Old 01-04-2008, 11:35 PM
Timothy Selivanow

Default Package for pysvn

I'm trying to make a package for pysvn [http://pysvn.tigris.org] and I
have a few questions. Right now it's not compiling, rpmbuild is
complaining about "error: line 27: Package does not exist: %description
debuginfo", this must have changed either in F7 or F8 because this spec
worked a long time ago (F6/F7, not sure which).

Also, I discovered that the installer makes a differently named .so
depending on the version of python that it is compiling against, and I'd
like to know the best way to do an if style statement that will solve
that (I'd like to be able to use the same spec on CentOS too).

So, any help and comments would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Below is the spec file.

---BEGIN SPEC---

%{!?python_sitearch: %define python_sitearch %(%{__python} -c "from
distutils.sysconfig import get_python_lib; print get_python_lib(1)")}
%{!?python_version: %define python_version %(%{__python} -c 'from sys
import version_info; print str(version_info[0]) + "." +
str(version_info[1])')}

Name: pysvn
Version: 1.5.2
Release: 1%{dist}

Group: Development/Languages
License: http://www.apache.org/LICENSE.txt
Source0: pysvn-%{version}.tar.gz
BuildRoot:
%{_tmppath}/%{name}-%{version}-%{release}-root-%(%{__id_u} -n)
Requires: python > 2.3

BuildRequires: python-devel
BuildRequires: PyXML
BuildRequires: subversion-devel
BuildRequires: libgssapi-devel
BuildRequires: neon-devel
BuildRequires: chrpath

%description
Pythonic style bindings for Subversion

%description debuginfo
debug info

%prep
%setup -q

%build
cd Source
CFLAGS="$RPM_OPT_FLAGS" %{__python} setup.py configure
make
cd ../Tests
make

%install
rm -rf $RPM_BUILD_ROOT
mkdir -p $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{python_sitearch}/pysvn
cp Source/pysvn/__init__.py $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{python_sitearch}/pysvn
cp Source/pysvn/__init__.pyc $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{python_sitearch}/pysvn

#%if %(test [ "%{python_version}" == "2.5" ])
cp Source/pysvn/_pysvn_2_5.so $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{python_sitearch}/pysvn
chrpath --delete $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{python_sitearch}/pysvn/_pysvn_2_5.so
cd $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{python_sitearch}/pysvn
ln -s _pysvn_2_5.so _pysvn.so
#%else
#cp Source/pysvn/_pysvn.so $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{python_sitearch}/pysvn
#chrpath --delete $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{python_sitearch}/pysvn/_pysvn.so
#%endif

%clean
rm -rf $RPM_BUILD_ROOT

%files
%defattr(-,root,root,-)
%doc Docs/pysvn.html Docs/pysvn_prog_guide.html Docs/pysvn_prog_ref.html
Docs/pysvn_prog_ref.js

%{python_sitearch}/pysvn

%changelog
* Fri Jan 04 2008 Timothy Selivanow
<timothy.selivanow@virtualxistenz.com> - 1.5.2-2
- Attempting to make the spec work with different versions of Python

* Mon Sep 03 2007 Timothy Selivanow
<timothy.selivanow@virtualxistenz.com> - 1.5.2-1
- Update to 1.5.2
- Some spec clean up

* Fri Jan 12 2007 Timothy Selivanow
<timothy.selivanow@virtualxistenz.com> - 1.5.0-1
- Initial spec creation

---END SPEC---

--Tim
/ If you will practice being fictional for a while, you will understand that
| fictional characters are sometimes more real than people with bodies and |
heartbeats. /

Old 01-05-2008, 03:27 AM
Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams

On Fri, 2008-01-04 at 16:35 -0800, Timothy Selivanow wrote:
> I'm trying to make a package for pysvn [http://pysvn.tigris.org] and I
> have a few questions. Right now it's not compiling, rpmbuild is
> complaining about "error: line 27: Package does not exist: %description
> debuginfo", this must have changed either in F7 or F8 because this spec
> worked a long time ago (F6/F7, not sure which).

