Old 01-13-2010, 10:39 AM
Till Maas

Default Emphasize correct hostname for SF.net URLs

Hiyas,

according toseveral messages about the source URL check in fedora-devel, people
used to think that the correct hostname for Source0 from Sourceforge
packages is download, but it is downloads. Therefore I propose to
emphasize the correct hostname in the Source:URL guidelines by adding an
admonition like this:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingDrafts/SourceURL_sourceforge_downloads_admonition

Regards
Till

Old 01-13-2010, 03:54 PM
Kevin Fenzi

On Wed, 13 Jan 2010 12:39:19 +0100
Till Maas <opensource@till.name> wrote:

> Hiyas,
>
> according toseveral messages about the source URL check in
> fedora-devel, people used to think that the correct hostname for
> Source0 from Sourceforge packages is download, but it is downloads.
> Therefore I propose to emphasize the correct hostname in the
> Source:URL guidelines by adding an admonition like this:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingDrafts/SourceURL_sourceforge_downloads_admonition

This seems like a good idea to me.

kevin

Old 01-13-2010, 04:25 PM
Tom Lane

> Till Maas <opensource@till.name> wrote:
>> according toseveral messages about the source URL check in
>> fedora-devel, people used to think that the correct hostname for
>> Source0 from Sourceforge packages is download, but it is downloads.
>> Therefore I propose to emphasize the correct hostname in the
>> Source:URL guidelines by adding an admonition like this:
>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingDrafts/SourceURL_sourceforge_downloads_admonition

Hmm, what I have in several of my packages is
Source: http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/%{name}/%{name}-%{version}.tar.gz

Is this deprecated or likely to disappear?

regards, tom lane

Old 01-13-2010, 04:39 PM
"Jason L Tibbitts III"

I don't know; we include the correct hostname twice in two different
examples; I weep for the world if we have to include blinking boxes that
say "please actually read the contents of this document".

- J<

Old 01-13-2010, 09:08 PM
Till Maas

On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 12:25:00PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Till Maas <opensource@till.name> wrote:
> >> according toseveral messages about the source URL check in
> >> fedora-devel, people used to think that the correct hostname for
> >> Source0 from Sourceforge packages is download, but it is downloads.
> >> Therefore I propose to emphasize the correct hostname in the
> >> Source:URL guidelines by adding an admonition like this:
> >> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingDrafts/SourceURL_sourceforge_downloads_admonition
>
> Hmm, what I have in several of my packages is
> Source: http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/%{name}/%{name}-%{version}.tar.gz
>
> Is this deprecated or likely to disappear?

Probably only the people at sourceforge know. All I know is that I only
remember problems with all other URLs except for the recommended URL.
The problems range from URLs not working anymore or the redirection to
the actual mirror not working. Also the only "downside" of the URL is
that it is longer than using some sf.net URL, but I would just use the
recommended URL and problem solved. In your case it also only requires
to remove tho characters, which can pretty easy be automated:

If only your packages are checked out in your CVS directory:

sed -i 's/pr(downloads.sourceforge)/1/' */devel/*.spec

But I am not sure, if a commit easily works:
cvs commit */devel/*.spec

Regards
Till

Old 01-14-2010, 12:10 PM
Michael Schwendt

On Wed, 13 Jan 2010 23:08:29 +0100, Till wrote:

> > Hmm, what I have in several of my packages is
> > Source: http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/%{name}/%{name}-%{version}.tar.gz
> >
> > Is this deprecated or likely to disappear?

The prdownloads url lways pointed at the graphical/interactive mirror
selection web page, as far as I know. It never was compatible with direct
downloading via wget (spectool!) or curl.

> Probably only the people at sourceforge know. All I know is that I only
> remember problems with all other URLs except for the recommended URL.

Sort of. Years ago, dl.sf.net (the short version of download.sf.net) used
to work really fine as a DNS-based mirror chooser, but has suffered from
increasing problems later when some of the mirror hosts started to time
out often.

