Old 08-17-2012, 07:13 PM
Robyn Bergeron

Default Helping to improve advertising of test days and other things

Hey,

So, I was just hanging out in the weekly kernel meeting on IRC, and
asked how their virtual fad for kernel regression testing went, and
heard that they had incredibly low turnout, and it was also noted that
test days in general kind of have low or less than we'd like to have
turnout. Which seems like something we can help with, in a few ways:

#1: Work with the QA team to help them figure out how to get information
to us so that we can get it out to various channels - twitter, facebook,
etc. - and what information we'd need and when.

A lot of times, it seems like testing might sound daunting/"not for me"
when in reality, it might be easy or take 5 minutes or etc. So maybe
things we could ask for would be...

* How long does this take?
* Is this "easy", "hard," ... what skills do you need?
* Is this a "you just need a USB key and a way to download" or is this
potentially going to destroy your system?

For the kernel regression virtual fad - which wasn't really a test day -
as an example, it's (a) got the word "kernel" in it, which I think
automatically makes a lot of people say "uhoh, not for me," even though
there may have been ways for them to participate.

Anyway: it seems like something we could add value to - just with
something like, "Send us your info a week in advance, we'll work up some
tweets or content and help drive folks back to you."

#2: See if there are additional things we could produce that can help
people get acquainted with the idea or process of testing.

Maybe a video how-to? Not really sure here what would be valuable -
would be something to reach out to the QA folks about.

#3: Josh Boyer added in the kernel meeting that it would be cool to just
have a "Boot the rawhide kernel today. Does it work? Tell us why or why
not" type of thing - I don' tknow if that would be targeted as a once a
week type thing, or what. Maybe this would be an interesting thing to
tackle - how can we help them make this sound less daunting/more
friendly, get the word out, and have fun with it? Maybe a quick
screencast of how to walk through this type of thing from start to finish?

Thoughts, comments? Anyone willing to reach out to either QA or the
kernel folks to pick their brains on this one?

-Robyn

Old 08-17-2012, 08:17 PM
Jason Brooks

On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 12:13 PM, Robyn Bergeron <rbergero@redhat.com> wrote:
> Hey,
>
> So, I was just hanging out in the weekly kernel meeting on IRC, and asked
> how their virtual fad for kernel regression testing went, and heard that
> they had incredibly low turnout, and it was also noted that test days in
> general kind of have low or less than we'd like to have turnout. Which
> seems like something we can help with, in a few ways:
>
> #1: Work with the QA team to help them figure out how to get information to
> us so that we can get it out to various channels - twitter, facebook, etc. -
> and what information we'd need and when.
>
> A lot of times, it seems like testing might sound daunting/"not for me" when
> in reality, it might be easy or take 5 minutes or etc. So maybe things we
> could ask for would be...
>
> * How long does this take?
> * Is this "easy", "hard," ... what skills do you need?
> * Is this a "you just need a USB key and a way to download" or is this
> potentially going to destroy your system?
>
> For the kernel regression virtual fad - which wasn't really a test day - as
> an example, it's (a) got the word "kernel" in it, which I think
> automatically makes a lot of people say "uhoh, not for me," even though
> there may have been ways for them to participate.
>
> Anyway: it seems like something we could add value to - just with something
> like, "Send us your info a week in advance, we'll work up some tweets or
> content and help drive folks back to you."
>
> #2: See if there are additional things we could produce that can help people
> get acquainted with the idea or process of testing.
>
> Maybe a video how-to? Not really sure here what would be valuable - would be
> something to reach out to the QA folks about.
>
> #3: Josh Boyer added in the kernel meeting that it would be cool to just
> have a "Boot the rawhide kernel today. Does it work? Tell us why or why not"
> type of thing - I don' tknow if that would be targeted as a once a week type
> thing, or what. Maybe this would be an interesting thing to tackle - how can
> we help them make this sound less daunting/more friendly, get the word out,
> and have fun with it? Maybe a quick screencast of how to walk through this
> type of thing from start to finish?
>
> Thoughts, comments? Anyone willing to reach out to either QA or the kernel
> folks to pick their brains on this one?

Great idea -- It's important for Fedora, and also important for all
the projects that rely on Fedora. I'm in itch-scratching mode right
now due to a 3.5 regression that broke oVirt, and I'd want to know
about/participate in this testing myself.

I'm down to reach out to them. Can you point me in the right direction?

Jason

Old 08-20-2012, 02:51 PM
Jiri Eischmann

Robyn Bergeron p*še v Pá 17. 08. 2012 v 12:13 -0700:
> Hey,
>
> So, I was just hanging out in the weekly kernel meeting on IRC, and
> asked how their virtual fad for kernel regression testing went, and
> heard that they had incredibly low turnout, and it was also noted that
> test days in general kind of have low or less than we'd like to have
> turnout. Which seems like something we can help with, in a few ways:
>
> #1: Work with the QA team to help them figure out how to get information
> to us so that we can get it out to various channels - twitter, facebook,
> etc. - and what information we'd need and when.
>
> A lot of times, it seems like testing might sound daunting/"not for me"
> when in reality, it might be easy or take 5 minutes or etc. So maybe
> things we could ask for would be...
>
> * How long does this take?
> * Is this "easy", "hard," ... what skills do you need?
> * Is this a "you just need a USB key and a way to download" or is this
> potentially going to destroy your system?
>
> For the kernel regression virtual fad - which wasn't really a test day -
> as an example, it's (a) got the word "kernel" in it, which I think
> automatically makes a lot of people say "uhoh, not for me," even though
> there may have been ways for them to participate.
>
> Anyway: it seems like something we could add value to - just with
> something like, "Send us your info a week in advance, we'll work up some
> tweets or content and help drive folks back to you."
>
> #2: See if there are additional things we could produce that can help
> people get acquainted with the idea or process of testing.
>
> Maybe a video how-to? Not really sure here what would be valuable -
> would be something to reach out to the QA folks about.
>
> #3: Josh Boyer added in the kernel meeting that it would be cool to just
> have a "Boot the rawhide kernel today. Does it work? Tell us why or why
> not" type of thing - I don' tknow if that would be targeted as a once a
> week type thing, or what. Maybe this would be an interesting thing to
> tackle - how can we help them make this sound less daunting/more
> friendly, get the word out, and have fun with it? Maybe a quick
> screencast of how to walk through this type of thing from start to finish?
>
> Thoughts, comments? Anyone willing to reach out to either QA or the
> kernel folks to pick their brains on this one?

