Old 08-28-2012, 02:34 PM
Kevin Fenzi

Default Coordination in social networks

On Tue, 28 Aug 2012 13:42:08 +0200
Jiri Eischmann <eischmann@redhat.com> wrote:

...snip...

> Google+ - no one has posted there since May, admin?

I have access to this one.

I'm not sure I can grant other admins, but I can post there, etc.

kevin

Old 08-28-2012, 02:41 PM
Christopher Meng

I think we can link some account such as facebook with twitter in order to speed up the announcement spreading.
But I think we should ask the coordinator at first....

Old 08-28-2012, 02:47 PM
Joerg Simon

On 28.08.2012 15:34, Ruth Suehle wrote:
> This has been on my radar too, but I was hoping the people listed on
> the Microblogging page on the wiki were still doing things. But I'd
> been thinking about just what you guys have--inquiring about whether
> they're still maintaining, etc. A social-media mailing list may be in
> order, separate from the marketing list where we can have those
> account admins join and as necessary send mail that says, "Please
> faceplustweet this:" so it doesn't get lost in our general mktg list
> traffic.

i am not sure if this was discussed before - and even if it is a good
idea, but if we really want to have content in g+ etc. why not re-post
our planet content on this places?

cu Joerg

--
Joerg (kital) Simon
jsimon@fedoraproject.org

Old 08-28-2012, 02:50 PM
Ruth Suehle

| I'm not sure I can grant other admins, but I can post there, etc.

Google+ fairly recently changed how the pages work, so you can add multiple admins now.

Old 08-28-2012, 03:47 PM
Jiri Eischmann

Joerg Simon pÃ*Å¡e v Út 28. 08. 2012 v 16:47 +0200:
> On 28.08.2012 15:34, Ruth Suehle wrote:
> > This has been on my radar too, but I was hoping the people listed on
> > the Microblogging page on the wiki were still doing things. But I'd
> > been thinking about just what you guys have--inquiring about whether
> > they're still maintaining, etc. A social-media mailing list may be in
> > order, separate from the marketing list where we can have those
> > account admins join and as necessary send mail that says, "Please
> > faceplustweet this:" so it doesn't get lost in our general mktg list
> > traffic.
>
> i am not sure if this was discussed before - and even if it is a good
> idea, but if we really want to have content in g+ etc. why not re-post
> our planet content on this places?

That would be an improvement, but I think if we want to do something
about it we should do it right. I wouldn't degrade social networks just
to RSS readers. They offer much more and we should utilize it. (for
example creating events for every Fedora Test Day, post pictures from
events etc.).

And every social network is somehow specific, so I don't think there is
a tool to rule them all. Writing style for Twitter is definitely
different than writing style for FB/G+. And I personally don't like FB
statuses that are just forwarded tweets from Twitter.

I maintain accounts of Fedora CZ and Red Hat Czech at FB/G+/Twitter. I
used to send the same messages to all of them from one tool and stopped
doing so because people didn't like it. They want Twitter-style messages
at Twitter, events and G+-style messages at G+.

That's why I'd prefer a group of people who would post messages and
create events, add pictures manually instead of just hooking up the
accounts to RSS feeds or using one tool to send messages to all of them.

Jiri

Old 08-28-2012, 05:00 PM
Arnav Kalra

I agree with jiri's thoughts. Each social network has a different style so we need to post in a different way.

Making a separate social marketing list makes sense to me.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:18 PM
Joerg Simon

On 28.08.2012 17:47, Jiri Eischmann wrote:
> That's why I'd prefer a group of people who would post messages and
> create events, add pictures manually instead of just hooking up the
> accounts to RSS feeds or using one tool to send messages to all of them.

I agree on the style question. I can not estimate Twitter post styles,
because i do not personally like Twitter - i know that there is
https://twitter.com/planetfedora
but thats it.

