Old 08-29-2012, 02:43 AM
Ankur Sinha

Default Coordination in social networks

On Wed, 2012-08-29 at 02:07 +0200, Vinzenz Vietzke wrote:
> I'd propose a way somewhere in between:
> A relatively big team of Ambassadors and Marketeers, maybe around ~20
> people. They have a look at the buzz going on at various social
> networks
> an try act on trouble, spread word etc.
> Imagine someone ranting on twitter on some "crappy thing in Fedora"
> and
> the social network team could show him where to get help or to find a
> solution. That guy would be way less angry, as Fedora at least tried
> help him - even if the problem can't be solved.
> --> Big win for all of us!
>
> What'cha think?

Hello,

IMO, everyone in the fedora community is already supposed to be doing
this, irrespective of whether they're in the marketing SIG or the
ambassadors SIG. I'd prefer *more* folks leading by example then us
coming up with a team for this really.

Most of us at the facebook group/#fedora irc etc. already talk to users,
help them etc. If everyone would do the same for whatever social app
they prefer, we won't really need a team.
--
Thanks,
Warm regards,

Please only print if necessary.

Looking to contribute to Fedora? Look here: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_Join_SIG

http://dodoincfedora.wordpress.com/

Old 08-29-2012, 02:49 AM
Arnav Kalra

What about blogs? Google plus posts?

> We already monitor the webs for fedora postings. Any news/publications

> about fedora can be sent to the list with [in the news] in the subject.

> We're supposed to be collating them all on the wiki page. Not sure how

> that's been going either. Another thing that needs reactivation? :/

I would like to help with this too.

> As you'll see, there isn't even a page for F17[1]! :

Who is the marketing team leader ?

Old 08-29-2012, 03:03 AM
Ankur Sinha

On Wed, 2012-08-29 at 08:19 +0530, Arnav Kalra wrote:
> What about blogs? Google plus posts?

You can get started on them as I described using the [in the news] tag
in the subject line.

> > We already monitor the webs for fedora postings. Any
> news/publications
> > about fedora can be sent to the list with [in the news] in the
> subject.
>

> > We're supposed to be collating them all on the wiki page. Not sure
> how
> > that's been going either. Another thing that needs reactivation? :/
> >
> I would like to help with this too.

Great. If you have the time, please go through the marketing archives
and place stuff related to Fedora 17 on the wiki page

> > As you'll see, there isn't even a page for F17[1]! :
>
> Who is the marketing team leader ?

I don't see how this matters. If you see that there is work to be done,
take it up and do it. You don't a "sign off" for this.

Old 08-29-2012, 06:21 AM
Ankur Sinha

On Tue, 2012-08-28 at 22:20 +1000, Ankur Sinha wrote:
> Another fedora account:
> https://www.facebook.com/fedoraproject.org

Got a reply from this one. It's handled by Suresh[1] who is involved in
freemedia and l10n

[1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Sureshinde

Old 08-29-2012, 06:32 AM
Ankur Sinha

On Tue, 2012-08-28 at 08:34 -0600, Kevin Fenzi wrote:

> I have access to this one.
>
> I'm not sure I can grant other admins, but I can post there, etc.

I've updated the page with whatever info we've found:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Marketing_social_networks

Old 08-29-2012, 12:16 PM
Jiri Eischmann

OK,
thank you for the discussion. It has brought a lot of new ideas. But I
think we shouldn't go too large at the beginning and rather start with a
humble, but working solution.
Let me summarize the discussion and draw some action items:

* we know who has access to Twitter, Identi.ca, and Google+ accounts, we
need to talk to them about sharing/giving us the access,
* we need to find out who has access to Facebook,
* we're looking for a group of volunteers who would regularly take care
of the accounts, ideally at least 2-3 people. Who's signing up? ,
* I'd love to see someone in charge, a coordinator, who'd make sure all
necessary steps get done, get access to all accounts etc. Who's signing
up?
* we should have a different approach to each social network to fully
leverage the network, the accounts shouldn't work just as RSS [1],
* things we should start with:
- posting announcements (releases, new apps, Fedora in media,...)
- creating events on G+ and FB (I'd start with test days which are
really important for us now)
- posting pictures from main events such as FUDCons
* I don't think creating a separate mailing list is something that has
to be done at the beginning. When the group of volunteers is created
they can eventually decide what works the best for them. It'd be mainly
for coordination between them.

There are definitely more ideas such as using Hangout, blogs etc., but
I'd start with the ideas above. When this is fairly working we can
broaden our social media activities.

Jiri

[1] Our post should start interaction. For example instead of a simple
post "MATE Desktop goes to Fedora 18" I'd rather see "MATE Desktop goes
to Fedora 18. Will you give a try or are you OK with GNOME 3?".

