FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora Marketing

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 09-19-2012, 08:55 AM
Jaroslav Reznik
 
Default Pause google plus events for the time being?

----- Original Message -----
> On Tue, 2012-09-18 at 11:19 +0200, Jiri Eischmann wrote:
> > There have been exactly 2 people out of over 5000 who complained.
> > I've
> > received much more positive feedback.
> > But all important test days have already gotten promoted, so I have
> > no
> > problem to promote the rest just by posting it on our wall.
>
> I didn't complain, but it's pretty annoying to be woken up in the
> middle
> of the night for a Fedora Test Day calendar alarm (that I never
> accepted
> or set up) on my phone.

And Google is really very aggressive in this - spamming you if you're
really not going several times...

On the other hand - for some reason open source friendly people (and
seems like only IT people being there) made proprietary G+ central
place for everything. So it's a good communication channel and it
would be sad to loose it.

R.

> ~m
>
> --
> marketing mailing list
> marketing@lists.fedoraproject.org
> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/marketing
--
marketing mailing list
marketing@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/marketing
 
Old 09-19-2012, 10:19 AM
Matthew Miller
 
Default Pause google plus events for the time being?

On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 12:56:10PM +1000, Ankur Sinha wrote:
> There's another option under "Automatically add invitations to my
> calendar":
> - Yes, but don't send event reminders unless I have responded "Yes" or
> "Maybe"

Ah yes, there it is. Thanks.

> Probably what you're looking for, please look at the various settings
> provided by google calendar. These are google+ quirks, not something the
> fedora project has a hold on.

Wasn't this kind of thing the reason open source software was invented in
the first place? I'm just sayin'.

--
Matthew Miller -- Fedora Cloud Architect -- <mattdm@fedoraproject.org>
--
marketing mailing list
marketing@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/marketing
 
Old 09-20-2012, 12:06 AM
Jason Brooks
 
Default Pause google plus events for the time being?

On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 7:34 AM, Jason Brooks
<jasonbrooks@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> Why not just share with "Public"
>

This is what I'm talking about:
https://plus.google.com/u/0/events/c10kv3m5al4pc7d8td3ntdn649o. It's
an Eclipse event invite that I saw in my stream because it's shared
with "Public" and because I follow the Eclipse page.

It didn't spam me or appear in my calendar automatically, because the
Eclipse page didn't invite me directly, the way we directly invited
the thousands of people who circled the Fedora page.

> On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 7:30 AM, Jiri Eischmann <eischmann@redhat.com> wrote:
>> Máir*n Duffy p*še v Út 18. 09. 2012 v 10:18 -0400:
>>> On Tue, 2012-09-18 at 11:19 +0200, Jiri Eischmann wrote:
>>> > There have been exactly 2 people out of over 5000 who complained. I've
>>> > received much more positive feedback.
>>> > But all important test days have already gotten promoted, so I have no
>>> > problem to promote the rest just by posting it on our wall.
>>>
>>> I didn't complain, but it's pretty annoying to be woken up in the middle
>>> of the night for a Fedora Test Day calendar alarm (that I never accepted
>>> or set up) on my phone.
>>
>> There seems to be something wrong with Google services if they save
>> unaccepted events in your calendar and even set an alarm for them.
>> If it is broken like this, then it's probably better to stop inviting
>> people.
>> If only our events got to news feeds of people that are following us,
>> but I don't think they do. So they will probably end up unseen and
>> unheard which is a pity.
>>
>> Jiri
>>
>>
>> --
>> marketing mailing list
>> marketing@lists.fedoraproject.org
>> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/marketing
--
marketing mailing list
marketing@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/marketing
 
Old 10-01-2012, 05:40 PM
Mirn Duffy
 
Default Pause google plus events for the time being?

So I got woken up at 6 AM this morning for a Fedora G+ event - ABRT
testing.

Can we please fix this?

Thanks,
~m

--
marketing mailing list
marketing@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/marketing
 
Old 10-01-2012, 05:42 PM
Mirn Duffy
 
Default Pause google plus events for the time being?

