Old 09-18-2012, 08:55 AM
Ankur Sinha

Default Pause google plus events for the time being?

Hi folks,

It appears g+ doesn't have a mechanism to set who you'd like to receive
event invitations from yet. At the moment, everyone in a circle you
invite gets invited, whether they follow you or not.

In this case, the invitation is going a little towards spamming. We
aren't the only ones that are having issues with the event system and
google devs appear to be working on improving the it already. However,
until they can sort it out to allow users to limit who they want to
receive invitations from, I suggest we pause the fedora test day
invitations on G+? All fedora community folks that receive the
invitations sort of send out invites to their circles, and it isn't
looking pretty :/

Maybe we can just limit it to "posts" about test days rather than
"events" and "invites"? (People aren't that finicky about posts
apparently)
--
Thanks,
Warm regards,

Please only print if necessary.

Looking to contribute to Fedora? Look here: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_Join_SIG

http://dodoincfedora.wordpress.com/

Old 09-18-2012, 09:19 AM
Jiri Eischmann

There have been exactly 2 people out of over 5000 who complained. I've
received much more positive feedback.
But all important test days have already gotten promoted, so I have no
problem to promote the rest just by posting it on our wall.

Jiri

Ankur Sinha p*še v Út 18. 09. 2012 v 18:55 +1000:

Old 09-18-2012, 09:35 AM
Ankur Sinha

On Tue, 2012-09-18 at 11:19 +0200, Jiri Eischmann wrote:
> There have been exactly 2 people out of over 5000 who complained. I've
> received much more positive feedback.
> But all important test days have already gotten promoted, so I have no
> problem to promote the rest just by posting it on our wall.
>
> Jiri

Hi,

Yeah. I've seen that only 2 people have commented about the "spamming".
However, that doesn't really tell us the actual number of people that
may be annoyed.

G+ does let you limit what notifications you get. I've posted this on
the comment thread too, so that the users can make the change. Since the
issue is solved, we can continue using events

G+: Settings > "Who can send you notifications" -> something more
limited than "Extended circles".

Old 09-18-2012, 02:18 PM
Mirn Duffy

On Tue, 2012-09-18 at 11:19 +0200, Jiri Eischmann wrote:
> There have been exactly 2 people out of over 5000 who complained. I've
> received much more positive feedback.
> But all important test days have already gotten promoted, so I have no
> problem to promote the rest just by posting it on our wall.

I didn't complain, but it's pretty annoying to be woken up in the middle
of the night for a Fedora Test Day calendar alarm (that I never accepted
or set up) on my phone.

~m

Old 09-18-2012, 02:30 PM
Jiri Eischmann

Máir*n Duffy p*še v Út 18. 09. 2012 v 10:18 -0400:
> On Tue, 2012-09-18 at 11:19 +0200, Jiri Eischmann wrote:
> > There have been exactly 2 people out of over 5000 who complained. I've
> > received much more positive feedback.
> > But all important test days have already gotten promoted, so I have no
> > problem to promote the rest just by posting it on our wall.
>
> I didn't complain, but it's pretty annoying to be woken up in the middle
> of the night for a Fedora Test Day calendar alarm (that I never accepted
> or set up) on my phone.

There seems to be something wrong with Google services if they save
unaccepted events in your calendar and even set an alarm for them.
If it is broken like this, then it's probably better to stop inviting
people.
If only our events got to news feeds of people that are following us,
but I don't think they do. So they will probably end up unseen and
unheard which is a pity.

Jiri

Old 09-18-2012, 02:34 PM
Jason Brooks

Why not just share with "Public"

Old 09-18-2012, 02:53 PM
Elad Alfassa

> Máir*n Duffy p*še v Út 18. 09. 2012 v 10:18 -0400:

>> On Tue, 2012-09-18 at 11:19 +0200, Jiri Eischmann wrote:

>> > There have been exactly 2 people out of over 5000 who complained. I've

>> > received much more positive feedback.

>> > But all important test days have already gotten promoted, so I have no

>> > problem to promote the rest just by posting it on our wall.

>> I didn't complain, but it's pretty annoying to be woken up in the middle

>> of the night for a Fedora Test Day calendar alarm (that I never accepted

>> or set up) on my phone.

> There seems to be something wrong with Google services if they save

> unaccepted events in your calendar and even set an alarm for them.

> If it is broken like this, then it's probably better to stop inviting

> people.

> If only our events got to news feeds of people that are following us,

> but I don't think they do. So they will probably end up unseen and

> unheard which is a pity.

> Jiri

marketing@lists.fedoraproject.org

-Elad Alfassa.

Old 09-18-2012, 11:41 PM
Ankur Sinha

On Tue, 2012-09-18 at 10:18 -0400, Mirn Duffy wrote:
> I didn't complain, but it's pretty annoying to be woken up in the
> middle
> of the night for a Fedora Test Day calendar alarm (that I never
> accepted
> or set up) on my phone.

This seems to be another default setting. Here's how you can prevent
events you aren't attending from showing up in your calendar:

http://support.google.com/calendar/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=37073

The rationale appears to be:

http://techcrunch.com/2012/06/29/google-is-rolling-out-changes-to-crack-down-on-google-event-spam/

Old 09-19-2012, 02:37 AM
Matthew Miller

On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 09:41:16AM +1000, Ankur Sinha wrote:
> On Tue, 2012-09-18 at 10:18 -0400, Mirn Duffy wrote:
> > I didn't complain, but it's pretty annoying to be woken up in the middle
> > of the night for a Fedora Test Day calendar alarm (that I never accepted
> > or set up) on my phone.
> This seems to be another default setting. Here's how you can prevent
> events you aren't attending from showing up in your calendar:
> http://support.google.com/calendar/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=37073

An alarm in the middle of the night seems different from _seeing_ an event
you aren't attending (which seems useful in itself).

--
Matthew Miller -- Fedora Cloud Architect -- <mattdm@fedoraproject.org>

Old 09-19-2012, 02:56 AM
Ankur Sinha

On Tue, 2012-09-18 at 22:37 -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 09:41:16AM +1000, Ankur Sinha wrote:
> > On Tue, 2012-09-18 at 10:18 -0400, Mirn Duffy wrote:
> > > I didn't complain, but it's pretty annoying to be woken up in the middle
> > > of the night for a Fedora Test Day calendar alarm (that I never accepted
> > > or set up) on my phone.
> > This seems to be another default setting. Here's how you can prevent
> > events you aren't attending from showing up in your calendar:
> > http://support.google.com/calendar/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=37073
>
> An alarm in the middle of the night seems different from _seeing_ an event
> you aren't attending (which seems useful in itself).

There's another option under "Automatically add invitations to my
calendar":

- Yes, but don't send event reminders unless I have responded "Yes" or
"Maybe"

Probably what you're looking for, please look at the various settings
provided by google calendar. These are google+ quirks, not something the
fedora project has a hold on.