Old 12-10-2007, 03:43 PM
Fernando Nasser

Default Heads up: tomcat6 package into Fedora 9

Hi guys,

We will be working on importing JPackage.org Tomcat 6 RPM into Fedora 9
(will be submitted as a new package).

I'd like to keep the tomcat5 package around as well, as some people may
want to use the old version still. The packages have versioned names so
they can be installed in parallel. Would that be OK?

Regards to all,
Fernando

Old 12-12-2007, 06:14 PM
Jason L Tibbitts III

FN> I'd like to keep the tomcat5 package around as well, as some
FN> people may want to use the old version still. The packages have
FN> versioned names so they can be installed in parallel. Would that
FN> be OK?

I don't see why that would be a problem, although I'm not really sure
of the implications of how the parallel installations would interact
with initscripts. I guess since tomcat 5 uses "tomcat5" for its
initscript there wouldn't be any conflict, but is there any point to
running both versions at the same time?

Also, I can't help but point out that we still really need someone
from (one of) the Java team(s) to help us write some Java guidelines.
Without guidelines, review tickets for Java packages have been piling
up, and it's taken me a lot of time just to get answers to basic
questions that have cropped up during a package review.

- J<

Old 12-12-2007, 06:39 PM
Devrim GÜNDÜZ

Hi,

On Wed, 2007-12-12 at 13:14 -0600, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:
> I guess since tomcat 5 uses "tomcat5" for its
> initscript there wouldn't be any conflict, but is there any point to
> running both versions at the same time?

I think what Fernando proposes is ability to install both versions at
the same time -- not running them at the same time, right? Yeah, they
will conflict in the default port settings, etc, but this will probably
not be an issue.

Devrim GÜNDÜZ , RHCE

Old 12-12-2007, 06:46 PM
Fernando Nasser