I've never seen a package that tries to set the description of its
debuginfo subpackage. I don't know what's changed to make it not work,
but it isn't necessary. Feel free to remove.

> Also, I discovered that the installer makes a differently named .so
> depending on the version of python that it is compiling against, and I'd
> like to know the best way to do an if style statement that will solve
> that (I'd like to be able to use the same spec on CentOS too).

*headdesk*

Hrm. That's fairly obnoxious. I would say just patch out the parts of
the code that do this (result in a different filename). There's
certainly no need for it after install.

Old 01-07-2008, 11:16 PM
Timothy Selivanow

On Mon, 2008-01-07 at 13:09 +0100, Terje Rosten wrote:
> * Timothy Selivanow
> |
> | I'm trying to make a package for pysvn [http://pysvn.tigris.org] and I
> | have a few questions. Right now it's not compiling, rpmbuild is
> | complaining about "error: line 27: Package does not exist: %description
> | debuginfo", this must have changed either in F7 or F8 because this spec
> | worked a long time ago (F6/F7, not sure which).
> |
> | Also, I discovered that the installer makes a differently named .so
> | depending on the version of python that it is compiling against, and I'd
> | like to know the best way to do an if style statement that will solve
> | that (I'd like to be able to use the same spec on CentOS too).
> |
> | So, any help and comments would be much appreciated. Thanks!
> |
> | Below is the spec file.
> |
> | ---BEGIN SPEC---
>
> Hi Tim,
>
> I took your spec and improved it a bit, spec, patches, srpm and rpm are
> available here:
>
> http://terjeros.fedorapeople.org/python-svn/
>
> Some notes:
> o renamed to python-svn (that's the proper way)
> o fixed license tag
> o add patch to remove rpath issue
> o add patch to remove the python version stuff
> o move tests to %%check (however they are failing...)
> o fixed src url
> o compile with fedora compile flags
> o use macros etc random clean up
>
> Feel free to improve further and submit for inclusion.
>

> - Terje

Thanks for all of that. I'm still getting the "Package does not exist"
error (full error below). Even after removing rpm-build, `yum clean
all`, and reinstalling rpm-build I still get that error. I tried it on
my home computer just now and it worked (both x86_64, but one intel and
the other amd). What do I need to look at to fix this?

Error:
"error: line 38: Package does not exist: %description debuginfo"

--Tim
< Be careful when a loop exits to the same place from side and bottom. >

Old 01-08-2008, 12:00 AM
Timothy Selivanow

On Mon, 2008-01-07 at 16:16 -0800, Timothy Selivanow wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-01-07 at 13:09 +0100, Terje Rosten wrote:
> > * Timothy Selivanow
> > |
> > | I'm trying to make a package for pysvn [http://pysvn.tigris.org] and I
> > | have a few questions. Right now it's not compiling, rpmbuild is
> > | complaining about "error: line 27: Package does not exist: %description
> > | debuginfo", this must have changed either in F7 or F8 because this spec
> > | worked a long time ago (F6/F7, not sure which).
> > |
> > | Also, I discovered that the installer makes a differently named .so
> > | depending on the version of python that it is compiling against, and I'd
> > | like to know the best way to do an if style statement that will solve
> > | that (I'd like to be able to use the same spec on CentOS too).
> > |
> > | So, any help and comments would be much appreciated. Thanks!
> > |
> > | Below is the spec file.
> > |
> > | ---BEGIN SPEC---
> >
> > Hi Tim,
> >
> > I took your spec and improved it a bit, spec, patches, srpm and rpm are
> > available here:
> >
> > http://terjeros.fedorapeople.org/python-svn/
> >
> > Some notes:
> > o renamed to python-svn (that's the proper way)
> > o fixed license tag
> > o add patch to remove rpath issue
> > o add patch to remove the python version stuff
> > o move tests to %%check (however they are failing...)

