Old 03-01-2010, 02:09 AM
Kevin Kofler

Default Impasse on packaging JOGL and Gluegen

Henrique Junior wrote:
> Well, the symbiotic relationship between JOGL and Gluegen is because
> the Gluegen project is developed by the JOGL project, in principle,
> to be used only by JOGL.
>
> By Wikipedia:
> It was originally developed for JOGL, a Java OpenGL library, although
> the project has since been separated so it can be used with other
> libraries.

That's not a good reason to require a bundled version. It has been separated
so it can be used with other libraries, I don't see why JOGL itself can't
also use it that way. Technical details very much appreciated!

Kevin Kofler

Old 03-01-2010, 02:14 AM
"Chen Lei"

ňťĘ2010-03-01┬*11:00:59´╝î"Henrique┬*Junior"┬*<henriquecsj@gm ail.com>┬*ňćÖÚüô´╝Ü
>2010/2/28┬*Chen┬*Lei┬*<supercyper@163.com>:
>>┬*I┬*think┬*we┬*need┬*some┬*more┬*experienced┬*j ava┬*packager┬*to┬*accelerate┬*packaging
>>┬*scilab,┬*it┬*can┬*be┬*a┬*new┬*feature┬*for┬*F1 4.┬*┬*Since┬*scilab┬*may┬*be┬*the┬*best
>>┬*opensource┬*numerical┬*computational┬*software ,┬*is┬*there┬*someone┬*interseted┬*in
>>┬*packaging┬*scilab┬*for┬*fedora?
>>
>>┬*Regard,
>>┬*Chen┬*Lei
>
>Scilab┬*is,┬*in┬*fact,┬*in┬*advanced┬*packaging┬* stage,┬*waiting┬*for┬*JOGL.

A lot of java packages need package from scratch or patch(this may be difficult if you are not provenpackager, since some package maintainers are non-responsive for a long while) for scliab5.2.1.>--┬*

Old 03-01-2010, 04:09 AM
Alexander Kurtakov

> >Scilab?is,?in?fact,?in?advanced?packaging?stage,? waiting?for?JOGL.
>
> A lot of java packages need package from scratch or patch(this may be
> difficult if you are not provenpackager, since some package maintainers
> are non-responsive for a long while) for scliab5.2.1.

Please give us the following list:
* package name - maintainer - needed change

Thanks,
Alex

Old 03-01-2010, 01:36 PM
Adam Jackson

On Sun, 2010-02-28 at 15:49 +0100, Hans de Goede wrote:
> On 02/28/2010 03:39 PM, Henrique Junior wrote:
> > As Chen Lei said, the fact that JOGL needs this code may mean that it
> > will be blocked forever for packaging, but I do not particularly see a
> > big problem.
> > For more details, please, read the log in bugzilla and give your ideas
> > regarding this question.
>
> AFAIK we have had problems like this before with various bits of Xorg
> (iirc) needing the sources of other bits to build.
>
> The "usual" solution for this, is to give a package a -source subpackage,
> which contains the extracted sources (and installs them under
> /usr/src
>
> So I think the best way to handle this is to package gluegen, and include
> gluegen's sources as a gluegen-source subpackage, and then make jogl
> BuildRequire gluegen-source.

Yeah, we did this for Mesa from FC5 through F9. Certainly not ideal,
but such is life.

I wouldn't consider this a blocker for packaging, though I'd like to see
it fixed eventually. Usually when this kind of source build dependency
exists it's not a trivial thing to fix.

- ajax

Old 03-02-2010, 12:55 AM
Dave Airlie

On Mon, 2010-03-01 at 09:36 -0500, Adam Jackson wrote:
> On Sun, 2010-02-28 at 15:49 +0100, Hans de Goede wrote:
> > On 02/28/2010 03:39 PM, Henrique Junior wrote:
> > > As Chen Lei said, the fact that JOGL needs this code may mean that it
> > > will be blocked forever for packaging, but I do not particularly see a
> > > big problem.
> > > For more details, please, read the log in bugzilla and give your ideas
> > > regarding this question.
> >
> > AFAIK we have had problems like this before with various bits of Xorg
> > (iirc) needing the sources of other bits to build.
> >
> > The "usual" solution for this, is to give a package a -source subpackage,
> > which contains the extracted sources (and installs them under
> > /usr/src
> >
> > So I think the best way to handle this is to package gluegen, and include
> > gluegen's sources as a gluegen-source subpackage, and then make jogl
> > BuildRequire gluegen-source.
>
> Yeah, we did this for Mesa from FC5 through F9. Certainly not ideal,
> but such is life.
>
> I wouldn't consider this a blocker for packaging, though I'd like to see
> it fixed eventually. Usually when this kind of source build dependency
> exists it's not a trivial thing to fix.

We still do it now for x11vnc with xorg-x11-server.

%package source
Group: Development/Libraries
BuildArch: noarch

Dave.