Old 03-28-2012, 03:39 PM
Steven Shaffer

Default Self-Introduction: Steven Shaffer

Hi, my name is Steven Shaffer and I live in Gilbert, Arizona, U.S.A.
My Fedora Account System (FAS) username is stevenbshaffer, and my IRC
nick is N/A (Yet!)
I learned about the Fedora Marketing team through Robyn "first female
leader" Bergeron, and am interested in joining because I am a geek
with Marketing talent who loves open-source.
This is the first FOSS project I have worked on though I'm quite
familiar with many OSS projects. Some of the projects I've worked on,
or communities I've been involved with, include ...(None yet, this is
the first.)
I've worked in Marketing in the past, I have roughly 10 yrs
experience. Some of the projects I've worked on, or roles I've had,
include: Marketing Manager, Marketing Communications Manager, Product
Manager, Marketing Consultant, Director of Marketing, Product
Marketing consultant, Market Research Analyst, Copywriter, Social
Media Manager, blah, blah, for companies ranging from Fortune 500 to
startup

My skills, which I hope to utilize in Fedora Marketing, include all the above
I'd also like to learn why marketing for open source projects other
than Wordpress stinks so bad in general.
When I'm not working on Fedora, I am (currently) a marketing
consultant for small businesses and studying database programming and
web development at Mesa Community College in Mesa, AZ.
A couple of goals I have for the Fedora Project are...to create a
couple of goals for the Fedora Project. I would also like to see
something awesome (any ideas?) happen in Fedora.

I am wondering about how I can... help Fedora's Marketing rock!

Sorry this is such a lifeless intro. Truly I'm usually much more dynamic!

Steve
480-399-2574
@stevenbshaffer

Old 03-28-2012, 03:57 PM
Máirín Duffy

Hi Steve!

I'm excited to see you on board

On Wed, 2012-03-28 at 08:39 -0700, Steven Shaffer wrote:
> I am wondering about how I can... help Fedora's Marketing rock!

Well, I have a couple of ideas for projects you might be interested in?
I worked with the Fedora websites team and Fedora design teams on the
new fedoraproject.org website that launched a couple of releases ago.
The content is starting to get a little stale I think. Some areas where
we could use new content / new ideas:

* Fedora user interviews & tutorials:
http://fedoraproject.org/en/using/

* Fedora features & screenshots:
http://fedoraproject.org/en/features/

* Join Fedora
http://fedoraproject.org/en/join-fedora

Another project currently being worked on is revamping the Fedora
brochure that's handed out at conferences. Here's the current version:

http://pfrields.fedorapeople.org/documents/fedora-flyer-2010-06/

Here's a draft of the revamp:

http://duffy.fedorapeople.org/temp/brochure/

Any of your thoughts / ideas / help on these would absolutely be
appreciated.

~m

Old 03-28-2012, 04:26 PM
Robyn Bergeron

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 8:39 AM, Steven Shaffer
<stevenbshaffer@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, my name is Steven Shaffer and I live in Gilbert, Arizona, U.S.A.
> My Fedora Account System (FAS) username is stevenbshaffer, and my IRC
> nick is N/A (Yet!)

Mr. Shaffer, WELCOME

Maybe we should meet up at gangplank one day soon and I can show you
some of the more fun IRC bits.

In the meantime, here's a web client that you can click to use (not as
easy as having something on your desktop):
http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=#fedora-mktg

And more general information about IRC here:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/IRC

-Robyn