Old 12-28-2007, 08:08 PM
Axel Thimm

Default Executable "Source:"es

Hi,

maybe not an FPC question, but I'll have a go:

Since F9 Sources in the CVS "lost" their permission bit. For example
the nx specfile has

| Source11: nxfind-provides.sh
|
| %define _use_internal_dependency_generator 0
| %define __find_provides %{SOURCE11}

a classical approach when one needs to extend/alter the default
automatic dependency calculations.

How can I teach CVS/koji that my Source11 should please get its
execution bit back on? I could mess around in the specfile with chmod
on the sources in the %sourcedir or try to be a bit cleaner by copying
around the script and messing with its permissions there, but I think
that's all not really clean and a bad workaround in general confusing
anyone reading through the specfile (or trying to maintain it

Now the FPC question: We had agreed that sources should be either 0644
or 0755, did this change for F9 and later?

If not is this something to report on another list? Which one?
Bugzilla perhaps against koji?

If yes, would this be worth while sending out to
fedora-devel-announce?

Merry Xmas and enjoy the new year everyone!
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net

Old 12-29-2007, 10:41 AM
Ville Skyttä

On Friday 28 December 2007, Axel Thimm wrote:
> Hi,
>
> maybe not an FPC question, but I'll have a go:
>
> Since F9 Sources in the CVS "lost" their permission bit. For example
> the nx specfile has
>
> | Source11: nxfind-provides.sh
> |
> | %define _use_internal_dependency_generator 0
> | %define __find_provides %{SOURCE11}
>
> a classical approach when one needs to extend/alter the default
> automatic dependency calculations.
>
> How can I teach CVS/koji that my Source11 should please get its
> execution bit back on?

No idea, but personally I think relying on any other permissions to SourceX
and PatchX than read is fragile[0] and should be avoided. Doesn't this work
(note the "sh")?

%define __find_provides sh %{SOURCE11}

[0] In addition to this case, eg. using explicit permissions when SourceX are
copied directly to the binary package payloads is a must.

Old 12-30-2007, 11:53 AM
Axel Thimm

On Sat, Dec 29, 2007 at 01:41:06PM +0200, Ville Skyttä wrote:
> On Friday 28 December 2007, Axel Thimm wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > maybe not an FPC question, but I'll have a go:
> >
> > Since F9 Sources in the CVS "lost" their permission bit. For example
> > the nx specfile has
> >
> > | Source11: nxfind-provides.sh
> > |
> > | %define _use_internal_dependency_generator 0
> > | %define __find_provides %{SOURCE11}
> >
> > a classical approach when one needs to extend/alter the default
> > automatic dependency calculations.
> >
> > How can I teach CVS/koji that my Source11 should please get its
> > execution bit back on?
>
> No idea, but personally I think relying on any other permissions to SourceX
> and PatchX than read is fragile[0] and should be avoided. Doesn't this work
> (note the "sh")?
>
> %define __find_provides sh %{SOURCE11}

Thanks a lot, the workaround works.

But still there is an issue - obviously the FPC never mandated such a
change, either the infrastructure people made that decision for us or
it's a bug.

I wouldn't mind if the FPC would decide to do so, but I would mind if
other instances silently force such decisions through simply by defacto
methods.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net