Old 04-23-2010, 12:35 AM

Default user input while installing an RPM

Hi

*

I have an RPM package which will install and I need to get
the Username and Password for root user and write it to a config file.

*

I can have another script file through which I can get user
input and install RPM and then write to the config file, but I want to get user
input and install rpm from one file.

*

I need one file that I can distribute it and does above things.
How to do that?

*

*

Madhukar

Old 04-23-2010, 12:57 AM
Kevin Fenzi

On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 17:35:22 -0700
<MGandra@diskeeper.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have an RPM package which will install and I need to get the
> Username and Password for root user and write it to a config file.

Why on earth for?

> I can have another script file through which I can get user input and
> install RPM and then write to the config file, but I want to get user
> input and install rpm from one file.

You should never ask for input when installing packages.

Perhaps you could have the application ask for configuration the first
time it's run?

> I need one file that I can distribute it and does above things. How
> to do that?

I would suggest backing up and looking at your higher level goals and
see if there is some better way to solve them.

kevin

Old 04-23-2010, 07:53 AM
"Richard W.M. Jones"

On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 05:35:22PM -0700, MGandra@diskeeper.com wrote:
> I have an RPM package which will install and I need to get the Username and
> Password for root user and write it to a config file.

This is a very bad idea. It's a massive security hole, and it will
break / won't work in all sorts of automated / GUI installation
scenarios.

Nevertheless, I did once work on an RPM for a proprietary database and
in that RPM we had to ask for a license key to be entered during RPM
installation. It does just work to read from stdin in the %post
script.

It was still a bad idea ...

Rich.

libguestfs lets you edit virtual machines. Supports shell scripting,
bindings from many languages. http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/libguestfs/
See what it can do: http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/libguestfs/recipes.html