Old 03-29-2010, 11:53 AM
Michel Alexandre Salim

Default Packaging a noarch pkgconfig library?

Hi all,

I'm packaging gnome-js-common, which contains some JavaScript
libraries intended to be used from gjs and seed (the latter is also
being packaged). It contains only noarch .js files, so I'm intending
to make the entire package noarch, but it also provides a .pc file.

It turns out that, on x86_64, the 64-bit pkgconfig does *not* pick up
files in /usr/lib/pkgconfig by default, which I guess is a good thing
in most situations. However, in this case it does make for an annoying
situation.

1) Overriding PKG_CONFIG_PATH is a bad idea. What if a program needs
gnome-js-common (which is noarch) and some arch-dependent libs that
also use pkgconfig for dependency tracking? It might erroneously
satisfy 64-bit dependencies with 32-bit ones.

2) Putting the .pc file in both /usr/lib64/pkgconfig *and*
/usr/lib/pkgconfig would require co-owning /usr/lib64/pkgconfig

Should I just leave the package as arch-dependent even though it is not?

Thanks,

--
Michel Alexandre Salim

Old 03-29-2010, 12:01 PM
Ralf Corsepius

On 03/29/2010 01:53 PM, Michel Alexandre Salim wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm packaging gnome-js-common, which contains some JavaScript
> libraries intended to be used from gjs and seed (the latter is also
> being packaged). It contains only noarch .js files, so I'm intending
> to make the entire package noarch, but it also provides a .pc file.
>
> It turns out that, on x86_64, the 64-bit pkgconfig does *not* pick up
> files in /usr/lib/pkgconfig by default, which I guess is a good thing
> in most situations. However, in this case it does make for an annoying
> situation.
>
> 1) Overriding PKG_CONFIG_PATH is a bad idea. What if a program needs
> gnome-js-common (which is noarch) and some arch-dependent libs that
> also use pkgconfig for dependency tracking? It might erroneously
> satisfy 64-bit dependencies with 32-bit ones.
>
> 2) Putting the .pc file in both /usr/lib64/pkgconfig *and*
> /usr/lib/pkgconfig would require co-owning /usr/lib64/pkgconfig
>
> Should I just leave the package as arch-dependent even though it is not?

noarch-package's *.pc's are supposed to be installed into
/usr/share/pkgconfig

Ralf