-   -   Draft of Fedora Java Marketing Brief (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-marketing/698311-draft-fedora-java-marketing-brief.html)

Dan Allen 08-28-2012 04:23 AM

Draft of Fedora Java Marketing Brief

As promised, I have drafted a marketing brief* about Fedora Java. "Fedora Java" is about making Fedora the preferred environment of choice for Java and JVM platform development.
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Java/Fedora_Java_Marketing_Brief

Here's the TL;DR:
* Java is one of the most popular languages (#2 @ Tiobe Index, #5 @ github, #1 @ sourceforge)
* ~ 8 million Java developers
* JVM supports many other languages, which means even more developers

* < 1% of these developers use Fedora
* Fedora Java SIG has made creating Java packages easy, consistent w/ packaging guidelines
* Fedora has the latest and most popular stuff on the JVM platform, including Java 7 (OpenJDK), Eclipse 4.2, Maven 3, JBoss AS 7, Tomcat 7 and JBoss Tools

* A Fedora Java Spin is in the works (currently a Fedora Remix)
* Fedora should be the operating system of choice for JVM platform developers!
There have been huge strides made recently in the Fedora Java story, as I cover in the brief. That's why I think this is a good*storyline to pursue*when marketing Fedora 18. I think it can help attract a lot of developers to Fedora and in return, those developers will hit the ground running with this comprehensive development stack.

-Dan
* or what I think is a marketing brief :)
--
Dan AllenPrincipal Software Engineer, Red Hat | Author of Seam in Action
Registered Linux User #231597

http://google.com/profiles/dan.j.allen
http://mojavelinux.com
http://mojavelinux.com/seaminaction

Adrian Soliard 09-03-2012 01:03 PM

Draft of Fedora Java Marketing Brief

I think it's a very good idea. I'd like to use a distribution like
that in the university.
I'm studing software development (Programación in spanish), and in the
university, we use eclipse, jboss tools, hibernate, and tomcat, also
firebird database (sucks!) and flamerobin, but I don't know if we can
use OpenJDK, for example.
I think that the distribution can be used in all the universities in
Argentina where my career is given, because Java is the develpment
lenguage that is teached.

Sorry about my english.

2012/8/28 Dan Allen <dan.j.allen@gmail.com>:
> As promised, I have drafted a marketing brief* about Fedora Java. "Fedora
> Java" is about making Fedora the preferred environment of choice for Java
> and JVM platform development.
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Java/Fedora_Java_Marketing_Brief
>
> Here's the TL;DR:
>
> * Java is one of the most popular languages (#2 @ Tiobe Index, #5 @ github,
> #1 @ sourceforge)
> * ~ 8 million Java developers
> * JVM supports many other languages, which means even more developers
> * < 1% of these developers use Fedora
> * Fedora Java SIG has made creating Java packages easy, consistent w/
> packaging guidelines
> * Fedora has the latest and most popular stuff on the JVM platform,
> including Java 7 (OpenJDK), Eclipse 4.2, Maven 3, JBoss AS 7, Tomcat 7 and
> JBoss Tools
> * A Fedora Java Spin is in the works (currently a Fedora Remix)
> * Fedora should be the operating system of choice for JVM platform
> developers!
>
> There have been huge strides made recently in the Fedora Java story, as I
> cover in the brief. That's why I think this is a good storyline to pursue
> when marketing Fedora 18. I think it can help attract a lot of developers to
> Fedora and in return, those developers will hit the ground running with this
> comprehensive development stack.
>
> -Dan
>
> * or what I think is a marketing brief :)
>
> --
> Dan Allen
> Principal Software Engineer, Red Hat | Author of Seam in Action
> Registered Linux User #231597
>
> http://google.com/profiles/dan.j.allen
> http://mojavelinux.com
> http://mojavelinux.com/seaminaction