Jiri Eischmann p*še v Út 28. 08. 2012 v 13:42 +0200:

Old 08-29-2012, 12:50 PM
Robyn Bergeron

On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 7:21 PM, Ankur Sinha <sanjay.ankur@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-08-29 at 07:41 +0530, Arnav Kalra wrote:
>> +1
>> I would like to help with this. I am active on Google plus.
>> We can also create a list of people who blog or post about Linux.
>> We should monitor their content for anything related to fedora and
>> reply if needed.
>
> We already monitor the webs for fedora postings. Any news/publications
> about fedora can be sent to the list with [in the news] in the subject.
>
> We're supposed to be collating them all on the wiki page. Not sure how
> that's been going either. Another thing that needs reactivation? :/
>
> As you'll see, there isn't even a page for F17[1]! :$

I am the person who did it for multiple releases. It eventually got to
the point where it was too low of a priority for me to do, when I had
multiple jobs (FPL, program manager).

My main gripes with this are:

* OMG, pain in the butt. Seriously. Wiki tables aren't awesome fun;
we are collecting the title, the link, the author, the date (not the
date it posted to the list, but the publication date), the language.
That's a lot of back and forth between multiple windows of cut and
pasting. Not to sound like a wuss, but when I did these in batches,
it would normally take me a number of hours to go through 10-20 posts.

* Return on investment. We collect the articles .... and ??? We never
did follow-up, except for the instances where someone would say
something horribly wrong or incorrect in an article and someone would
generally reach out to the author and try to correct them. Ideally,
we'd take the list of people and make sure they were all on a press
list for release time, or do something like count the number of news
postings we'd get on a release day, and use that as a benchmark for
the next release to measure if we were getting more press, less press,
etc. Or identify reasons/causes of attracting press attention,
outside of releases, and fine-tune our outreach. But we don't do
anything right now, except still the occasional "correct the author's
misinformation" type of thing, so going through and manually
collecting things is hard.

In my dream universe, I've always wanted to see a simple web tool
where someone - instead of cutting/pasting into an email - could
cut/paste into a small web app where they could put the title, date,
author, etc. and then it would automagically post that in pretty table
format to a wiki. Encouraging people to do the wiki entry on their
own when doing an in-the-news posting to the mailing list didn't yield
many results, and making it a requirement I suspect would just cut
down on the number of notifications we receive. I am a fan of dead
simple and this, while sort of dead simple, assuming you know how to
use wiki tables, still sucks in terms of time/window swapping/omg i
forgot the extra bracket and it hosed my whole page/omg i closed the
window accidentally after entering 4 articles (though this is far less
of a problem now with the reopen closed tab thing, but when that
wasn't around, omg, I wanted to stab little kittens when I did that).

One other thing to consider is that nowadays, there's a fine line
between "news by people who write news articles for news sites" and
"random blog posts/reviews of Fedora on personal blogs" - we often mix
both of these into this list, and though sometimes they'll qualify as
both, or someone's blog post will be so controversial it is news in
and of itself... I don't really consider the latter to be a "news"
type of thing, though perhaps the collection of reviews on its own
might merit some sort of other scrutiny. I could definitely see
someone going through non-news blog reviews and doing a round-up of
the most common review points/feedback/perceptions that we are seeing
from people, and seeing if there was a way to pass that feedback along
somehow (to fesco, or I don't know who.)

-robyn

Old 08-29-2012, 12:50 PM
Robyn Bergeron

On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 7:49 PM, Arnav Kalra <arnavkalra007@gmail.com> wrote:
> What about blogs? Google plus posts?
>

>> We already monitor the webs for fedora postings. Any news/publications
>> about fedora can be sent to the list with [in the news] in the subject.
>
>> We're supposed to be collating them all on the wiki page. Not sure how
>> that's been going either. Another thing that needs reactivation? :/
>>
> I would like to help with this too.
>
>> As you'll see, there isn't even a page for F17[1]! :
>
> Who is the marketing team leader ?

Ruth Suehle. She just took over from me not long ago; she's
previously posted on the mailing list about this.

-r

Old 08-29-2012, 12:51 PM
Arnav Kalra

* we're looking for a group of volunteers who would regularly take care

of the accounts, ideally at least 2-3 people. Who's signing up? ,
I would like to help.

* we should have a different approach to each social network to fully

leverage the network, the accounts shouldn't work just as RSS [1],
For this we need* a person with a lot of experience with that specific social network.
*

* things we should start with:

*- posting announcements (releases, new apps, Fedora in media,...)

*- creating events on G+ and FB (I'd start with test days which are

really important for us now)

*- posting pictures from main events such as FUDCons
+1
*
* I don't think creating a separate mailing list is something that has

to be done at the beginning. When the group of volunteers is created

they can eventually decide what works the best for them. It'd be mainly

for coordination between them.
We can use specific tags for this.