On Wed, 2012-09-19 at 12:56 +1000, Ankur Sinha wrote:
> There's another option under "Automatically add invitations to my
> calendar":
>
> - Yes, but don't send event reminders unless I have responded "Yes" or
> "Maybe"
>
> Probably what you're looking for, please look at the various settings
> provided by google calendar. These are google+ quirks, not something the
> fedora project has a hold on.

Are you going to provide these instructions to every single person who
follows Fedora who doesn't know about this lovely G+ quirk?

You're going to see a lot of unfollows unless you change the way you're
listing these events.

~m

--
marketing mailing list
marketing@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/marketing
 
Old 10-02-2012, 08:57 AM
Jiri Eischmann
 
Default Pause google plus events for the time being?

We can't pull the invitations back. There is one more - power management
on Oct 11th. And that's it.
I've done a few changes. First I deleted the Users circle because the
limit for users in groups of one person/page is 5000. This circle had
nearly 5000 users and we didn't have room for adding users to circle
that make more sense (Contributors, Ambassadors, Media,...). This circle
was used to send out the invitations. Therefore, we currently have no
one to send it to.
But there was definitely stronger feedback from people who appreciated
invitations and reminders, so I don't want take it from them completely
which is why I created a circle called Invitations in which there are
people who explicitly said they wanted to receive invitations.

BTW more intensive promotion of test days definitely helped us. X Test
Week collected 2-3 times more results than the last time. Since we
restarted the page, nearly 500 more added us to their circles.

Jiri

Máir*n Duffy p*še v Po 01. 10. 2012 v 13:40 -0400:
> So I got woken up at 6 AM this morning for a Fedora G+ event - ABRT
> testing.
>
> Can we please fix this?
>
> Thanks,
> ~m
>


--
marketing mailing list
marketing@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/marketing
 
Old 10-02-2012, 01:25 PM
Álvaro Castillo
 
Default Pause google plus events for the time being?

Hi!


This is OT(?)

Problem is timetable. A lot users has got schools on 12:00. I liked have joined it. However, as a lot people got school too. Is so sad...* I think change timetable to 15:00 for example. I as a lot people stay on your home.



Is bit opinion


About spaming... Maybe was three mails that sent it about F18 test. If they are on circles I think is because want know about Fedora. I guess....


Thanks!

On Oct 2, 2012 9:57 AM, "Jiri Eischmann" <eischmann@redhat.com> wrote:
We can't pull the invitations back. There is one more - power management

on Oct 11th. And that's it.

I've done a few changes. First I deleted the Users circle because the

limit for users in groups of one person/page is 5000. This circle had

nearly 5000 users and we didn't have room for adding users to circle

that make more sense (Contributors, Ambassadors, Media,...). This circle

was used to send out the invitations. Therefore, we currently have no

one to send it to.

But there was definitely stronger feedback from people who appreciated

invitations and reminders, so I don't want take it from them completely

which is why I created a circle called Invitations in which there are

people who explicitly said they wanted to receive invitations.



BTW more intensive promotion of test days definitely helped us. X Test

Week collected 2-3 times more results than the last time. Since we

restarted the page, nearly 500 more added us to their circles.



Jiri



Máir*n Duffy p*še v Po 01. 10. 2012 v 13:40 -0400:

> So I got woken up at 6 AM this morning for a Fedora G+ event - ABRT

> testing.

>

> Can we please fix this?

>

> Thanks,

> ~m

>





--

marketing mailing list

marketing@lists.fedoraproject.org

https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/marketing
--
marketing mailing list
marketing@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/marketing
 
Old 10-02-2012, 01:56 PM
Jiri Eischmann
 
Default Pause google plus events for the time being?

Álvaro Castillo p*še v Út 02. 10. 2012 v 14:25 +0100:
> Hi!
>
> This is OT(?)
> Problem is timetable. A lot users has got schools on 12:00. I liked
> have joined it. However, as a lot people got school too. Is so sad...
> I think change timetable to 15:00 for example. I as a lot people stay
> on your home.