$ host dl.sf.net|wc -l
14

downloads.sf.net on the other hand points at a single IP.

$ host downloads.sf.net|wc -l
1

Old 01-14-2010, 06:40 PM
Ville Skyttä

On Thursday 14 January 2010, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> [...]

This and the "correct" in Subject might be somewhat strongly put:

At the time I researched this a long time ago, there was no official
documentation from SourceForge blessing the use of any particular URL or
hostname for direct "wget-like" downloads. The downloads.sourceforge.net one
was just the one I found working most reliably, and it eventually found its
way to the guidelines.

If someone's interested, it wouldn't be a bad idea to browse through the
SourceForge docs to see if they have something documented these days, and if
not, ask via a support request or something if they have any recommendations.

Old 01-18-2010, 10:40 AM
Till Maas

On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 02:10:38PM +0100, Michael Schwendt wrote:

> > > Hmm, what I have in several of my packages is
> > > Source: http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/%{name}/%{name}-%{version}.tar.gz
> > >
> > > Is this deprecated or likely to disappear?
>
> The prdownloads url lways pointed at the graphical/interactive mirror
> selection web page, as far as I know. It never was compatible with direct
> downloading via wget (spectool!) or curl.

Currently it works:
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/pam-mount/pam_mount-1.30.tar.bz2

> > Probably only the people at sourceforge know. All I know is that I only
> > remember problems with all other URLs except for the recommended URL.
>
> Sort of. Years ago, dl.sf.net (the short version of download.sf.net) used
> to work really fine as a DNS-based mirror chooser, but has suffered from
> increasing problems later when some of the mirror hosts started to time
> out often.
>
> $ host dl.sf.net|wc -l
> 14

The DNS-based mirror chooser seems to be a bad choice. It seems to me to
be the only that always causes trouble, probably because bad mirrors are
cached or something else. Just now it was the only one that did not work
out of four URLs I tried.
http://dl.sf.net/pam-mount/pam_mount-1.30.tar.bz2 - 404

The prdownloads and these URLs work:
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/pam-mount/pam_mount-1.30.tar.bz2
http://downloads.sf.net/pam-mount/pam_mount-1.30.tar.bz2

> downloads.sf.net on the other hand points at a single IP.
>
> $ host downloads.sf.net|wc -l

And the hostname resolves to another IP than downloads.sourceforge.net:

host downloads.sf.net;host downloads.sourceforge.net
downloads.sf.net has address 216.34.181.129
downloads.sourceforge.net has address 216.34.181.59

Regards
Till

Old 01-18-2010, 10:49 AM
Till Maas

On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 09:40:26PM +0200, Ville Skyttä wrote:

> This and the "correct" in Subject might be somewhat strongly put:
>
> At the time I researched this a long time ago, there was no official
> documentation from SourceForge blessing the use of any particular URL or
> hostname for direct "wget-like" downloads. The downloads.sourceforge.net one
> was just the one I found working most reliably, and it eventually found its
> way to the guidelines.

Until there is evidence that another one should be used, using it is the
only correct one and also helps to migrate to another URL, if it seems
to be necessary, because then one simple regex would be enough.

> If someone's interested, it wouldn't be a bad idea to browse through the
> SourceForge docs to see if they have something documented these days, and if
> not, ask via a support request or something if they have any recommendations.

According to IRC there seems to be a holiday currently, I'll ask there
later again.

Regards
Till

Old 01-21-2010, 03:14 PM
Till Maas

On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 12:49:54PM +0100, Till Maas wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 09:40:26PM +0200, Ville Skyttä wrote:

> > If someone's interested, it wouldn't be a bad idea to browse through the
> > SourceForge docs to see if they have something documented these days, and if
> > not, ask via a support request or something if they have any recommendations.
>
> According to IRC there seems to be a holiday currently, I'll ask there
> later again.

A sourceforge staff member just recommended to me to use the URL we are
recommending the Guidelines, e.g.: