Old 05-31-2012, 05:48 PM
inode0

Default The Inquirier on F17

On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 9:22 AM, "Jˇhann B. Gu­mundsson"
<johannbg@gmail.com> wrote:
> Here we come to one of the core issues of Red Hat vs The Fedora community as
> in we ( the community ) do not view RHEL release being one function of the
> Fedora Project.

The community is large and comes to Fedora for a lot of reasons. Some
people in community, I am one of them, did in fact come in no small
part because of the downstream consumption of Fedora in RHEL.

> Red Hat certainly believes it to be one of the function the project however
> we ( the community ) certainly don't nor should we as an project allow any
> sponsor Red Hat or otherwise have any influence either directly or
> indirectly of the project and it's direction.

I hope most of the community does care about the goals and interests
of its users (both end users of the distribution as well as downstream
consumers of the distribution). That doesn't mean the community has to
do anything to help achieve those goals and interests, but it seems
idiotic to ignore them entirely and to not help contributors achieve
their goals so long as they are consistent with the project goals.

John

Old 05-31-2012, 08:05 PM
Gianluca Sforna

Thanks Paul (and Robyn) for your reply

On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 2:39 PM, Paul W. Frields <stickster@gmail.com> wrote:
> There's a big difference between "Fedora is a beta and users are
> guinea pigs," and "Fedora is a place where *any contributor* can work
> on new technical features and put them in front of millions of users
> as part of a free and open source software development process."

Yeah, I'm sorry for pushing the "drama" button on the first
characterization but at least I've got a decent answer from 2
different project leaders

> Being the proving ground for new technology that might be in a future
> RHEL release is only one function of the Fedora Project. *Of course
> that function is quite important to Red Hat, and a reason why Red Hat
> continues to put substantail resources into Fedora. *But it's not the
> only thing the Fedora Project does, and as you know lots of
> contributors have their own reasons to participate as well.

So correct me if I'm getting it wrong: you are saying that Red Hat
does in fact invest in Fedora so it can push new technologies early
and prove their usefulness and reliability before adding them to RHEL.
Robyn's addition makes it even more clear that "proving ground" is not
necessarily a bad thing, and everyone is welcome to play with the same
rules to make each Fedora release the best.

Of course, while I see the concept pretty easily, I think the problem
will not go away soon because the link between Red Hat and Fedora
appears to be pretty tight to a casual observer, and "proving ground"
can be (and I've seen it was) misrepresented to mean something like
"place where you throw things together hoping that they will stick".

We just need to pay attention and be prepared to counter this kind of
misinformation

Anyway, thank you again for your insight on the topic.

--
Gianluca Sforna

http://morefedora.blogspot.com
http://identi.ca/giallu - http://twitter.com/giallu

Old 05-31-2012, 08:07 PM
Gianluca Sforna

On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 5:36 PM, inode0 <inode0@gmail.com> wrote:
> http://www.redhat.com/about/news/press-archive/2012/5/fedora17-provides-potent-virtualization-cloud-features-and-enhanced-desktop-and-developer-functionality
>
> I can't help but read that as a sponsor expressing in public how proud
> it is of the community it works with.

Seconded. This is actually a very well written press release;
additionally it avoids the "proving ground" trap altogether