Old 02-07-2010, 05:52 AM
"Chen Lei"

Default Placement of man pages

Hi all,I'm trying to package a library which have a lot of API documentations, so I intend to split them into -doc subpackage.The API documentations included in this library have several types such as html, pdf, man pages. I wonder which subpackage should the man pages goes in, the -devel subpackage or -doc subpackage?*Regard,Chen Lei

Old 02-07-2010, 11:04 AM
Michael Schwendt

On Sun, 7 Feb 2010 14:52:32 +0800 (CST), Chen wrote:

> Hi all,I'm trying to package a library which have a lot of API documentations, so I intend to split them into -doc subpackage.The API documentations included in this library have several types such as html, pdf, man pages. I wonder which subpackage should the man pages goes in, the -devel subpackage or -doc subpackage??Regard,Chen Lei

Those man pages, which cover the library API, normally belong into the
-devel package. But depending on their total size and quantity you may put
them into the -doc package instead:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:NamingGuidelines#Documentation_SubPackag es

--
Michael Schwendt
Fedora release 12 (Constantine) - Linux 2.6.31.12-174.2.3.fc12.i686.PAE

Old 02-07-2010, 05:05 PM
Ralf Corsepius

> On Sun, 7 Feb 2010 14:52:32 +0800 (CST), Chen wrote:
>
>> Hi all,I'm trying to package a library which have a lot of API documentations, so I intend to split them into -doc subpackage.The API documentations included in this library have several types such as html, pdf, man pages. I wonder which subpackage should the man pages goes in, the -devel subpackage or -doc subpackage??Regard,Chen Lei
>>

> Those man pages, which cover the library API, normally belong into the
> -devel package. But depending on their total size and quantity you may put
> them into the -doc package instead:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:NamingGuidelines#Documentation_SubPackag es

Man pages belong into the package they are documenting.

Normally this means *.1 go into the package, *.3's into the devel
package. Others need to be looked into on a case by case basis.

It also means shipping man-pagaes in *-doc packages under normal
circumstances is considered bad packaging.

Ralf