Old 03-24-2010, 01:39 AM

Default port opening and PATH modification in rpm spec file

Hi

*

I am new to rpm packaging and I want to do 2 things.

*

1.******
Modify the %PATH variable and add my “/usr/bin/Test
folder” to it. This should be done from RPM while installing. It should exist
until we uninstall.

2.******
Need to open a port so that our program can use it to
send and receive data. This also should be done from RPM while installing.

*

Thanks

Madhukar Gandra

*

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4969 (20100323) __________

http://www.eset.com

Old 03-24-2010, 09:26 AM
Manuel Wolfshant

MGandra@diskeeper.com wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am new to rpm packaging and I want to do 2 things.
>
> 1. Modify the %PATH variable and add my “/usr/bin/Test folder” to it.
> This should be done from RPM while installing. It should exist until
> we uninstall.

add a script in /etc/profiles.d

> 2. Need to open a port so that our program can use it to send and
> receive data. This also should be done from RPM while installing.

Add a Readme.Fedora file to your package describing the reasoning and
the needs. There are a miriad of ways to manage a local firewall and as
sysadmin I would not be happy with a random package messing with my
firewall.

Old 03-26-2010, 01:15 PM
Manuel Wolfshant

MGandra@diskeeper.com wrote:
> Hi
>
> Can you explain little bit more on what to write in script in
> etc/profiles.d? I also want to update environment variable LD_LIBRARY_PATH,
> how to do that.
>
> This is my first time on linux in my whole life.

this is an example for sh/bash. in your kindness you should also adapt
it for ksh / csh

#! /bin/bash

export PATH=$PATH:/my/new/folder/
export
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/new/path/to/be/added/to/this/variable

Mind that adding a global LD_LIBRARY_PATH is not at all a good idea
(it might interfere with other existing applications) so you'd better
just provide a script, available in the normal path of the users, which
would set this variable only when needed and for the period of time that
is needed.

Manuel

> Thanks
> Madhukar Gandra

Manuel Wolfshant linux registered user #131416
IT manager NoBug Consulting SRL
A: Yes.

Old 03-26-2010, 01:59 PM
Garrett Holmstrom

On 3/26/2010 9:15, Manuel Wolfshant wrote:
> this is an example for sh/bash. in your kindness you should also adapt
> it for ksh / csh
>
> #! /bin/bash
>
> export PATH=$PATH:/my/new/folder/
> export
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/new/path/to/be/added/to/this/variable
>

> Mind that adding a global LD_LIBRARY_PATH is not at all a good idea
> (it might interfere with other existing applications) so you'd better
> just provide a script, available in the normal path of the users, which
> would set this variable only when needed and for the period of time that
> is needed.

When packaging you should add a file to /etc/ld.so.conf.d [1, 2] or
possibly use an RPATH [3] rather than editing environment variables.

[1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Guidelines#AlternativeRpath
[2] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Guidelines#Shared_Libraries
[3]
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Guidelines#Rpath_for_Internal_Libraries