And i agree that it would be nice to see events that we have on
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Events also appear as a event on g+ or
other places where we can place events like at linkedin. I created
Events several times on linkedin and also find me listed as the admin on
http://www.linkedin.com/company/fedora-project ...

i think such things are primary a mentoring job so that people are
active that way by sharing on more places - i do not think having a
group of people and doing the boring work of screening and reposting all
the relevant stuff -just because they are the admins for a g+ site is
the way this will work - maybe a combination of both will work ...

But we actually do parse tags/categories for fedora-only-blogposts on
the planet anyway for the
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Planet_JustFedora
and i do not see a reason why we should not at least take them to g+ if
there is a need for content - but you already mentioned this would be a
improvement

cu Joerg

Old 08-29-2012, 12:07 AM
Vinzenz Vietzke

Am 28.08.2012 17:47, schrieb Jiri Eischmann:
> I maintain accounts of Fedora CZ and Red Hat Czech at FB/G+/Twitter. I
> used to send the same messages to all of them from one tool and stopped
> doing so because people didn't like it. They want Twitter-style messages
> at Twitter, events and G+-style messages at G+.
>
> That's why I'd prefer a group of people who would post messages and
> create events, add pictures manually instead of just hooking up the
> accounts to RSS feeds or using one tool to send messages to all of them.

I totally agree with you Jiri!
Tweets are written totally different from FB oder G+ posts - and vice versa.

Sure resharing links is convenient and sometimes useful. But this
approach is defective by design as it leaves out the most important
factor on social networks: the social thing.
People don't want to consume passively on social networks. If they do
so, they'd visit websites or subscribe RSS feeds. On Twitter, FB or G+
they want to get news as well as help, see funny things, grab a sticker
from a sweepstake and mostly they want to comment on things. They want
to interact with people!

I think it would be worth a mint, to have a team that answers questions,
points out where to get help or tells about new things on the Fedora
Project. (Ok, you're right: normally companies have such a team of paid
employees. )

Mozilla has an somewhat hardcorely open approach on that with their
"Army of Awesome". They collect Mozilla-related tweets and anyone
visiting that website can try to answer or help. [1]

I'd propose a way somewhere in between:
A relatively big team of Ambassadors and Marketeers, maybe around ~20
people. They have a look at the buzz going on at various social networks
an try act on trouble, spread word etc.
Imagine someone ranting on twitter on some "crappy thing in Fedora" and
the social network team could show him where to get help or to find a
solution. That guy would be way less angry, as Fedora at least tried to
help him - even if the problem can't be solved.
--> Big win for all of us!

What'cha think?

[1] http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/army-of-awesome
--
Vinzenz Vietzke

B1 Systems GmbH

Old 08-29-2012, 02:11 AM
Arnav Kalra

> I'd propose a way somewhere in between:

> A relatively big team of Ambassadors and Marketeers, maybe around ~20

> people. They have a look at the buzz going on at various social networks

> an try act on trouble, spread word etc.

> Imagine someone ranting on twitter on some "crappy thing in Fedora" and

> the social network team could show him where to get help or to find a

> solution. That guy would be way less angry, as Fedora at least tried to

> help him - even if the problem can't be solved.

> --> Big win for all of us!

> What'cha think?

+1

I would like to help with this. I am active on Google plus.

We can also create a list of people who blog or post about Linux.

We should monitor their content for anything related to fedora and reply if needed.

Old 08-29-2012, 02:21 AM
Ankur Sinha

On Wed, 2012-08-29 at 07:41 +0530, Arnav Kalra wrote:
> +1
> I would like to help with this. I am active on Google plus.
> We can also create a list of people who blog or post about Linux.
> We should monitor their content for anything related to fedora and
> reply if needed.

We already monitor the webs for fedora postings. Any news/publications
about fedora can be sent to the list with [in the news] in the subject.

We're supposed to be collating them all on the wiki page. Not sure how
that's been going either. Another thing that needs reactivation? :/

As you'll see, there isn't even a page for F17[1]! :$

[1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_press_archive

--
Thanks,
Warm regards,