-   -   Contributor License Agreement (CLA) (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-packaging/25133-contributor-license-agreement-cla.html)

Brad Bell 12-30-2007 01:42 PM

Contributor License Agreement (CLA)

I would like to understand a special case with respect to the CLA. It is
the case where the Fedora packager is also the copyright holder for the
package being contributed.

I am the original author and copyright holder for a package. That
package is currently distributed with the GPLv2 license. If I sign the
CLA and complete the package contribution, does this mean that the
original upstream source would no longer covered by the GPLv2 license,
but rather by the CLA ?

Jesse Keating 12-30-2007 02:19 PM

Contributor License Agreement (CLA)

On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 06:42:03 -0800
Brad Bell <bradbell@seanet.com> wrote:

> I would like to understand a special case with respect to the CLA. It
> is the case where the Fedora packager is also the copyright holder
> for the package being contributed.
>
> I am the original author and copyright holder for a package. That
> package is currently distributed with the GPLv2 license. If I sign
> the CLA and complete the package contribution, does this mean that
> the original upstream source would no longer covered by the GPLv2
> license, but rather by the CLA ?

No. The CLA does not and cannot alter the licensing of any work
brought to Fedora. It is purely for the work done for Fedora by Fedora
contributors, such as wiki entries, spec files (that aren't otherwise
provided/licensed via upstream), documentation, etc...

--
Jesse Keating

Marek Mahut 01-01-2008 10:11 PM

Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 06:42:03 -0800
> Brad Bell <bradbell@seanet.com> wrote:
>
>> I would like to understand a special case with respect to the CLA. It
>> is the case where the Fedora packager is also the copyright holder
>> for the package being contributed.
>>
>> I am the original author and copyright holder for a package. That
>> package is currently distributed with the GPLv2 license. If I sign
>> the CLA and complete the package contribution, does this mean that
>> the original upstream source would no longer covered by the GPLv2
>> license, but rather by the CLA ?
>
> No. The CLA does not and cannot alter the licensing of any work
> brought to Fedora. It is purely for the work done for Fedora by Fedora
> contributors, such as wiki entries, spec files (that aren't otherwise
> provided/licensed via upstream), documentation, etc...

What about patches? Is it under CLA or/and under package license?

--
Marek Mahut https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/Astronomy/
Fedora Project http://www.jamendo.com/

Jesse Keating 01-02-2008 01:00 AM

Contributor License Agreement (CLA)

On Wed, 02 Jan 2008 00:11:31 +0100
Marek Mahut <mmahut@fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> What about patches? Is it under CLA or/and under package license?

Depends on where the patch comes from. You could snake a patch that is
a diff from upstream and then it would fall under the upstream
license. You could create it from scratch and unless you apply a
license to it (which would have to be compatible with the software
you're patching's license) I do believe it would fall under the
software's license itself.

--
Jesse Keating