-   -   Five years of open-source Java: Freedom isn't (quite) free (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-marketing/600056-five-years-open-source-java-freedom-isnt-quite-free.html)

Rahul Sundaram 11-18-2011 05:59 PM

Five years of open-source Java: Freedom isn't (quite) free

Hi

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/11/13/open_sourcing_java_five_year_anniversary/

"Two years after Java was delivered under the GPL we saw the first
release of the Sun-led OpenJDK project for a Java Development Kit built
using free and open-source code; that spawned the IcedT project lead by
Red Hat, to build an even freer OpenJDK - the OpenJDK had contained a
class-path exception to exempt from the GPL certain portions of the code
that Sun or others still owned and open sourcers couldn't touch. A
version of IcedT shipped with Fedora in 2008 that was compatible with
Sun's official spec."

Rahul

Rahul Sundaram 12-10-2011 01:10 PM

Five years of open-source Java: Freedom isn't (quite) free

Hi

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/11/13/open_sourcing_java_five_year_anniversary/

"Two years after Java was delivered under the GPL we saw the first
release of the Sun-led OpenJDK project for a Java Development Kit built
using free and open-source code; that spawned the IcedT project lead by
Red Hat, to build an even freer OpenJDK - the OpenJDK had contained a
class-path exception to exempt from the GPL certain portions of the code
that Sun or others still owned and open sourcers couldn't touch. A
version of IcedTea shipped with Fedora in 2008 that was compatible with
Sun's official spec"

Rahul