Yah, I see that. The error log shows multiple "ImportError: No module
named _pysvn". I'll continue to track this down, first things that come
to mind are: "did the pysvn-1.5.2-drop-version.patch mess the tests up?"
--or-- "putting the test in %check somehow changed the expected enviro."

> > o fixed src url
> > o compile with fedora compile flags
> > o use macros etc random clean up
> >
> > Feel free to improve further and submit for inclusion.
> >

> > - Terje

The package works as expected other-wise. I installed it on my home
machine and was able to do a quick test by checking something out. I
know that the _pysvn module connects to _pysvn.so, so I'll start
there...

--Tim
___________________________________
< All intelligent species own cats. >

Old 01-09-2008, 03:24 PM
Timothy Selivanow

On Wed, 2008-01-09 at 11:09 +0100, Terje RÝsten wrote:
> > Thanks for all of that. I'm still getting the "Package does not exist"
> > error (full error below). Even after removing rpm-build, `yum clean
> > all`, and reinstalling rpm-build I still get that error. I tried it on
> > my home computer just now and it worked (both x86_64, but one intel and
> > the other amd). What do I need to look at to fix this?
> >
> > Error:
> > "error: line 38: Package does not exist: %description debuginfo"
>
> OK, I need some more info. Can you try the following:
>
> Download the srpm:
>
> http://terjeros.fedorapeople.org/python-svn/python-svn-1.5.2-2.fc8.src.rpm
>
> Install by
>
> $ rpm -Uvh python-svn-1.5.2-2.fc8.src.rpm
>
> Now build by
>
> $ rpmbuild -ba /path/to/python-svn.spec
>

> Post any error output.
>
> Note: these lines
>
> %description debuginfo
> debug info
>
> in your original spec file should not be there, debuginfo packages is
> generated
> automagically by rpmbuild itself. Just remove those lines.
>

> - Terje

Same thing. I even did a rpmdev-wipetree to make sure I was using the
spec from the srpm. I think something is stuck in my environment, and I
don't know what it would be...

$ rpmdev-wipetree
Removing all build files...

$ ls -Al ./rpmbuild/SPECS/
total 0

$ rpm -Uvh ./python-svn-1.5.2-2.fc8.src.rpm
1ython-svn warning: user terjeros does not exist -
using root
warning: group fysikk does not exist - using root
########################################### [100%]
warning: user terjeros does not exist - using root
warning: group fysikk does not exist - using root

$ rpmbuild -ba ./rpmbuild/SPECS/python-svn.spec
error: line 38: Package does not exist: %description debuginfo

--Tim
/ "Oh dear, I think you'll find reality's on the blink again."
-- Marvin The Paranoid Android /

Old 01-09-2008, 03:32 PM
"Tom "spot" Callaway"

On Wed, 2008-01-09 at 08:24 -0800, Timothy Selivanow wrote:

> $ rpmbuild -ba ./rpmbuild/SPECS/python-svn.spec
> error: line 38: Package does not exist: %description debuginfo

For what it is worth, I downloaded the package from Terje's URL and it
builds fine on my end.

Look at your ~/.rpmmacros file, see if anything odd is in there.

Double check that you're using the clean spec file, with no "%
description debuginfo".

~spot

Old 01-09-2008, 05:08 PM
Timothy Selivanow

On Wed, 2008-01-09 at 11:32 -0500, Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-01-09 at 08:24 -0800, Timothy Selivanow wrote:
>
> > $ rpmbuild -ba ./rpmbuild/SPECS/python-svn.spec
> > error: line 38: Package does not exist: %description debuginfo
>
> For what it is worth, I downloaded the package from Terje's URL and it
> builds fine on my end.
>
> Look at your ~/.rpmmacros file, see if anything odd is in there.
>
> Double check that you're using the clean spec file, with no "%
> description debuginfo".
>
> ~spot

Aarg! ~/.rpmmacros was the first thing I checked initially, but I
missed it the first time.

FWIW: %packager != %package

As soon as I get the %check section fixed, I'll repost it for comments.

--Tim
/ court, n.:
| A place where they dispense with justice. |
-- Arthur Train /