Old 10-03-2011, 08:40 PM
Rahul Sundaram

Default Ask Fedora : Marketing strategy

Hi

http://ask.fedoraproject.org has been launched quietly a while back and
I am using it to get some feedback on the site and seed in some
questions and answers by selectively announcing in some places.

I would like to advertise this more widely in sync with Fedora 16
release. What is the best strategy for this? I can do a announcement
to the Fedora announce list. Would a press release be feasible?

Rahul

Old 10-03-2011, 09:11 PM
Jenee

I have written a number of press releases for various organizations with good success. Where where you thinking of submitting it?

Old 10-04-2011, 06:59 AM
Jesús Franco

On 03/10/11 15:40, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Hi
>
> http://ask.fedoraproject.org has been launched quietly a while back and
> I am using it to get some feedback on the site and seed in some
> questions and answers by selectively announcing in some places.

Nice app! It feels like it could be a very friendly forum for many users
and contributors.

> I would like to advertise this more widely in sync with Fedora 16
> release. What is the best strategy for this? I can do a announcement
> to the Fedora announce list. Would a press release be feasible?
>
> Rahul

IMHO, it should be a fine way to give users a friendly way to ask for
guidance without the burden of subscribing to a whole mailing
list/searching forever in infinite forum topics or plenty of wiki pages.

This said, i'd like a lot to read/write in a Spanish biased deployment.
Do you think is better taking it outside *.fedoraproject.org domain, to
regional project, i.e. proyectofedora.org (Latam)?

Best regards,

--
Jesús Franco

Old 10-04-2011, 07:36 AM
Gianluca Sforna

On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 10:40 PM, Rahul Sundaram <metherid@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> http://ask.fedoraproject.org has been launched quietly a while back and
> I am using it to get some feedback on the site and seed in some
> questions and answers by selectively announcing in some places.

I'd like to blog about it in Italian, is this a good timing or do you
want to wait a bit?

Additionally, are there plans about localized instances?

Thank you very much for working on that

G.

--
Gianluca Sforna

http://morefedora.blogspot.com
http://identi.ca/giallu - http://twitter.com/giallu

Old 10-04-2011, 09:26 AM
Rahul Sundaram

On 10/04/2011 02:41 AM, Jenee wrote:
> I have written a number of press releases for various organizations with good success. Where where you thinking of submitting it?

Usually press releases are handled by Red Hat marketing on behalf of
Fedora Project.

Rahul

Old 10-04-2011, 09:39 AM
Rahul Sundaram

On 10/04/2011 12:29 PM, Jesús Franco wrote:

> This said, i'd like a lot to read/write in a Spanish biased deployment.
> Do you think is better taking it outside *.fedoraproject.org domain, to
> regional project, i.e. proyectofedora.org (Latam)?

Askbot, the software behind Ask Fedora does support I18N directly so we
can handle it all in a single instance in ask.fp.o. I have also
confirmed with Red Hat legal that any kind of question and answer is ok
and since it is user generated content, can be treated like users
mailing list. So that isn't a problem either. Askbot itself is fully
localized in many languages and they even switched over to using
Transifex recently based on my recommendation.

The reason why I haven't enabled it is because currently all languages
have a single view (ie) if I ask a question in English and ask another
in Spanish, it will be in a single page. That is messy and confusing.
What we need is support for subforums or split views and perhaps per
language administrators etc. I have requested this upstream and they
have committed to working on it but I have other higher priority bug
fixes and feature requests (ie) things that would affect everyone
regardless of the language.

If you have a compelling reason to run your own instance, Askbot and
dependencies are available in Fedora 15+ and EPEL 6 and I have
documentation on setting it up as a README within the package and at

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Ask_Fedora_SOP

We have done the packaging carefully with input from upstream and Fedora
infrastructure team members so that it is easy to get started and run
multiple instances from a single package. My recommendation however is
to wait it out a bit and I will look into getting different language
communities within the single forum instance. That would reduce the
administrative burden and has the value of not splintering the community
of people who are interested in troubleshooting issues, sharing
knowledge and helping users. Hope that answers you.

Rahul

Old 10-04-2011, 09:45 AM
Rahul Sundaram

On 10/04/2011 01:06 PM, Gianluca Sforna wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 10:40 PM, Rahul Sundaram <metherid@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> http://ask.fedoraproject.org has been launched quietly a while back and
>> I am using it to get some feedback on the site and seed in some
>> questions and answers by selectively announcing in some places.
>
> I'd like to blog about it in Italian, is this a good timing or do you
> want to wait a bit?

It depends on how much traffic we will get because of it. I have tested
in for months via devel and staging instances but the production
instance is only a few days old and we are running without issue. We
should be able to handle several hundred users just fine. Beyond that,
I haven't tested and noone has a bigger deployment of this software. I
think it is ok to blog but the goal for now is get some input on what
works or doesn't. So encourage people to provide feedback, good or
otherwise.

> Additionally, are there plans about localized instances?

Yes For details, refer to my reply to Jesús Franco

> Thank you very much for working on that

You are welcome.

Rahul

Old 10-04-2011, 02:29 PM
Vinzenz Vietzke

Am 03.10.2011 22:40, schrieb Rahul Sundaram:
> I would like to advertise this more widely in sync with Fedora 16
> release. What is the best strategy for this? I can do a announcement
> to the Fedora announce list. Would a press release be feasible?

The idea and making of Ask Fedora is great. Very good job!

I think a crucial point is the look of it's web interface.
The colours used are already fitting Fedora's identity but how about
adapting things like a logo, rounded corners and other things from
fedoraproject.org?

In this way ask.fedoraproject.org would become more recognizable as a
"official" Fedora-related website.

Regards, vinz.
--
Vinzenz Vietzke
Fedora Events Ninja / Coordination German L10N Team

Mail: vietzke@b1-systems.de

B1 Systems GmbH

Old 10-05-2011, 02:33 PM
"Truong Anh. Tuan"

> and I am using it to get some feedback on the site and seed in some
> questions and answers by selectively announcing in some places.

Nice.

However, I think, it would be nicer if it also supports people login
with Fedora account, beside other ways.
I took a look around the login page [1] but I could not see that.
Your ideas?

[1] http://ask.fedoraproject.org/account/signin/

Kind regards,
Tuan

Old 10-05-2011, 09:05 PM
Vinzenz Vietzke

Am 05.10.2011 16:33, schrieb Truong Anh. Tuan:
> However, I think, it would be nicer if it also supports people login
> with Fedora account, beside other ways.

That's possible - thanks to OpenID. Simply use
<fas-username>.id.fedoraproject.org and you're done.

> I took a look around the login page [1] but I could not see that.
> Your ideas?

You're right. The login page is quite good but FAS-OpenId-login isn't
mentioned anywhere.