Old 09-21-2008, 12:29 AM
Ken Sedgwick

Default OpenSuse / Fedora Packaging Compatibility?

Greetings,

The ACE+TAO dev team currently has two different spec files for
generating RPMs. One has been oriented towards Fedora/Redhat build
environments and the other is used in the OpenSuse build environment.

The temptation is to make them the same (they are pretty similar).

Are there any unreconcilable differences between OpenSuse packaging and
Fedora Packaging?

More importantly, are there any examples of packages which currently use
the same spec file (perhaps with platform conditional blocks) for both
distributions? We'd sure love to use them as an example ...

Many thanks in advance!

Ken

--
Ken Sedgwick
Bonsai Software, Inc.

Old 09-21-2008, 02:59 AM
Roland Wolters

Hi Ken,

> More importantly, are there any examples of packages which currently use
> the same spec file (perhaps with platform conditional blocks) for both
> distributions? We'd sure love to use them as an example ...

The OpenSuse build service is full of specs which are used for building both
packages. The main problems are due to different names for some packages I
think, but these are handled by if-else statements which automatically check
the target distribution.

I think for independent software providers the best way is to simply set up a
OpenSuse build service on your servers and build your packages there. It will
produce packages and native repositories for several distributions with not
too much overhead.

Regards,

Roland

--
One must have chaos in one to give birth to a dancing star.
-- Zarathustra/Nietzsche

Old 09-21-2008, 04:17 AM
Axel Thimm

On Sat, Sep 20, 2008 at 05:29:34PM -0700, Ken Sedgwick wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> The ACE+TAO dev team currently has two different spec files for
> generating RPMs. One has been oriented towards Fedora/Redhat build
> environments and the other is used in the OpenSuse build environment.
>
> The temptation is to make them the same (they are pretty similar).
>
> Are there any unreconcilable differences between OpenSuse packaging and
> Fedora Packaging?
>
> More importantly, are there any examples of packages which currently use
> the same spec file (perhaps with platform conditional blocks) for both
> distributions? We'd sure love to use them as an example ...

Ideally the major rpm distros will one day try to create a common
ground on this, mainly in the naming area. But it will be a Herculian
task as at least one distro would have to rename its packages over the
EOL times of its products. Even if all parties agree it will not
happen tomorrow.

For today you need to either conditionalize the specfile, maintain
separate specfiles or create dummy wrapper packages for compatibility
(say you need foo-devel or foo-dev, just depend on say the former and
on suse create a wrapper foo-devel that just depends on foo-dev or the
other way around if you prefer the suse style).
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net

Old 09-21-2008, 07:54 AM
Nicolas Mailhot

Le dimanche 21 septembre 2008 * 07:17 +0300, Axel Thimm a écrit :

> For today you need to either conditionalize the specfile, maintain
> separate specfiles or create dummy wrapper packages for compatibility
> (say you need foo-devel or foo-dev, just depend on say the former and
> on suse create a wrapper foo-devel that just depends on foo-dev or the
> other way around if you prefer the suse style).

It's usually fairly easy to workaround distro package naming differences
without complex conditionnals by using file dependencies. (Some people
will try to remove them just because some tools may be slower processing
file deps. Well, duh, it's an old rpm feature, it works on every distro,
it's simple — conditionnals and other complex workarounds are just not
worth it IMHO. KISS)

--
Nicolas Mailhot