Old 12-10-2007, 11:56 AM
Sebastian Vahl

Default Best way of patching sources for changed libbeagle?

I need some help with the new libbeagle-0.3.0. This one is listed in
pkg-config with "libbeagle-1.0". The configure script of kerry (and also
brasero and yelp) are explicit checking for "libbeagle-0.0".
Upstream hasn't catched up the new beagle, yet, so I have to figure out what
is the best way of preparing my package (kerry) for the new libbeagle
version. And here I need some help because I'm not very familiar with
configure scripts.

My attempt here is to avoid a patch and change the libbeagle version with sed:

> %build
> unset QTDIR || : ; . /etc/profile.d/qt.sh
> export QTLIB=${QTDIR}/lib QTINC=${QTDIR}/include
>
> # libbeagle-version is now 0.1
> sed -i
> 's/LIBBEAGLE_PACKAGES="libbeagle-0.0"/LIBBEAGLE_PACKAGES="libbeagle-1.0"/'
> configure
>
> %configure --disable-rpath --disable-debug
> make %{?_smp_mflags}

A scratch build seems to be fine:

But I think there would be better options to to this.

Sebastian

Old 12-10-2007, 12:00 PM
Sebastian Vahl

Am Mo 10.Dezember 2007 schrieb Sebastian Vahl:
> I need some help with the new libbeagle-0.3.0. This one is listed in
> pkg-config with "libbeagle-1.0". The configure script of kerry (and also
> brasero and yelp) are explicit checking for "libbeagle-0.0".
> Upstream hasn't catched up the new beagle, yet, so I have to figure out
> what is the best way of preparing my package (kerry) for the new libbeagle
> version. And here I need some help because I'm not very familiar with
> configure scripts.
>
> My attempt here is to avoid a patch and change the libbeagle version with
sed:
> > %build
> > unset QTDIR || : ; . /etc/profile.d/qt.sh
> > export QTLIB=${QTDIR}/lib QTINC=${QTDIR}/include
> >
> > # libbeagle-version is now 0.1
> > sed -i
> > 's/LIBBEAGLE_PACKAGES="libbeagle-0.0"/LIBBEAGLE_PACKAGES="libbeagle-1.0"/
> >' configure
> >
> > %configure --disable-rpath --disable-debug
> > make %{?_smp_mflags}
>
> A scratch build seems to be fine:
> http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/taskinfo?taskID=285293
>

> But I think there would be better options to to this.
>
> Sebastian

Oh. I've forgotten to copy the part from the configure script:

Old 12-10-2007, 03:35 PM
"Tom "spot" Callaway"

On Mon, 2007-12-10 at 13:56 +0100, Sebastian Vahl wrote:
> I need some help with the new libbeagle-0.3.0. This one is listed in
> pkg-config with "libbeagle-1.0". The configure script of kerry (and also
> brasero and yelp) are explicit checking for "libbeagle-0.0".
> Upstream hasn't catched up the new beagle, yet, so I have to figure out what
> is the best way of preparing my package (kerry) for the new libbeagle
> version. And here I need some help because I'm not very familiar with
> configure scripts.
>
> My attempt here is to avoid a patch and change the libbeagle version with sed:

Seems fine. This is one of my pet-peeves with pkgconfig, by embedding a
"ABI/API/Arbitrary random version" in the identifier name, it makes
looking for the related values much much more difficult.

Instead of just asking pkgconfig for libgtkhtml's libs/headers, I've got
to check for libgtkhtml-3.14, then libgtkhtml-3.12, libgtkhtml-3.10,
libgtkhtml-3.08, libgtkhtml-3.06, libgtkhtml-3.04, and so on, ad
infinitum.

To be fair, this isn't pkgconfig's fault, it's GNOME's fault, as it
seems to be the one doing this. Evolution recently dropped this
practice, one can only hope that the rest of GNOME follows.

~spot

Old 12-10-2007, 04:25 PM
Ralf Corsepius

On Mon, 2007-12-10 at 11:35 -0500, Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-12-10 at 13:56 +0100, Sebastian Vahl wrote:
> > I need some help with the new libbeagle-0.3.0. This one is listed in
> > pkg-config with "libbeagle-1.0". The configure script of kerry (and also
> > brasero and yelp) are explicit checking for "libbeagle-0.0".
> > Upstream hasn't catched up the new beagle, yet, so I have to figure out what
> > is the best way of preparing my package (kerry) for the new libbeagle
> > version. And here I need some help because I'm not very familiar with
> > configure scripts.
> >
> > My attempt here is to avoid a patch and change the libbeagle version with sed:
>
> Seems fine. This is one of my pet-peeves with pkgconfig, by embedding a
> "ABI/API/Arbitrary random version" in the identifier name, it makes
> looking for the related values much much more difficult.
>
> Instead of just asking pkgconfig for libgtkhtml's libs/headers, I've got
> to check for libgtkhtml-3.14, then libgtkhtml-3.12, libgtkhtml-3.10,
> libgtkhtml-3.08, libgtkhtml-3.06, libgtkhtml-3.04, and so on, ad
> infinitum.

What you say only applies if a library's API is backward compatible to
its predecessor.

> To be fair, this isn't pkgconfig's fault, it's GNOME's fault, as it
> seems to be the one doing this.
Right, if a library's upstream is "backward compatible" they shouldn't
bump the *.pc's file name, but only the internal version number.

> Evolution recently dropped this
> practice, one can only hope that the rest of GNOME follows.
This advice is short-sighted.

Versioned *.pc are one way (another one is using a different
PKG_CONFIG_PATH) to permit parallel installation of API incompatible
packages. So my advice would be library upstreams not to tie their
*.pc's file names to package versions, but to API-versions, instead.

Ralf