 AM
Toshio Kuratomi

On Sat, May 22, 2010 at 10:31:13AM -0400, Jameson wrote:
> I maintain a package that when run for the first time creates a file,
> ~/.projectM/config.inp. The package previously needed symlinks to
> fonts because the location of the fonts was hard-coded. I have since
> removed the symlinks, and patched the package so that config.inp will
> be created pointing to the real font files. However, when one
> upgrades from the previous version to a new one, the config.inp file
> still points to they symlinks. What is the appropriate way to deal
> with this?

The application should detect this situation on startup and correct the
situation.

A Fedora package should not attempt to touch things in the users' home
directories at package install/remove/upgade time.

-Toshio

Old 05-24-2010, 12:27 PM
Jameson

I added a readme. I could work on patching the application myself to
fix the issue, but since it was an issue created by, and only
effecting the Fedora package, I don't know that upstream will be
interested in making such modifications.

=-Jameson

Old 05-26-2010, 11:45 AM
Matthias Runge

On 05/24/2010 02:27 PM, Jameson wrote:
> I added a readme. I could work on patching the application myself to
> fix the issue, but since it was an issue created by, and only
> effecting the Fedora package, I don't know that upstream will be
> interested in making such modifications.
>
> =-Jameson
Hmmm,

reading this, I doubt, fedora is the only distribution not wanting the
situation, Toshio mentioned. I absolutely don't want an package change
files in my homedir during install/reinstall/remove.

Matthias

Old 05-26-2010, 03:51 PM
"Jason L Tibbitts III"

MR> I absolutely don't want an package change files in my homedir during
MR> install/reinstall/remove.

It is not in general possible to do this in any case; packages should
never even attempt to do this kind of thing. For example, my home
directories are automounted; root has no priviliges to access anything
under /home even if anything happens to be mounted at the time that
packages are updated.

- J<