I've been thinking about how to improve test days promotion for some
time. A few thoughts:

If we want to have more people testing Fedora we need to have
appropriate infrastructure first. Frankly, wiki is not scalable for
receiving test results. It's OK if you have 10-15 participants
throughout the day, but it's PIA if you have more. There were about 40
people participating in the power management test day and they had
serious problems to submit results (conflicts all the time). Not
mentioned that for some people, editing wiki is not very friendly. I
spoke about this with the QA guys so much that they started working on
some submitting system, but it's just at the beginning and doesn't have
a high priority for them.

Real (not online) events might be worth exploring. We did it for the F17
power management test day during our office's open house. It was by far
the most attended test day and people were enjoying testing Fedora
together and with people that have the best insight in to the area (our
power management engineers in this case).

We have to talk about them more. People that represent Fedora should
blog about it, talk about it at conferences, post announcements at
national community sites etc. If I and Jaroslav Reznik attend a general
Linux conference in our region we propose a talk "How To Contribute to
Fedora Project" and it's mostly about test days because testing is an
entry level contribution everyone can do. We go through test cases with
people and show them it's actually quite easy to take part in test days.
And we tell them that testing prior to the final release is very
important.

Red Hat opened an intern position in Brno office for someone who would
coordinate test days promotion. Unfortunately, they haven't yet found a
good fit, a student who is a Fedora enthusiast and interested in
testing.

Jiri

Old 08-20-2012, 04:58 PM
Arnav Kalra

Maybe we should release virtualbox/vmware images so that people can easily test fedora. Is fedora on Google plus? If yes then we can schedule events on Google plus and send invites.

Old 08-20-2012, 05:14 PM
Mirn Duffy

On Mon, 2012-08-20 at 16:51 +0200, Jiri Eischmann wrote:
> If we want to have more people testing Fedora we need to have
> appropriate infrastructure first. Frankly, wiki is not scalable for
> receiving test results. It's OK if you have 10-15 participants
> throughout the day, but it's PIA if you have more. There were about 40
> people participating in the power management test day and they had
> serious problems to submit results (conflicts all the time). Not
> mentioned that for some people, editing wiki is not very friendly. I
> spoke about this with the QA guys so much that they started working on
> some submitting system, but it's just at the beginning and doesn't have
> a high priority for them.

Would Gobby be an improvement?

~m

Old 08-20-2012, 05:25 PM
Arnav Kalra

What is gobby?

Old 08-20-2012, 06:09 PM
Jiri Eischmann

Máir*n Duffy p*še v Po 20. 08. 2012 v 13:14 -0400:
> On Mon, 2012-08-20 at 16:51 +0200, Jiri Eischmann wrote:
> > If we want to have more people testing Fedora we need to have
> > appropriate infrastructure first. Frankly, wiki is not scalable for
> > receiving test results. It's OK if you have 10-15 participants
> > throughout the day, but it's PIA if you have more. There were about 40
> > people participating in the power management test day and they had
> > serious problems to submit results (conflicts all the time). Not
> > mentioned that for some people, editing wiki is not very friendly. I
> > spoke about this with the QA guys so much that they started working on
> > some submitting system, but it's just at the beginning and doesn't have
> > a high priority for them.
>
> Would Gobby be an improvement?

Gobby might solve the conflicts, but otherwise I don't think it'd be a
good solution.

What they're working on is forms saving results into a database. It will
be easier for testers to submit test results and definitely easier for
engineers to process the results, make stats etc. That's another issue
with wiki, it's quite difficult to parse tables and process the data
automatically.

Jiri

Old 08-20-2012, 06:19 PM
Jiri Eischmann

Arnav Kalra p*še v Po 20. 08. 2012 v 22:28 +0530:
> Maybe we should release virtualbox/vmware images so that people can
> easily test fedora. Is fedora on Google plus? If yes then we can
> schedule events on Google plus and send invites.

The problem is that many test days require testing on bare metal,
they're usually the most important ones (power management, graphics
drivers,...). But it might be useful for others.
Fedora is on G+, but I have no idea who is in charge of the account.

Jiri

Old 08-20-2012, 06:41 PM
Arnav Kalra

I have a netbook which i can use for this purpose. How can i help?
Regards,
Arnav Kalra
104, Sector 14
Karnal - 132001
Mobile - +91 9896961018
Home - +91 184 4030104

Old 08-20-2012, 06:43 PM
Arnav Kalra

The google plus account has not been updated since fedora 17's release. We should do something about it. Also it looks bland.
Regards,
Arnav Kalra
104, Sector 14
Karnal - 132001