-   -   Volonteering to own orphaned Java packages JLex and JDom (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-packaging/360703-volonteering-own-orphaned-java-packages-jlex-jdom.html)

Garrett Holmstrom 04-22-2010 10:32 PM

On 22 Apr 2010, at 16:12, Jon Ciesla wrote:
On 04/22/2010 04:08 PM, Edmon Begoli wrote:
>> Packages JLex and JDom have been recently orphaned and I am volunteering to
>> be a new owner of these.
>>
>> I am a new as a packager, so I would need to be approved and sponsored
>> as a packager
>> and to be a new owner of these for Fedora 14+.
>
> You'll need to submit a package for review, etc.
>
> Once your review is submitted, you could email the -devel list or this
> list, explain the situation, and you may find someone willing to work
> with you in this process.

You have to submit a new package review to get sponsorship when all you're doing is picking up an orphan? Why not just ask for informal package reviews like new people who want to bring in new packages usually do?

"Jason L Tibbitts III" 04-22-2010 11:28 PM

Volonteering to own orphaned Java packages JLex and JDom

GH> You have to submit a new package review to get sponsorship when all
GH> you're doing is picking up an orphan?

Actually there is no specific rule. Sponsors are free to sponsor
whomever they wish, but of course they will all want to see familiarity
with the packaging guidelines. I believe the Java community has at
least one sponsor who could help in this situation.

GH> Why not just ask for informal package reviews like new people who
GH> want to bring in new packages usually do?

Well, do keep in mind that informal reviews are only part of the
process. The actual submitted package is part of the procedure as
well. Without a submitted package, it's far more difficult to get a
feel for how someone will actually handle packaging.

- J<