Hi Alvaro,
the problem is that it's a global event. It's 12pm for you, but it's 6am
for people in Boston, late at night for people in Asia and Australia.
There is really no good time to set up.
Google+ doesn't have all-day events which is IMHO a big fail, but until
they fix it we have to deal with it.

Jiri

> About spaming... Maybe was three mails that sent it about F18 test. If
> they are on circles I think is because want know about Fedora. I
> guess....
>
> Thanks!
>
> On Oct 2, 2012 9:57 AM, "Jiri Eischmann" <eischmann@redhat.com> wrote:
> We can't pull the invitations back. There is one more - power
> management
> on Oct 11th. And that's it.
> I've done a few changes. First I deleted the Users circle
> because the
> limit for users in groups of one person/page is 5000. This
> circle had
> nearly 5000 users and we didn't have room for adding users to
> circle
> that make more sense (Contributors, Ambassadors, Media,...).
> This circle
> was used to send out the invitations. Therefore, we currently
> have no
> one to send it to.
> But there was definitely stronger feedback from people who
> appreciated
> invitations and reminders, so I don't want take it from them
> completely
> which is why I created a circle called Invitations in which
> there are
> people who explicitly said they wanted to receive invitations.
>
> BTW more intensive promotion of test days definitely helped
> us. X Test
> Week collected 2-3 times more results than the last time.
> Since we
> restarted the page, nearly 500 more added us to their circles.
>
> Jiri
>
> Máir*n Duffy p*še v Po 01. 10. 2012 v 13:40 -0400:
> > So I got woken up at 6 AM this morning for a Fedora G+ event
> - ABRT
> > testing.
> >
> > Can we please fix this?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > ~m
> >
>
>
> --
> marketing mailing list
> marketing@lists.fedoraproject.org
> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/marketing


--
marketing mailing list
marketing@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/marketing
 
Old 10-02-2012, 02:28 PM
Mirn Duffy
 
Default Pause google plus events for the time being?

On Tue, 2012-10-02 at 10:57 +0200, Jiri Eischmann wrote:
> But there was definitely stronger feedback from people who appreciated
> invitations and reminders, so I don't want take it from them completely
> which is why I created a circle called Invitations in which there are
> people who explicitly said they wanted to receive invitations.

I just don't understand why it's alarming me when I never accepted it.
>
> BTW more intensive promotion of test days definitely helped us. X Test
> Week collected 2-3 times more results than the last time. Since we
> restarted the page, nearly 500 more added us to their circles.

Thank you for the fixes, I'll be sure to turn my phone completely off
when I go to bed on the 10th.

~m

--
marketing mailing list
marketing@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/marketing
 
Old 10-02-2012, 03:26 PM
Jiri Eischmann
 
Default Pause google plus events for the time being?

Máir*n Duffy p*še v Út 02. 10. 2012 v 10:28 -0400:
> On Tue, 2012-10-02 at 10:57 +0200, Jiri Eischmann wrote:
> > But there was definitely stronger feedback from people who appreciated
> > invitations and reminders, so I don't want take it from them completely
> > which is why I created a circle called Invitations in which there are
> > people who explicitly said they wanted to receive invitations.
>
> I just don't understand why it's alarming me when I never accepted it.

Because Google+ has such bad defaults that it doesn't wait for your
acceptance and puts it in your calendar with alarms right away.
Zimbra behaves a very similar way.

> > BTW more intensive promotion of test days definitely helped us. X Test
> > Week collected 2-3 times more results than the last time. Since we
> > restarted the page, nearly 500 more added us to their circles.
>
> Thank you for the fixes, I'll be sure to turn my phone completely off
> when I go to bed on the 10th.

Declining the event or deleting it from your calendar should solve it.

Jiri



--
marketing mailing list
marketing@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/marketing
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 06:24 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org