-   -   OLPC sued for patent infringement in Nigeria (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-marketing/8612-olpc-sued-patent-infringement-nigeria.html)

Rahul Sundaram 11-29-2007 07:31 PM

OLPC sued for patent infringement in Nigeria

Hi,

The peril of patents on software...

http://lwn.net/Articles/260053/

"A company called Lagos Analysis Corporation has sent out a press
release announcing a patent infringement lawsuit against the One Laptop
Per Child project. "The patent infringement lawsuit was filed on
November 22nd, 2007 as a result of OLPC's willful infringement of
LANCOR's Nigeria Registered Design Patent #RD8489 and illegal reverse
engineering of its keyboard driver source codes for use in the XO
Laptops." The patent text is hard to find, but it seems to relate to the
design of keyboards which facilitate the typing of text in multiple
languages."

Rahul

Gian Paolo Mureddu 11-29-2007 09:23 PM

Rahul Sundaram escribió:

Hi,

The peril of patents on software...

http://lwn.net/Articles/260053/

"A company called Lagos Analysis Corporation has sent out a press
release announcing a patent infringement lawsuit against the One
Laptop Per Child project. "The patent infringement lawsuit was filed
on November 22nd, 2007 as a result of OLPC's willful infringement of
LANCOR's Nigeria Registered Design Patent #RD8489 and illegal reverse
engineering of its keyboard driver source codes for use in the XO
Laptops." The patent text is hard to find, but it seems to relate to
the design of keyboards which facilitate the typing of text in
multiple languages."

Rahul

There's one thing I don't get about this... The patent holder had plenty
of time to warn about this, especially with the immense coverage and
media OLPC has had in the last couple of years, why wait until now? I
mean, the patent holder works in the computer field, and (unless they've
been living under a rock in Nigeria) he must have known of the OLPC and
the XO for LONG time. Why not say anything before?

Jesse Keating 11-29-2007 09:36 PM

OLPC sued for patent infringement in Nigeria

On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 16:23:23 -0600
Gian Paolo Mureddu <gmureddu@prodigy.net.mx> wrote:

> There's one thing I don't get about this... The patent holder had
> plenty of time to warn about this, especially with the immense
> coverage and media OLPC has had in the last couple of years, why wait
> until now? I mean, the patent holder works in the computer field, and
> (unless they've been living under a rock in Nigeria) he must have
> known of the OLPC and the XO for LONG time. Why not say anything
> before?

Because before it would have been a lot easier for OLPC to make a
change. But now things are so far along, that OLPC may find it a lot
harder to change and will need to either prove their case in court or
come to a settlement. That's the typical strategy, wait until it's the
most painful time possible to launch your attack.

--
Jesse Keating RHCE (jkeating.livejournal.com)
Fedora Project (fedoraproject.org/wiki/JesseKeating)