Old 02-11-2010, 06:07 AM
Ville Skyttä

Default remove source files

On Thursday 11 February 2010, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:

> And yes, the Guidelines aren't explicit about needing to include them...
> it's been standard practice since forever. If people feel a need to make
> it explicit write a draft.

Here goes, insert after "Byte compiled files":

Source files

Old 02-15-2010, 08:07 PM
Toshio Kuratomi

On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 09:07:58AM +0200, Ville Skyttä wrote:
> On Thursday 11 February 2010, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
>
> > And yes, the Guidelines aren't explicit about needing to include them...
> > it's been standard practice since forever. If people feel a need to make
> > it explicit write a draft.
>
> Here goes, insert after "Byte compiled files":
>
> Source files
> ------------
>
> Source files (*.py) must be included in the same packages as the byte-compiled
> versions of them.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/No_py_removal%28draft%29

Feel free to modify it, I was aiming at pulling several elements on the page
that seemed to belong together into one section rather than changing the
meaning of anything you wrote.

-Toshio

Old 02-15-2010, 08:50 PM
Scott Frankel

Hi all,

Please excuse the naive question:

Is the upshot of this conversation that RPMs should not be used to
deliver closed-source applications written in Python?

Thanks
Scott

Old 02-15-2010, 09:01 PM
Garrett Holmstrom

On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 3:50 PM, Scott Frankel <frankel@circlesfx.com> wrote:
> Is the upshot of this conversation that RPMs should not be used to
> deliver closed-source applications written in Python?

Certainly not as part of Fedora. You're free to do whatever you like
with RPMs you ship yourself.

Old 02-15-2010, 09:24 PM
Scott Frankel

Thanks for the clarification

Old 02-15-2010, 09:28 PM
Toshio Kuratomi

On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 04:01:25PM -0600, Garrett Holmstrom wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 3:50 PM, Scott Frankel <frankel@circlesfx.com> wrote:
> > Is the upshot of this conversation that RPMs should not be used to
> > deliver closed-source applications written in Python?
>
> Certainly not as part of Fedora. You're free to do whatever you like
> with RPMs you ship yourself.

+1

The Fedora Packaging Guidelines contain some portions that are general
packaging best practices and also some things that are specific to
delivering an open source Linux Distribution. We haven't made any attempt
to separate these two requirements since the Guidelines are mostly written
for us and possibly to share with other Linux Distributions.

If you're shipping proprietary applications using RPMs, you can certainly
look at the Fedora Guidelines for examples of things that Linux admins in
general and Fedora admins in particular are looking for (compliance with the
FHS, no bundling of libraries, etc) but you can decide that you need or want
to ignore a particular Guideline because your requirements are different.
It's good to know both why you want to disregard the Guideline, though, and
why system admins want it to be followed so that you can justify your
decision to your customers :-)

-Toshio

Old 02-15-2010, 11:03 PM
Scott Frankel

On Feb 15, 2010, at 2:28 PM, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 04:01:25PM -0600, Garrett Holmstrom wrote:
>> On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 3:50 PM, Scott Frankel
>> <frankel@circlesfx.com> wrote:
>>> Is the upshot of this conversation that RPMs should not be used to
>>> deliver closed-source applications written in Python?
>>
>> Certainly not as part of Fedora. You're free to do whatever you like
>> with RPMs you ship yourself.
>>
> +1
>
> The Fedora Packaging Guidelines contain some portions that are general
> packaging best practices and also some things that are specific to
> delivering an open source Linux Distribution. We haven't made any
> attempt
> to separate these two requirements since the Guidelines are mostly
> written
> for us and possibly to share with other Linux Distributions.
>
> If you're shipping proprietary applications using RPMs, you can
> certainly
> look at the Fedora Guidelines for examples of things that Linux
> admins in
> general and Fedora admins in particular are looking for (compliance
> with the
> FHS, no bundling of libraries, etc) but you can decide that you need
> or want
> to ignore a particular Guideline because your requirements are
> different.
> It's good to know both why you want to disregard the Guideline,
> though, and
> why system admins want it to be followed so that you can justify your
> decision to your customers :-)

Absolutely. I may be new to building RPMs, but I'm no stranger to
bending guidelines

Thanks again!