Old 08-16-2012, 11:28 PM
Jason Brooks

Default regarding fedora google alerts...

A few months ago, I set up Google Alert rss feed tracking "Fedora AND
linux" and hooked that feed to a planet instance running on OpenShift:
http://venus1-jeb.rhcloud.com/

There's a gap in there, caused, I think, by me not looking at the
planet page for a time, perhaps leading the openshift instance to go
dormant... I'll keep an eye on it.

I can get this piped into the wiki, but there's a certain amount of
lousy and/or repeated items that turn up, and a fair number of them
overall. I'm going to think of some easy or automatic filtering or
vetting of these items.

Any suggestions on that? Maybe a pickier set of search terms, or some
selective source banning (not sure if that's a google alerts option or
not).

Regards, Jason

Old 08-16-2012, 11:43 PM
Christopher Meng

Hi

I think that this is lousy,too.

And questions:
1.Why do you do this ?

2.Do you think it useful for marketing?

--

Yours sincerely,
Christopher Meng

Ambassador/Contributor of Fedora Project and many others.
http://cicku.me

Old 08-16-2012, 11:46 PM
Christopher Meng

Look at August 11 one,

Why Fedora 13?

I think we can monitor Fedora 16-18 and blahblahblah...

Just my opinion ,don't mind if you dislike.

Old 08-17-2012, 12:31 AM
Jayson Rowe

On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 7:46 PM, Christopher Meng <cickumqt@gmail.com> wrote:
> Look at August 11 one,
>
> Why Fedora 13?
>
> I think we can monitor Fedora 16-18 and blahblahblah...
>
> Just my opinion ,don't mind if you dislike.
>

> --
>

> Yours sincerely,
> Christopher Meng
>
> Ambassador/Contributor of Fedora Project and many others.
> http://cicku.me

I think it's an awesome idea. I agree though about the duplicate
items, and it seems there would be far more results than what is there
now...It seems it could be tweaked into something useful though.

Christopher, I think it's useful (for marketing) because it's an easy
way to see when stories (positive or negative) get posted on the web
on established tech sites, or even personal blogs.

--
-jayson

Old 08-17-2012, 12:45 AM
Jason Brooks

On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 4:43 PM, Christopher Meng <cickumqt@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I think that this is lousy,too.
>
> And questions:
> 1.Why do you do this ?

In the marketing meeting today
(http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/marketing/2012-August/014414.html),
we talked about keeping the press mentions page on the wiki up to date
with a script fed by google alerts. This is in reference to that.

> 2.Do you think it useful for marketing?

Yes, I think it's useful to be aware of press mentions. Fedora users
can share stories of interest with others, thereby helping spread the
word. Also, tracking who writes about Fedora can help us pitch stories
about Fedora to these people.

Old 08-17-2012, 12:48 AM
Jason Brooks

On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 4:46 PM, Christopher Meng <cickumqt@gmail.com> wrote:
> Look at August 11 one,
>
> Why Fedora 13?
>
> I think we can monitor Fedora 16-18 and blahblahblah...

Yes, specifying version numbers in the google alert keyword text might
get us better results. What do you mean by blahblahblah?

Old 08-17-2012, 12:51 AM
Christopher Meng

OK.

I understand.

BTW,are there any other things to display?

And,is this page in English only?

Old 08-17-2012, 01:02 AM
Jason Brooks

On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 5:51 PM, Christopher Meng <cickumqt@gmail.com> wrote:
> OK.
>
> I understand.
>
> BTW,are there any other things to display?
>
> And,is this page in English only?

For one thing, I forgot that the feed that feeds this is set to
"Everything" and I can limit it to "News" (everything includes,
discussions, blogs, videos, etc.) and can further limit it to only the
"Best" results (not sure exactly how that's determined) so that can
give better results -- though I did notice duplicates were an issue.

It's not my intention that this page would be an end-result, it's like
an experiment toward a more polished end product.

The google alert I set up is from the US Google site, and it's all
English, but I just checked Google's Mexico site, and they have alerts
there, as well. I imagine there are versions for many locales.

This page is a planet, so there can be multiple feeds, different
languages would come in handy for sure.